Shen & Zhao 'May' be at Olympics | Golden Skate

Shen & Zhao 'May' be at Olympics

Sorry about the title.

On the ESPN coverage of Cup of Russia, it was reported that Hongbo returned to the ice on 11/24. The doctors say it's eight weeks till he can junp, but theoretically, that still leaves time to train for the Olympics if all goes well.

What an iceberg that would be for the pairs if S/Z can skate up to par!

However, an achilles tear is a serious injury. I would absolutely LOVE to see S/Z at the Os. I just hope, hope, hope Hongbo doesn't injure his achilles again trying to keep up with the well-conditioned Xue. They both have such integrity and such a hard work ethic. I'm the worrying mom.

Comments?

Rgirl

Last edited:

nicole_l

Final Flight
Please please please? I'm glad that they're back on the ice and not just retiring. Hopefully we can see them at Worlds or they'll compete next season as a farewell. It would be a shame to leave the sport by withdrawing from last year's Worlds.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I can't tell you how happy it would make me to have them be at the Olympics and skate well! After their '03 Worlds victory, they had a fan in me forever! :love:
It's certainly a tall order for them, but knowing how dedicated and determined they are ... I would not count them out! :rock:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It will be interesting to see how they perform with such last minute preparation. Hopefully Totmianina/Marinin will atleast have to skate well to win.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
If they can do it in time for Oly's, that would be so awesome!! If they can't be back in form by Oly's, I will hold out hope to see them in a Grand Finale at World's. That's my "back up" wish.

DG

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I hope they can go. I also became an S&Z mega-fan after their 2003 Worlds LP performance. The Pairs' competition in Turin just won't be the same without them. T&M have come along nicely, but they still haven't developed that same "it" factor that S&Z have, IMO. At any rate, I hope he can recover fully and get back to typical form.

mzheng

Record Breaker
None current pair team at GP circuit had the points can match up to TT/MM's PCS scores. Only S/Z had the proven history to match the PCS. But with the injury that Zhao has, I just hope seeing them at Turino ice, skate their heart out. no matter where they placement, just make some noise, see if ISU will change some CoP spec in next season.

Antilles

Medalist
I would love to see them, but hope he doesn't push it. Achilles injuries can be career enders, and not just amateur careers. Look at poor Sarah Abitbol. I hope they are thinking long-term for themselves.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I would love it if they could go to the Olympics. I've been praying for Hongbo to have a good recovery, and without them, the pairs so far this season has been a little blah to me. They bring not only the goods as far as technical elements goes, but they also have the warmth and chemistry that others just don't have. At least they would bring some interesting competition for T/M (I like to watch them, but it's not the same level as S/Z --they made me also a mega fan in 2003):rock:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
That's great news! When TV showed Hongbo still walking with a cane at CoC, I just assumed that it was over for their Olympic hopes. Hope they can be there and skater their best, or as close as they'll be able to get to their best.

Shanti

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
It will be interesting to see how they perform with such last minute preparation. Hopefully Totmianina/Marinin will atleast have to skate well to win.

:eek:hwell: :confused: OT: Could you please remind me when TT/MM skated badly and won?
I would be glad to see S/Z competing again :)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well I really like this pair and would be thrilled to see them back on the ice. Of course, I would love to see them win Oly gold but I suppose that's being greedy.

flowjo35

On the Ice
This would be great news. I have enjoyed them since worlds 2003. During their long program, I had my heart in my thoat. Very emotional. Get well soon.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Linny said:
Surya Bonaly tore an achilles and came ROARING back
Linny

Where did she come roaring back? Cartainly not at the Olympics...she got her technical skills back once into her pro career but by Nagano she had only recovered her triple toe and salchow. She was still massively having to cheat the triple loop because she couldn't fully rotate it and hadn't landed a triple flip or lutz all season. Unfortunately for her Slutskaya was held up over her in teh SP with a 2Lz/2T combo and a 3Lp from steps despite Bonaly landing 3t/3T and 3S from steps...i think that's why she went for the illegal backflip in the LP.

Ant

Linny

Final Flight
Isn't a Surya thread

I brought the point up about Surya to demonstrate that an athlete can heal from an Achilles tear, not to debate whether or not Surya was a good figure skater. How many years ago was that career threatening injury? And does she still have a career as an athlete? Well, then, that's hope for Hongbo. And that's my point. Period.
Linny

antmanb

Record Breaker
Linny said:
I brought the point up about Surya to demonstrate that an athlete can heal from an Achilles tear, not to debate whether or not Surya was a good figure skater. How many years ago was that career threatening injury? And does she still have a career as an athlete? Well, then, that's hope for Hongbo. And that's my point. Period.
Linny

Sorry i thuoght you meant there was hope for Hongbo at this Olympics based on Bonaly's progress which is why i pointed out that she was not healed in time for the Olympics and i think had longer to recouperate than Hongbo.

Ant