Senior vs Junior | Golden Skate

Senior vs Junior

eliza88

On the Ice
What distinguishes a senior from a junior? There seems to be so many times a competitor is in the senior ranks but will also do some of the more prestigeous junior competitions (nats, worlds). Is age a factor for junior competition or is it based more on ability?

eliza88

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
age is one reason... but I know very little abourt the whole thing LOL

CassidyL

Rinkside
eliza88 said:
What distinguishes a senior from a junior? There seems to be so many times a competitor is in the senior ranks but will also do some of the more prestigeous junior competitions (nats, worlds). Is age a factor for junior competition or is it based more on ability?

eliza88

It is based on ability. To compete as a Senior in a qualifying event, you must have passed the Senior test. This test makes sure you have the minimum skills to compete at that level. You can continue to compete as a Junior if you want, even after passing the Senior test. Same for all levels. You must have passed the Junior test to skate Junior, but can continue to skate Novice if you choose.

That applies to all qualifying events. Non-qualifiers might allow you to skate up as well.

Age is not a test level requirement, it is only sometimes an event requirement (i.e. Worlds)

eliza88

On the Ice
Thanks Cassidy!

Interesting that you can continue to skate at a "lower" level once you have passed the next level tests...Why would a skater want/need to skate as a Junior when they are ranked high as a Senior? Belbin and Agusto come to mind--I believe last year they skated at Junior Worlds while also making the National podium again. Is it a way to get more experience internationally? More competitions under your belt? Get more judges to see your programs?

I remember the need for Sasha to skate at Jr. Worlds when she was 15--she was too young for Senior Worlds and could only go if she placed in the top 3 or 4 (I think) at Jr. Worlds.

eliza88

I pesume there are 4 Levels:

juvenile

novice

junior

senior

I also presume the first three are based on age except that the novice and junior levels could skate at the next higher level if they passed those tests.

Am I correct so far? because I am just guessing.

Since juvenile and novice are both entrance levels based on age, what are the ranges of age for each?

Anyone?

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The SkateWeb FAQ explains the difference between "Senior" and "Junior" in the USFSA system vs. the ISU's:
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q12

There are 8 test/competition/skill levels in the USFSA system (from lowest to highest): Pre-Preliminary, Preliminary, Pre-Juvenile, Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice, Junior, Senior. In this system, once you've passed the freestyle test of one level, you cannot compete again at a lower level.

Last edited:

hlagirl25

Rinkside
Sylvia said:
The SkateWeb FAQ explains the difference between "Senior" and "Junior" in the USFSA system vs. the ISU's:
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q12

Without looking at the post, I will respond by saying that at each level there are two tests: moves-in-the-field and the freeskate where you must pass the moves test in order to take the freeskate test. There are also age minimums and I think maximums at each level to keep older/stronger competitiors from sandbagging at a level they know they can win at. Now my understanding is that you can skate one level up meaning that if you're a junior then you can skate at the senior level BUT once you take and pass the senior freeskate you can't go back down. How does this work at junior worlds? Maybe these are skaters who have passed both junior tests who ability and presentation wise are able to skate senior but choose to hone their skills at the junior level until age restrictions force them to move up to the big leagues. Hopefully someone with more info will post beause I would also like more info on this.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
There are no age minimums or maximums in order to test/compete at the USFSA's novice, junior and senior levels.

You can only "skate one level up" in U.S. non-qualifying competitions and not at qualifying competitions like Regionals and Sectionals.

Eligibility for Junior Worlds is based on AGE ONLY (click on the link I provided above for a more detailed explanation) -- that's why, for example, Beatrisa Liang has been able to compete at the past 2 Junior Worlds even though she has competed at the senior level at U.S. Nationals since 2001. Liang is technically age eligible for Junior Worlds through 2007 (when she's 18).

Last edited: