Seriously, how awesome is Tamara Moskvina? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Seriously, how awesome is Tamara Moskvina?

LRK

Record Breaker
I am in total awe of this woman. I have even hallucinated :)laugh:) occasionally and dreamt the stars have aligned and that she has come to coach the U.S. pairs. But who in their right mind would want to leave the beautiful St. Petersburg?!

:)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGaFAKLPt8y/?taken-by=jessicacalalang

Also the previous year she had done some work with Kayne/O'Shea, as per this article from US Nationals:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/01/24/162722972/minnesota-morsels-gold-engages-in-witty-repartee

"This season, "Team Florida" has a secret weapon: the memory of sessions with the legendary Moskvina, coach of Russian Olympic and world champions too numerous to mention.

"The work we did with her this summer changed our approach to training smart and being more efficient with the body," Peterson said. "We would stand in front of the mirror with all of the teams and do crossovers on the floor -- the floor! She would watch. Are the heads in alignment? Are the fingers in the same stretch? Are the legs moving together?"

Moskvina also gave novice through senior teams lifting exercises, and practiced the catches of twists. But for Daniel O'Shea, tips and tricks weren't her most important message.

"She gave us the mentality of 'every little thing counts,'" said O'Shea, who won the U.S. title with Tarah Kayne on Saturday. "It's not just about skating your three sessions on the ice -- it's about getting in front of the mirror and nitpicking and finding little things that you can improve.

"Mr. Peterson always says nationals can be won by pair spins and solo spins, the 'GOE elements' as he calls them, and we've worked really hard on not giving points away," O'Shea said.

"Tamara is such a little woman, but she is so strong and powerful," Kayne said. "Being around her, I really tried to embody that in myself. I tried to take charge of every element of my skating." "

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGaFAKLPt8y/?taken-by=jessicacalalang

Also the previous year she had done some work with Kayne/O'Shea, as per this article from US Nationals:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/01/24/162722972/minnesota-morsels-gold-engages-in-witty-repartee

"This season, "Team Florida" has a secret weapon: the memory of sessions with the legendary Moskvina, coach of Russian Olympic and world champions too numerous to mention.
"The work we did with her this summer changed our approach to training smart and being more efficient with the body," Peterson said. "We would stand in front of the mirror with all of the teams and do crossovers on the floor -- the floor! She would watch. Are the heads in alignment? Are the fingers in the same stretch? Are the legs moving together?"
Moskvina also gave novice through senior teams lifting exercises, and practiced the catches of twists. But for Daniel O'Shea, tips and tricks weren't her most important message.
"She gave us the mentality of 'every little thing counts,'" said O'Shea, who won the U.S. title with Tarah Kayne on Saturday. "It's not just about skating your three sessions on the ice -- it's about getting in front of the mirror and nitpicking and finding little things that you can improve.
"Mr. Peterson always says nationals can be won by pair spins and solo spins, the 'GOE elements' as he calls them, and we've worked really hard on not giving points away," O'Shea said.
"Tamara is such a little woman, but she is so strong and powerful," Kayne said. "Being around her, I really tried to embody that in myself. I tried to take charge of every element of my skating." "

This was a great article! I had forgotten that I heard somewhere that she went to FL. to work with US pairs. I think the USFSA should hold a camp for all novice, junior, and senior pairs who skate for the U.S. and get her to come and run it! She is a little firecracker, and I just love her. We are so fortunate that she continues to share all her experience and wisdom. I'm wondering how her Kavaguti and Smirnov will do this year. Hopefully Kavaguti will be fully recovered.

Now if we could maybe just convince Tamara that St. Petersburg, FL. is St. P., Russia and talk her into coming here! :noshake::palmf: Never mind, it isn't going to happen! One can dream!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She did a great two-part interview with The Skating Lesson. Has everyone seen it? They really let her speak, and didn't fall into the habit of talking over each other. They realized they were in awe of her.

Actually, Jenny and Dave do a wonderful job on their lengthy interviews of one person or team. I almost feel like Dave digs for the insightful questions better than Jenny does. It's only on their shorter pieces and recaps, etc. that some other not-so-good dynamic takes over.

Thank you for mentioning this interview. When I have a chance, I will watch it. I love Tamara.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, Jenny and Dave do a wonderful job on their lengthy interviews of one person or team. I almost feel like Dave digs for the insightful questions better than Jenny does. It's only on their shorter pieces and recaps, etc. that some other not-so-good dynamic takes over.

Thank you for mentioning this interview. When I have a chance, I will watch it. I love Tamara.

I was very impressed with their interviews and hope to make time to watch more. I think so far I've seen Kori Ade, Tracey Wilson, Marissa and Mervin, and a special interview they did with Alex Ouriashev. They were all very good.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was very impressed with their interviews and hope to make time to watch more. I think so far I've seen Kori Ade, Tracey Wilson, Marissa and Mervin, and a special interview they did with Alex Ouriashev. They were all very good.

Oh, yes! And these are spectacular: Rudy Galindo, Caitlyn Yankowskas, Ashley Wagner, Sandra Bezic, Frank Carroll, Kristi Yamaguchi. Those were all inspiring to me in one way or another, in addition to Kori and Tracey. Others were merely (ha!) very enjoyable and informative, to me: Adam Rippon, Gracie Gold, Alex O. and Marissa/Mervin.

:eek:topic: I just couldn't help myself!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, yes! And these are spectacular: Rudy Galindo, Caitlyn Yankowskas, Ashley Wagner, Sandra Bezic, Frank Carroll, Kristi Yamaguchi. Those were all inspiring to me in one way or another, in addition to Kori and Tracey. Others were merely (ha!) very enjoyable and informative, to me: Adam Rippon, Gracie Gold, Alex O. and Marissa/Mervin.

:hijacked: Ha! Ha! Thanks for the ideas for TSLs to watch. The list is growing. And I usually say I'll watch half today and half tomorrow and then end up watching the whole thing! It does give you a nice, more informal glimpse into the skaters. And I know it sounds corny, but I like to hear their voices! :slink:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I think the USFSA should hold a camp for all novice, junior, and senior pairs who skate for the U.S. and get her to come and run it! ...

Moskvina coached at USFS pairs camp in summer 2015 ... as well as in Florida and Boston ... also Colorado Springs, IIRC.

Here is a summer 2016 photo of Moskvina with Sappenfield pairs:
(Don't remember where else Moskvina has traveled in the U.S. this summer.)

On the subject of TSL interviews:
Off the top of my head, Phillip Mills and Mirai Nagasu come to mind as very worthwhile ones that were fairly recent.
Max Aaron was one of the early ones, and I credit it for helping me become a big fan of his. But not sure whether it still is available online.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Moskvina coached at USFS pairs camp in summer 2015 ... as well as in Florida and Boston ... also Colorado Springs, IIRC.

Off the top of my head, Phillip Mills and Mirai Nagasu come to mind as very worthwhile ones that were fairly recent.
Max Aaron was one of the early ones, and I credit it for helping me become a big fan of his. But not sure whether it still is available online.

:hap85:Excellent! I had heard about FL. but had no idea about the others. And better to do it in multiple locations like that so there's more personalized attention. I still want her here permanently though! (No chance) :sad4:

Ah yes, I watched the Phillip Mills one cos I enjoy his choreography. I have a lot of catching up to do, I think. Max is the greatest. I happened to meet him and talk to him briefly at this year's Nationals. He is SO nice, and such a class act. There were a bunch of kids bugging him, and he was so kind and patient.

anyanka

Record Breaker

I agree, I do enjoy TSL, Jenny and Dave. But sometimes they get a little too eager for my liking. It's definitely much preferable to the canned "prepared" usual media interview questions and they absolutely understand the sport and how to get meaningful answers. I would rather watch them being very excited to chat than some of the drearier media interviews. And you make a good point that in the 1:1 interviews they do well but the recaps are where they let it loose.

Hope you get the chance to watch the interview. They are long clips but to me, they flew by very quickly.

The one question I'd have loved for them to ask is when Tamara will finally finish her autobiography and will it be in English too??? I would love to read it!

anyanka

Record Breaker

I apologize for leading y'all down the garden path away from the topic but I'm glad you guys will get to (re-)watch the interview! I'm also going to look up the ones with Caitlyn Y and Rudy too, I missed those. Thanks!! :)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I apologize for leading y'all down the garden path away from the topic but I'm glad you guys will get to (re-)watch the interview! I'm also going to look up the ones with Caitlyn Y and Rudy too, I missed those. Thanks!! :)

I think we are lovers of figure skating and can't help but share our enthusiasm for other "side" topics. I appreciate all the TSL suggestions...While standing in the security line at Worlds, I realized I was standing right next to Dave from TSL. Of course, he was talking 100 mph! :laugh2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

:hap85:Excellent! I had heard about FL. but had no idea about the others. And better to do it in multiple locations like that so there's more personalized attention. I still want her here permanently though! (No chance) :sad4:...

Finally dug up a similar photo :cool: of Moskvina being lifted this time by Chris Knierim in 2015 -- at the World Arena Ice Hall in Colorado Springs, if my eyes do not deceive me.

... Max is the greatest. I happened to meet him and talk to him briefly at this year's Nationals. He is SO nice, and such a class act. There were a bunch of kids bugging him, and he was so kind and patient.

Here I go wandering further afield ;):

Loved hearing about your experience of meeting Max. He sounds like a real sweetheart :luv17:. Thx for sharing.

I decided to look up the TSL's interview with Max (fifty minutes long). The version available at this point is audio only.

The original YouTube version of the interview was published on Jun 13, 2013, but the original YT link now is dead. Too bad, b/c Max's facial expressions and gestures were endearing and fun to watch :popcorn:.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You're welcome! The ones of Caitlyn and Rudy are IMO the most inspiring of all. They are both great, generous souls.

And to get back to Tamara, I really loved the article that was linked (on this thread? I think, but not sure). Her 75th birthday celebration was okay with her, because it was linked with the other event. But I loved how she said she didn't like so many celebrations ("holidays") where you just stop to honor this, that or the other. Instead, she likes the daily life where you work step by step, the process.

Is she writing an autobiography? She'd have to dictate it, preferably while skating I think! She doesn't sit still, or that's my impression.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I read every word, but couldn't find a mention of Tamara. I did enjoy the re-read, though. I think Julie Marcotte's process as described here must be a big part of why she's such a good choreographer. That, and her originality.

Photo Caption: How to look tall: Stand beside Tamara Moskvina .... unless your name is Maddie.:)

What I love is the idea that Tamara must want to raise figure skating and make it a better sport (to use the phrase of Tracey Wilson).

Max Aaron was one of the early ones, and I credit it for helping me become a big fan of his..
[

I felt the same way about Marissa Castelli, especially when she talked about her reasons for leaving the C/S partnership and why she wanted to skate with Mervin.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I read every word, but couldn't find a mention of Tamara. ...

"... On June 9 and 10, the pair had the opportunity to work with legendary pairs coach Tamara Moskvina in Boston before she headed to U.S. Figure Skating's pairs camp. ..."

This sentence is from the bottom third (approximately ;)) of the article.

(I know that you were not complaining, but I did not put the link in my post to send you on a wild goose chase.)

... Photo Caption: How to look tall: Stand beside Tamara Moskvina .... unless your name is Maddie.:) ...

:laugh: ;)

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty

This is what I was talking about the moment Gracie Gold became a known thing. She needed somebody like this to polish her along with her previous technical coach. This combo would be impossible to beat. If you watch K/S and any of Moskvina's pairs, you will see the attention to details is deliberate. Every placement of the hand to the finger tip is deliberate. The choreography is meticulous. Looks like she's willing to spend time w/ US skaters in small sessions. This would be money well spent for mid tier skaters who want to break into top tier.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(I know that you were not complaining, but I did not put the link in my post to send you on a wild goose chase.)

:)). Well, I finally had a chance to look again, and sure enough, I must've misread those paragraphs as talking about Julie. I must have skipped over the name, although it's hard to see how, since it's always "legendary coach Tamara...." :cool:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here I go wandering further afield ;):

Loved hearing about your experience of meeting Max. He sounds like a real sweetheart :luv17:. Thx for sharing.

Max was finishing an autograph signing session and packing up his things. My friend and I got so excited to see him that when my friend took my picture with him, I was so disappointed to see that the picture was all blurry. I went back to Max and explained what happened and he posed again. Too bad the 2nd photo was blurry too! Normally my friend takes perfect pictures! Moral of the story: calm down! I wished Max good luck and said "Gold tomorrow?!" He responded "I'm sure gonna try." He took the silver which is still pretty darn good. He's a classy guy!

:eek:topic: but really, it's the off season and we need to keep each other going! I'm gonna make a list of the TSL interviews I need to watch...Love that Tamara photo with Chris.

Last edited:

senatormls

On the Ice
A living legend. What a career.. at least over 50 years! I always liked her interview at the 94 Olympics when she had to hypnotise her pair team! I believe they came in second..