Country
Netherlands
Last edited:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Anyway to add a news prefix to this thread?

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Amei

Record Breaker
Canada does not seem to have the tools to deal with figure skating right now. They should scrap letting Canada host/organise anything and just give it to another country that has the ability.

Well given that they've announced this already, I would assume/hope that the ISU has spent the last year building contingency plans in place for different locations. The ISU probably has contracts in place with the host nations that limit the ISU's ability to say "you aren't fit to host an event right now, we are taking this event from you" so the ISU has to wait for the host nation to say they have to forego the competition, I noticed the article said "Skate Canada informed the International Skating Union it has cancelled" so this wasn't a decision by the ISU.

I think the big thing that makes me wonder with this announcement is how are skaters training in Canada going to be affected; will this result in some of those skaters foregoing the GP series.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well given that they've announced this already, I would assume/hope that the ISU has spent the last year building contingency plans in place for different locations. The ISU probably has contracts in place with the host nations that limit the ISU's ability to say "you aren't fit to host an event right now, we are taking this event from you" so the ISU has to wait for the host nation to say they have to forego the competition, I noticed the article said "Skate Canada informed the International Skating Union it has cancelled" so this wasn't a decision by the ISU.

I think the big thing that makes me wonder with this announcement is how are skaters training in Canada going to be affected; will this result in some of those skaters foregoing the GP series.

My understanding (not being Canadian) is that the decision is made by provinces as to ability to open up. These decisions are always made by the host country government, as far as I know? God forbid the ISU prioritize anything except holding comps😏 Then again, that is their focus, and provincial governments may have a different focus,

I'm not sure why it would affect skaters training in Canada? Again, there are no restrictions on vaccinated Canadians leaving for other countries (again as far as I know) and no longer a 14 day quarantine on re-entry for persons with approved vaccines. Jason was in Toronto as of early this month and is planning on skating in Sun Valley in September, so I doubt he is planning on skipping the GP :)

Amei

Record Breaker
My understanding (not being Canadian) is that the decision is made by provinces as to ability to open up. These decisions are always made by the host country government, as far as I know? God forbid the ISU prioritize anything except holding comps😏 Then again, that is their focus, and provincial governments may have a different focus,

I was just speaking to the comment that "They should scrap letting Canada host/organise anything and just give it to another country that has the ability" - which my impression of the comment was that the poster was saying the ISU should automatically strip the competitions given to Canada as of right now and give them to a different country. I don't think the ISU can make that decision; they didn't make this decision I don't know if they have the ability and whether it was Skate Canada, the Canadian government or Justin Bieber making the decision - bottom line is that it wasn't the ISU stepping in and saying we aren't letting you host an event;

I'm not sure why it would affect skaters training in Canada? Again, there are no restrictions on vaccinated Canadians leaving for other countries (again as far as I know) and no longer a 14 day quarantine on re-entry for persons with approved vaccines. Jason was in Toronto as of early this month and is planning on skating in Sun Valley in September, so I doubt he is planning on skipping the GP :)

I don't know all the specifics of what Canada's restrictions are, but I know we saw skaters not being able to train with their coaches last year (and I think 1-2 skaters ended up changing coaches due to travel restrictions to get to Canada) and I think there were a couple skaters that didn't do a GP due to government restrictions.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My understanding (not being Canadian) is that the decision is made by provinces as to ability to open up.
In this case, it's a federal government matter, specifically international travel. The federal government is being cautious about reopening the borders, especially for travel from outside North America.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was just speaking to the comment that "They should scrap letting Canada host/organise anything and just give it to another country that has the ability" - which my impression of the comment was that the poster was saying the ISU should automatically strip the competitions given to Canada as of right now and give them to a different country. I don't think the ISU can make that decision; they didn't make this decision I don't know if they have the ability and whether it was Skate Canada, the Canadian government or Justin Bieber making the decision - bottom line is that it wasn't the ISU stepping in and saying we aren't letting you host an event;

I don't know all the specifics of what Canada's restrictions are, but I know we saw skaters not being able to train with their coaches last year (and I think 1-2 skaters ended up changing coaches due to travel restrictions to get to Canada) and I think there were a couple skaters that didn't do a GP due to government restrictions.

I understand the comment about the ISU making the decision now. My only point is that it would be short sighted indeed for the ISU to penalize a country for future events based on the fed following health guidance from their government. For example, I think Worlds in Montreal is a great idea, and is still a great idea. :)

Last year was of course a very difficult year for crossing borders, I agree, but crossing at a land border US-Canada was possible. Air, not so much.

This year, I have no idea how many skaters who are not North American are training in Canada, I presume 99% of them are at I.AM if they are. Of course, Kevin Aymoz and Romain Ponsart didn't return to coaches in the US either, so it is not just a Canadian issue🤷‍♀️

In this case, it's a federal government matter, specifically international travel. The federal government is being cautious about reopening the borders, especially for travel from outside North America.

Thank you, that is good to know. I always prefer to err on the side of caution:)

Weathergal

Medalist
I understand the comment about the ISU making the decision now. My only point is that it would be short sighted indeed for the ISU to penalize a country for future events based on the fed following health guidance from their government. For example, I think Worlds in Montreal is a great idea, and is still a great idea. :)

Last year was of course a very difficult year for crossing borders, I agree, but crossing at a land border US-Canada was possible. Air, not so much.

This year, I have no idea how many skaters who are not North American are training in Canada, I presume 99% of them are at I.AM if they are. Of course, Kevin Aymoz and Romain Ponsart didn't return to coaches in the US either, so it is not just a Canadian issue🤷‍♀️

Thank you, that is good to know. I always prefer to err on the side of caution:)
Or TCC like Hanyu, Cha, Kurakova, etc.

I agree that Canada handling skating is not the problem as the previous poster stated. But with surges and variants cropping up around the world, they are trying to figure out the best course of action for their country not just figure skating.

kwalker

Rinkside

The land border has been closed since March 2020 to non-essential travel. It's mainly been open for commercial truck drivers, and nurses that work across the border. That being said, if a Canadian tried to cross the land border from the US back into Canada, the custom officers have to allow it. However they would be required to quarantine in a safe space for 14 days unless it has been at least 14 days since their 2nd vaccine dose. But a regular Canadian is still unable to cross the land border into the US from Canada. Flying is the only option right now.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The land border has been closed since March 2020 to non-essential travel. It's mainly been open for commercial truck drivers, and nurses that work across the border. That being said, if a Canadian tried to cross the land border from the US back into Canada, the custom officers have to allow it. However they would be required to quarantine in a safe space for 14 days unless it has been at least 14 days since their 2nd vaccine dose. But a regular Canadian is still unable to cross the land border into the US from Canada. Flying is the only option right now.

Jason Brown, Jean-Luc Baker and Kaitlyn Hawayek have crossed into and out of Canada across the land border on at least two separate occasions each. AFAIK, all of them have only US citizenship. Brian Orser explained the process in an interview, at least for Jason, he needed all sorts of documents, but he did cross along with the truck drivers and nurses. :) (in June 2020 was the first time.) Jason recently crossed again and completed the quarantine.
Or TCC like Hanyu, Cha, Kurakova, etc.

I agree that Canada handling skating is not the problem as the previous poster stated. But with surges and variants cropping up around the world, they are trying to figure out the best course of action for their country not just figure skating.

I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear. I meant non North Americans *who were in Canada* and I was thinking primarily of Gabi and Guilluame. Sadly, the international “non North American” TCC contingent never made it back last year.

However, Shingo Nishiyama just posted in his IG stories that he is now in Canada:clap: He flew from Tokyo to Vancouver and presumably will make his way to TCC.

kwalker

Rinkside
Jason Brown, Jean-Luc Baker and Kaitlyn Hawayek have crossed into and out of Canada across the land border on at least two separate occasions each. AFAIK, all of them have only US citizenship. Brian Orser explained the process in an interview, at least for Jason, he needed all sorts of documents, but he did cross along with the truck drivers and nurses. :) (in June 2020 was the first time.) Jason recently crossed again and completed the quarantine.
An elite athlete going to their training base is a bit different from a regular Canadian trying to cross the land border into the US and vice-versa. I did not know that you were specifically speaking of skaters training in Canada, rather I thought you were talking about in general. In Jason's case he had letters from both the Canadian and US governments, USFS, the US Olympic Committee and Orser and Wilson. For regular "non-essential" Canadians the land border has effectively been closed since March 2020, except in the case of them returning home to Canada. Flying has been the only way for us regular folk to enter the US for over a year. This comes from personal experience as a Canadian who had to drive 2.5 hours north to fly across the border to attend my sister's wedding in the US, when it's normally only an hour drive south on the highway.