Serafima Sakhanovich | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Serafima Sakhanovich

Seruleane

Final Flight
Translated interview with Plushy:

Great interview! I think earlier in the interview, he mentioned all the flights and drives it took to reach Lake Placid, which explains why he looked tired. Still, I thought it was very admirable that he went all that way to see Sima even though she qualified at last minute. I can think of some other coaches (*cough* Eteri) who were noticeably absent, though I understand Eteri has many more active competitors than Plushenko so I guess the comparison is unfair. Anyway, I always had a soft spot for Plushenko when he was competing, and I think I like him even more as a coach. I hope he and Sima will go on to accomplish great things. I loved how encouraging he was in convincing Sima to pursue competitive skating for a bit longer, and how he remembered to give credit to his whole team. I can't wait to see them both at Nationals.

jiawen2016

On the Ice
I felt so lucky to have witnessed the interaction between Sima and Plushenko during practice! It was interesting to note that Plushenko was sitting at the "lutz corner" at th side of the rink far from K&C. I was sitting at the section next to where he was sitting, so I was able to see pretty clearly what was going on between them. As far as I could tell, Sima felt pretty comfortable communicating with Plushenko and following his instructions. Plushenko was also really encouraging, clapping when she landed a jump clean. He never raised his voice, just constructive suggestions as we could see that Sima was becoming more and more confident with her jumps. I was also extremely lucky to get a selfie with Plushenko after the practice was over and he was passing by my section! He also signed my poster for Sima!:yahoo:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I felt so lucky to have witnessed the interaction between Sima and Plushenko during practice! It was interesting to note that Plushenko was sitting at the "lutz corner" at th side of the rink far from K&C. I was sitting at the section next to where he was sitting, so I was able to see pretty clearly what was going on between them. As far as I could tell, Sima felt pretty comfortable communicating with Plushenko and following his instructions. Plushenko was also really encouraging, clapping when she landed a jump clean. He never raised his voice, just constructive suggestions as we could see that Sima was becoming more and more confident with her jumps. I was also extremely lucky to get a selfie with Plushenko after the practice was over and he was passing by my section! He also signed my poster for Sima!:yahoo:

He looks really tired..but I could see on TV, too! Poor Plushy!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Lynn Rutherford‏ @LynnRutherford
Nov 26
Replying to @Sk84it @EvgeniPlushenko

Funny story -- Serafima was in the mixed zone answering questions, and she was so happy she talked for a long time. After 10 minutes Plushenko ran over and politely took her away because she had to get her boots off. :laugh: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/934784967585992704
1 reply 23 retweets 41 likes

Ender

Match Penalty
I can’t believe there is a day Plushenko becomes a coach. And he seems to be in the right path. Looking at the legend in the Kiss and Cry with a student is so touching. I bet she will find her results improving by season after season. After all, she has nothing to lose anyway.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
He is soooo passionate about her skating! Love it. He basically left everything and decided to go with her to the US.
She is so emotional about her skating, too. In Warsaw, when she realised that she won (at last, after numerous seasons of constant failure) she basically burst into tears and then run into the arms of her coach. She was so moved and so happy. She seems to be a very sincere girl :)

But there is one more thing that makes me happy:

she also works with Alexei Vasilevsky and Yulia Lavrenchuk, and also with Oleg Ovsyannikov, Alexander Zolotarev

Oleg Ovsyannikov! I haven't heard anything about him for ages! Great.

LRK

Record Breaker
One image that really stood out to me may perhaps be considered a little thing - the way Sima took Plushy's arm to steady herself as she put her skate guards on. It just looked so natural, and showed how comfortable and confident she felt around him - as if he were a family member, something between an elder brother and a father figure perhaps.:)

LRK

Record Breaker

Aww - I'm so happy for you! And for us too - thanks for sharing your impressions & experiences; it's a little like being there with you.:)

KIRKIR

Spectator
Hi! New fan of Sima here :luv17:

I'm still so happy and smiley 😊

I'm so in love with the feel of the Free Skate program. The music and mysterious vibe just suck me in and while it's not the most exciting program it has a certain calmness to it that makes it so enjoyable. Very nice dress too.

What is the story behind this music?

In 1936 the civil war began in Spain. It was a sad and cruel war between brothers, and from the ashes of war emerged a dictatorship that would last 40 years. Joaquín Rodrigo, the blind man who composed this music, somewhat managed to left the country at the end of the war helped by some musician friends. He creates this guitar concert in 1939 in Paris in a neo-baroque style that was intended to remind the Spanish golden age (nothing to do with the hungry years that his country really lived). Tradition has it that the theme of the adagio occurred to him as he walked the streets of Paris on a rainy day. You can easily imagine this small and skinny blind man, walking in the rain, alone as a foreigner in another country while he remembered a Spain that no longer existed -it was devastated by war.

Much later his wife told another version in his autobiography. He and his wife spent their honeymoon in Aranjuez and in Germany, where they expected to have their first child. The child was born dead and his wife was about to die. So in this second movement, Joaquín questions God for the spontaneous abortion his wife has had. This is expressed by the pulse of the guitar at the beginning, which represents a beating heart. At the end in the climax of the orchestra the author "hears God" and finally there is acceptance of the fact and some peace (you can hear all this stuff in Sima's start, choreo sequence and end of the program).

Anyway, this music is very famous in figure skating, being used by Brian Orser, Evgeni Plushenko, Patrick Chan, Brian Joubert, Takeshi Honda, Weaver & Poje, Michelle Kwan, Sarah Meier, Joannie Rochete... the list goes on. In fact, in my opinion the movements Sima makes at the beginning resembles slightly Júlia Sebestyén's version.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good Luck Sima!! You’ve done Nationals before...you got this! :pray:!