Season 2023-24 costume discussion | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Season 2023-24 costume discussion

noskates

Record Breaker
I've never cared for white on either the men or women. I think it just blends into the color of the ice and doesn't make much of a statement. Also agree about the nude mesh. Was watching an old program of Davis and White and didn't realize Meryl had a mesh back on her dress until she came off the ice. It was perfect! Also don't care for longish dresses on the women. Hated it when the dancers had ballroom length dresses and you couldn't hardly see their feet or their legs.

Katyaever

Rinkside
A lot of skaters order their dresses remotely and don't have an opportunity to try the mesh or check out the dress color in person, until it arrives ready. And no matter how many pictures you exchange and how much you describe it to the dress makers, it's always a bit of a hit or miss.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Nebelhorn Trophy:
Who is isabeau levito's dressmaker? I wonder who has more control over the outcome: isabeau or coach.
And wow, isn't Kimmy Repond's free skate dress amazing?! The short program dress is very nice too.
I only saw the short program dress of Alexia Paganini since there isn't an upload of her long program. But, the sp dress is really good.

icewhite

Record Breaker
A lot of skaters order their dresses remotely and don't have an opportunity to try the mesh or check out the dress color in person, until it arrives ready. And no matter how many pictures you exchange and how much you describe it to the dress makers, it's always a bit of a hit or miss.

Yes, that's certainly the case for not so elite or very young skaters, but elite ones? Going to world championships and such? We still see a lot of totally nonfitting mesh there and I just don't believe they are ordering their costumes over the internet and have no opportunity to try them on before. :jaw:

Katyaever

Rinkside
Yes, that's certainly the case for not so elite or very young skaters, but elite ones? Going to world championships and such? We still see a lot of totally nonfitting mesh there and I just don't believe they are ordering their costumes over the internet and have no opportunity to try them on before. :jaw:
Well, I don't obviously know about all of them, but for a few I do know, yes, that's what I've heard is the case. Sometimes the costume works, sometimes has to be reworked when it arrives, etc. Some dress makers offer a model where the dress is shipped over for a fitting and then is shipped back to be finished off. However, the basic construction of the dress, fabric, mesh is all in place for the initial fitting and it's just minor adjustments, take some in/loosen in spots and decorations that get applied. That's if the dress maker is in the same country, skaters I know order overseas a lot too, then it’s shipped fully ready.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Some of the mismatch could be due to the fact the costumes are made during the summer off-season and the skater in question is more tanned. Then as the season and training get underway the tan fades. I imagine it would be really fiddly to change out the "nude" parts of a dress to keep up with the change.

Although that's no excuse when it comes to tights!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
One of the things we could discuss is why the guys are so fond of all black costumes but - at least this year, now I've noticed it I can't unsee it 🫣 - hardly any of them seem to have discovered the magic trick (aka a good dye job) to have the same damn shade of black top and bottom.

It's weirdly distracting :palmf:
Just thank your lucky stars that they go for black rather than purple. There's a reason you see very little purple on tv and in films; the fabrics can seem to be a perfect match, but if one has been made with more red than blue, then they'll look completely different on screen. It's a nightmare. I have yet to find a worse colour for it.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Some of the mismatch could be due to the fact the costumes are made during the summer off-season and the skater in question is more tanned. Then as the season and training get underway the tan fades. I imagine it would be really fiddly to change out the "nude" parts of a dress to keep up with the change.

Although that's no excuse when it comes to tights!
When you consider how much time figure skaters spend inside an ice rink, this isn't actually much of a problem. At least, I haven't found it so. Yet.

noskates

Record Breaker
We're beating this to death, but I would think once a skater FINDS a mesh that suits their skin tone that they would always have that fabric,

rabidline

Final Flight
Rion Sumiyoshi kept her Enchantress FS and therefore, also kept her beautiful dress with the unique neckline and my favorite color combination. She also kept her hair styling which is not the usual bun or ponytail and I appreciate it a lot! This is one recycled dress I didn't mind seeing more of.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
We're beating this to death, but I would think once a skater FINDS a mesh that suits their skin tone that they would always have that fabric,
You'd think... But a skater who chose her perfect mesh skin tone one year ran out of time the following year for having costumes made because her mother threw a spanner in the works by insisting that the previous year's tone was wrong, with less than a week to go to the deadline. As it would mean choosing a new one and having it printed (because it's printed to order), time simply ran out. The costumier had wasted considerable time, effort and money on fabric and sample costumes and the girl and her partner ended up without costumes and very little time to sort anything else out. It's not always the skater. :cry:

Happily, this isn't the norm.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Nebelhorn Trophy:
Who is isabeau levito's dressmaker? I wonder who has more control over the outcome: isabeau or coach.
And wow, isn't Kimmy Repond's free skate dress amazing?! The short program dress is very nice too.
I only saw the short program dress of Alexia Paganini since there isn't an upload of her long program. But, the sp dress is really good.
I only just watched those two's LPs at Nebelhorn, had similar thoughts and saw your post!
Wow, I too wonder who is Isabeau's dressmaker but whoever she/he is, they managed to achieve something extraordinary - Isabeau is so slender not to say skinny but in this dress she looks like a penguin with an extra 'benefit' of attached feathers making her even bulkier. I do not know how she is able to get herself off the ground, pardon, ice but I was watching every take-off with more anxiety than usual :)
Has her mother any say I wonder, most Italians have a good fashion sense? Anyway I do hope someone in her close circle will do some straight talking and get her to burn THAT asap.
On the contrast Kimmy's dress was everything it should be - elegant & stylish, simple but very very effective! it gave me Caro's vibes (of her best costumes, she was not always on point have to be said)
Not sold on her SP dress, I dislike pink in general and that dark mesh ouch...
I will never stop missing Kiira Korpi where costumes concerned she was a visual delight... no one ever came close.

Katyaever

Rinkside
I only just watched those two's LPs at Nebelhorn, had similar thoughts and saw your post!
Wow, I too wonder who is Isabeau's dressmaker but whoever she/he is, they managed to achieve something extraordinary - Isabeau is so slender not to say skinny but in this dress she looks like a penguin with an extra 'benefit' of attached feathers making her even bulkier. I do not know how she is able to get herself off the ground, pardon, ice but I was watching every take-off with more anxiety than usual :)
Has her mother any say I wonder, most Italians have a good fashion sense? Anyway I do hope someone in her close circle will do some straight talking and get her to burn THAT asap.
On the contrast Kimmy's dress was everything it should be - elegant & stylish, simple but very very effective! it gave me Caro's vibes (of her best costumes, she was not always on point have to be said)
Not sold on her SP dress, I dislike pink in general and that dark mesh ouch...
I will never stop missing Kiira Korpi where costumes concerned she was a visual delight... no one ever came close.
I believe Isabeau's dresses are done by the Russian dressmaker, Axel (axeltrendsport on Instagram). They did her dresses last year and I think the year before.
Some of their dresses tend to turn out really nice. I think they tried to do outdo themselves this year and it didn't work very well, IMO.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I believe Isabeau's dresses are done by the Russian dressmaker, Axel (axeltrendsport on Instagram). They did her dresses last year and I think the year before.
Some of their dresses tend to turn out really nice. I think they tried to do outdo themselves this year and it didn't work very well, IMO.
A penguin dress and a mud snake crawling across the other:laugh:... you could say that

noskates

Record Breaker
Well with what elite skaters pay for those dresses I would expect them to get it right - no matter what season it's made in. Also don't like when they have buttons on one of the shoulders and the fabric bunches up around them. Tacky.