Sentimental Favourites Versus Reality.. | Golden Skate

Sentimental Favourites Versus Reality..

MsSweetie

Rinkside
Who is your biggest sentimental want to win/medal/have "the moment" at the Olympics? All realities aside, who is going to be pulling at your heart strings the next few weeks?

For me, it's Tessa and Scott. Gold or silver, or whatever the situation... I just want them to be able to have their moment. Something that closes off their journey the way that they want it to end. I want them to take everything in soak up and remember every moment, and just SKATE. Do what they're capable of, and more, for potentially, the last time, in front of their family and friends.

All in all, it's the moments that take our breath away and make us remember them. And watch them perform over and over for years to come on YouTube!

Good luck to everyone. May the best man, woman or team win.:points:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Also Tessa and Scott, here. If they win again, I'll be a bawling mess.

I want Chan to win the first Canadian men's gold.

I would love to see MTM win a medal.

The last 2 are less likely, but we said 'sentimental' right?

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I would love to see Mao Asada win the gold. She has had so many ups and downs but has always been gracious threw it all.

Danibellerika

Medalist
My main sentimental favorite is Daisuke Takahashi. Along with him, Asada and Suzuki.

Me too! I would love Daisuke to come out and have the event of his life and win, but at this point if he can't do it I really want to see Hanyu do it. I am loving the Japanese skaters.

Becki

Medalist
Me too! I would love Daisuke to come out and have the event of his life and win, but at this point if he can't do it I really want to see Hanyu do it. I am loving the Japanese skaters.

Yeah me too. Daisuke is my sentimental favourite.....

I hope Mao Asada finally wins the elusive Gold! My dream podium would be 1) Mao Asada 2) Yuna Kim 3) the best 3rd skater.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dai for the men. If the world went topsy turvy and somehow Jason were to medal I think I'd be grinning for a month. For the women any of Yuna, Julia, Adelina, or Gracie would be awesome for me. For the Pairs I'm definitely team Tatiana/Maxim. Above all - I want Meryl and Charlie to win that gold!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Who is your biggest sentimental want to win/medal/have "the moment" at the Olympics? All realities aside, who is going to be pulling at your heart strings the next few weeks?

For me, it's Tessa and Scott. Gold or silver, or whatever the situation... I just want them to be able to have their moment. Something that closes off their journey the way that they want it to end. I want them to take everything in soak up and remember every moment, and just SKATE. Do what they're capable of, and more, for potentially, the last time, in front of their family and friends.

All in all, it's the moments that take our breath away and make us remember them. And watch them perform over and over for years to come on YouTube!

Good luck to everyone. May the best man, woman or team win.:points:

Welcome MsSweetie !!! A great thread for me, because I'm really sentimental about this games - and it's not only about that I have some "sentimental" favourites who have practically no chance to medal but I have also favourites who really HAVE that chance but in their cases I feel that places were set for a long time before Olympics. And that makes me simply sad...

But to main theme of a thread - in men's competition I would love to see some "mixed" podium - with some freshness and youth and experience, but overall it would be very "artistic" podium imo. Daisuke, Yuzuru an Evgenyi, but especially I wish Daisuke to have 2 skates of his life and get a piece of something that was stolen from him in my opinion in WC 2012 in Nice.

In ladies event - my heart is aching for Akiko Suzuki to win the medal...She is (besides maybe Mao) the only skater who can lead me to cry about her skating. And why? I think that's because her maturity, elegance and truth which are shown in her skating and off ice. I would be thrilled also if Mao will win a medal - I know that probably the only one which counts for her is a gold one, but she should "reset" some outside expectations, pressure and just skate 2 breathtaking programs and enjoy her second olympic experience. I have some good feeling about her programs - she looks fit, healthy and confident, but not in over-the-top or nervous manner. Her practices looks great, she has 2 good programs, especially short is one of the greatest for me so we'll see.

For pairs I wish Aliona and Robin to have a gold, but this probably will not happen...I had some hope after GPF but she was ill at Euros and I don't know how is her recovery...They would have to be in their greatest shape to conquer with Russians. But if we talk about our sentimental favs - they're mine.

And my fav discipline in FS - ice dance...My sentimental favourites are Tessa and Scott. The HAVE indeed a shot for gold in Sochi but GPF have shown that a gold is probably locked for someone else no matter what breathtaking and superb performance Tessa and Scott would produce on ice...And this makes me really sad. As I earlier state, in ice dancing I rather search for a pure beauty of dance - close holds, deep edges, interesting choreography with personal dancer's touches, some intricate transitions, fluidity...More - I'd rather give a higher position for a couple with some brilliant choreo and originality in their movements even with tech errors than a couple who has a perfectly technically executed "play-it-safe" choreo...

Personally I don't like a direction in which ice dance goes - more technique, less originality and risk. Couples see what makes a success in ice dance nowadays - and it's a perfectly, nearly "robotic" technical execution of their programs which are becoming rather a skates for me, not dances in many cases...I do realise that Tessa and Scott lost somewhat in the quad that technical spark and ease (maybe by Tessa's injury, maybe by getting away from Igor), I do realise that their FD this year is not as overwhelming as Americans FD - and why - for me it is because Tessa and Scott would rather drown themselves into performance, in that magical moment than compulsively checking levels and execution of elements. They're not planning some moves/music choices/choreos for a couple of years forward (as Americans who said that they have planned to skate to Scheherezade for about 6 years or that they have constructed and prepared their first FD lift for similar amount of time - for me that things are just ridiculous...For me it's simple - if you want to do somenting and skate to somenhing, you do it, but they made it like preparing themselves for some military operation which is in their case getting gold...I understand their hunger for it, but all top teams want it also without having such strange "attitude" in the same time...). In my eyes Tessa and Scott just step on the ice and give it all. They may have stumbles, low levels but for me they have still the best flow in the business and strenght to get attention by their connection and fluidity.

I just wish them clean, crisp performances because the rest is always present in their dances. And overall I wish all top dancing teams great performances :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushy, to stand atop the podium one last time, and survey his kingdom once more, before stepping down to hand over his crown to Jason. And Brendan Kerry will surprise all!

Yeah well I like dreaming.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I've always been very sentimental when it comes to figure skating. (I cried a lot in 2006 after Slutskaya's performance. :bang: )
For me, Yuzuru is my sentimental favourite. He's a very talented kid (no matter he's older than me, he's still a kid :laugh:). I think Chan is going to win, but I keep my fingers crossed for Yuzuru. Sometimes he looks brittle, but this is his charm. I hope he'll finally get his 100 points for Parisienne Walkways and some possible little mistakes at the FS won't count so much.

Ice dance...again, I hope Virtue and Moir will win, but I must admit Scheherazade is more enthralling than The seasons. I think it would have been better for V/M to keep Carmen for the Olympics.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi to win the gold medal. That is my sentimental favourite number one wish.

Then I would love to see all three japanese ladies on the podium - with Mao taking the gold.

And S/S to beat V/T by skating better and take that gold in Russia or at least win the free skate.

All three wishes that won't happen. If I could make only one come true it would be Daisuke and the gold. :)

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Number one sentimental wish: I'd really love to see Akiko on that podium. :love:

Other than that: Savchenko & Szolkowy, Virtue & Moir, Weaver & Poje and Ashley Wagner.

I'm hoping Jason Brown and Katelyn Osmond to have terrific performances, even though they may not land on the podium (in the individual competition, anyway).

MsSweetie

Rinkside
I'm hoping Jason Brown and Katelyn Osmond to have terrific performances, even though they may not land on the podium (in the individual competition, anyway).

I completely agree. For Jason Brown to have a moment like he did at US Nationals on an Olympic ice surface would be surreal for him, regardless of where he places. And for Kaetlyn, I just want her to be clean, show her stuff, charm the audience and the judges and prove to everyone OUTSIDE of Canada that she is someone to watch in the future. Her time may not be now, but her time WILL come. For now, her job is to open eyes and minds!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Probably easiest for me to answer by doing a podium comparison

CaroLiza_fan

Podium by SentimentalityPodium by Reality
Ladies:

1. Mao Asada
2. Akiko Suzuki
3. Carolina Kostner
Ladies:

1. Mao Asada
2. Kim Yun-A
3. Julia Lipnitskaia
Men:

1. Evgeniy Plushenko
2. Daisuke Takahashi
3. Tomáš Verner
Men:

1. Yuzuru Hanyu
2. Evgeniy Plushenko
3. Daisuke Takahashi
Pairs:

1. Pang Qing / Tong Jian
2. Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov
3. Aliona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy
Pairs:

1. Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov
2. Aliona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy
3. Pang Qing / Tong Jian
Dance:

1. Nathalie Péchalat / Fabian Bourzat
2. Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir
3. Meryl Davis / Charlie White
Dance:

1. Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir
2. Meryl Davis / Charlie White
3. Ekaterina Bobrova / Dmitri Soloviev

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I want Suzuki to lay it down and make the judges cry with the beauty of her programs and to win gold. I want Osmond to be squeaky clean and maybe get 5th or 6th and prove to herself she "belongs".

I want M-T/M to finish ahead of D&R and get the bronze.

I want Weaver and Poje to get that bronze.

I want Chan to skate wowzers and get that golden monkey off of Canadian Mens' backs. But I want Yuzuro to skate wowzers too and make it a competition!

Meki

Spectator
*Tip toes* into this thread--Mao Asada is my sentimental favorite. When she was the best skater in the world she was too young to go to the Olympics, then when she was old enough Yuna was better. She struggled through relearning jumps and now she gets a 2nd chance at winning an Olympic gold medal and I really want her to win it.