Shibutanis have a new book out | Golden Skate

Shibutanis have a new book out

Did antbody else catch Alex and Maia Shibutani on the CBS morning news show today? Looking good as always. They have a new book featuring the trials and triumphs of selected Americans of Asian and Pacific Island descent.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Why don't the insiders of the skating community like the Shib Sibs? There's some animosity there where I believed (from their vlogs) there was none. The fans love them, and so do I. This can't be related to the 2018 team event, right? Nor the Shib Sibs reaction to losing the 2018 nationals, right? And it can't be about their parents owning a skating rink, because aren't the majority of top North American skaters equipped with well-off, influential parents?

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Why don't the insiders of the skating community like the Shib Sibs? There's some animosity there where I believed (from their vlogs) there was none. The fans love them, and so do I. This can't be related to the 2018 team event, right? Nor the Shib Sibs reaction to losing the 2018 nationals, right? And it can't be about their parents owning a skating rink, because aren't the majority of top North American skaters equipped with well-off, influential parents?
No idea--not sure if they had pushy parents, etc.--but I would have thought that at this point in their lives, they would be living separate ones. If it works for them, fine, but there is no way I would have spent that much time with my brother in my mid-to-late twenties.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was great seeing the Shibs on CBS Morning. I've always liked them. Their book sounds interesting and inspiring. It makes me happy to see a few more skating books, especially for kids. Nathan's Wei Skates On is another one for kids.

pearly

Record Breaker
Yes, I think it still has to do with the team event.

I find myself wondering what it, in fact, is they do these days to explain all the touring, appearances, and media attention.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There's a lot of envy in any competitive pursuit, and those who have attracted media attention/popularity and done well out of it? - tend to get more than their share of it. Unless shown evidence to the contrary, I'm content to say it's probably that.

No idea--not sure if they had pushy parents, etc.--but I would have thought that at this point in their lives, they would be living separate ones. If it works for them, fine, but there is no way I would have spent that much time with my brother in my mid-to-late twenties.

Well, given the number of siblings who work together in family businesses, or in the musical/creative arts, it would seem that they are not at all alone (and looking at my bookshelves they are by no means the only siblings who write together :))

humbaba

Final Flight
Why don't the insiders of the skating community like the Shib Sibs?

Could you elaborate a bit? Who are the insiders? You don't have to name names. Just wondering if you are referring to officials, coaches, media, etc. What made you think there is lingering animosity?

I don't mean to put you on the spot. Just curious. If you don't feel comfortable answering my questions, please feel free to ignore this post. No hard feelings.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
This thread sums it up well: https://twitter.com/vmstagemom/status/1619455816930856961?t=zjdXAUxQVnIoyWQNQCEC5A&s=19

According to what I've heard - Shibs accused igor schpilband of favouritism. This kind of caused a chain reaction of events that led to igor/Marina split. They managed to stop their main rivals going to Marina too. There is also the drama about then having first pick and taking both segments of the team event for the Olympics (preventing Hubble/Donehue, the reigning national champions from getting an olympic medal at the team event).

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Could you elaborate a bit? Who are the insiders? You don't have to name names. Just wondering if you are referring to officials, coaches, media, etc. What made you think there is lingering animosity?

I don't mean to put you on the spot. Just curious. If you don't feel comfortable answering my questions, please feel free to ignore this post. No hard feelings.
"Insiders" meaning fellow skaters and coaches and officials. Fellow ice dancers were upset about the shibs deciding to skate both segments of the team event in 2018 Olympics, making it impossible for H/D or C/B to go home with a team medal. Coaches because of an event in Canton, Michigan (TSL knows more on this subject, and so does coach Marina and coach Igor) where allegedly the Shib parents kicked out a coach for not favoring their Shibs. Remember, the Shib parents own a rink, and I guess that means they have the ability to do stuff like this? And then their are judges who just don't like a brother/sister team and won't score them highly unless paid to do so by politicking coaches. I'm sure there's more to the story than I know.

Isn't it the United State Figure Skating Association that chooses who skates in the Olympic team event, rather than the skaters?

humbaba

Final Flight
Isn't it the United State Figure Skating Association that chooses who skates in the Olympic team event, rather than the skaters?

Apparently there is a procedure with the USFS ranking all Olympic bound skaters. The skaters are asked to submit their preferences for skating in the team event. They can choose not to skate in the team event, to skate in one segment only, or to skate in both segments.

The preferences of the top ranked skater/pair/team are honored first, and so on down the line. So the skaters do have a lot of say on who skates what in the team event.

The USFS must have some veto power somewhere. However they give the impression they try to stick to the acknowledged criteria.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Apparently there is a procedure with the USFS ranking all Olympic bound skaters. The skaters are asked to submit their preferences for skating in the team event. They can choose not to skate in the team event, to skate in one segment only, or to skate in both segments.

The preferences of the top ranked skater/pair/team are honored first, and so on down the line. So the skaters do have a lot of say on who skates what in the team event.

The USFS must have some veto power somewhere. However they give the impression they try to stick to the acknowledged criteria.
It is based on the likelihood of that skater/team to win an individual medal. The skater/team with the highest likelihood gets "first choice" of what they want. So, for 2022, if Nathan Chen had said he wanted both segments, Vincent would have been SOL

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think the USFS policies are shortsighted. If a skater is a realistic contender for an individual medal and wants to skate just one segment, that should be honored if possible. Also, if any skater doesn't want to do the team at all, that should be taken strongly into account. However, a top team should not be able to "own" both segments. The decision to substitute should be up to USFS, and should take into account how close possible substitutes are in ability, and whether all the subs have already been used up because of medal contenders who only want to do one segment.

Added: USFS is responsible for the team selection; I would blame them for giving some preferences too much weight rather than blaming the skaters for stating their preference.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
"Insiders" meaning fellow skaters and coaches and officials. Fellow ice dancers were upset about the shibs deciding to skate both segments of the team event in 2018 Olympics, making it impossible for H/D or C/B to go home with a team medal. Coaches because of an event in Canton, Michigan (TSL knows more on this subject, and so does coach Marina and coach Igor) where allegedly the Shib parents kicked out a coach for not favoring their Shibs. Remember, the Shib parents own a rink, and I guess that means they have the ability to do stuff like this? And then their are judges who just don't like a brother/sister team and won't score them highly unless paid to do so by politicking coaches. I'm sure there's more to the story than I know.
From my politically naĂŻve outsider's perspective, I can understand the first point as being grounds for resentment, but the second point is kind of debatable/confusing (the rink they own isn't the one they trained on, is it, so how does that give leverage?) And perception of favouritism is reasonable grounds for not working with a coach, though I guess the typical way of having the skater leaving generates less collateral damage than having coaches split up.
Third point is not reasonable in and of itself. Sibling teams should be evaluated like any other team in terms of skill and expression. I'm now curious what the 'insider's view' of any-gender teams is (because it seems pretty popular on fan social media, but then so are sibling teams...)

Magill

Record Breaker
I think the USFS policies are shortsighted. If a skater is a realistic contender for an individual medal and wants to skate just one segment, that should be honored if possible. Also, if any skater doesn't want to do the team at all, that should be taken strongly into account. However, a top team should not be able to "own" both segments. The decision to substitute should be up to USFS, and should take into account how close possible substitutes are in ability, and whether all the subs have already been used up because of medal contenders who only want to do one segment.

Added: USFS is responsible for the team selection; I would blame them for giving some preferences too much weight rather than blaming the skaters for stating their preference.
My thoughts exactly. Whatever the criteria, whatever individual preferences as expressed by skaters themselves, in the end of the day it is the federation - and the federation only - who is responsible for the selection. And they are the only ones to blame if someone does not like the final outcome, not the skaters.

Magill

Record Breaker
This is actually what I find most disturbing. I mean, judges are supposed to evaluate what they see on the ice according to the criteria which have been officially set and made known. Relationships between skaters or between skaters and coaches as well as any other skaters' features not related to the very skating itself (including nationality, skating club, and other trivia like this) are no business of the judges and should have no impact whatsoever on the scores. Expecting "being paid by politicking coaches" or being ready to give higher scores in exchange for some unspecified "payments" is plainly corrupt.
I do not know if this is true or not, but this is not the first time when I see comments implying this kind of practices or even expecting them as something normal. It gives the impression that scoring is thoroughly corrupt in this sport, with many "insiders" and fans fully aware of it and accepting it as something inevitable. If true, it makes the very integrity of this sport highly questionable as in fact any such practice is just corrupt and should be named for what it is, called out, criticized and independently investigated. Taking into account the obvious pov that "corruption" does not mean just being paid with money (infamous "envelopes") but with all sorts of favours than can be exchanged for favourable scoring.
Unfortunately, until it happens, any such "scoring" can be hardly taken seriously at all.
And of course this is very bad for the sport itself, its viewership, its funding and popularity, and last but not least, for the skaters themselves.

Last edited:

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Thanks for sharing the article. I do hope that one day they will branch out and live their own lives--it seems like they do everything together even as adults. Maybe it works for them but they are at an age when expanding horizons is super valuable.

chloepoco

Medalist
This thread sums it up well: https://twitter.com/vmstagemom/status/1619455816930856961?t=zjdXAUxQVnIoyWQNQCEC5A&s=19

According to what I've heard - Shibs accused igor schpilband of favouritism. This kind of caused a chain reaction of events that led to igor/Marina split. They managed to stop their main rivals going to Marina too. There is also the drama about then having first pick and taking both segments of the team event for the Olympics (preventing Hubble/Donehue, the reigning national champions from getting an olympic medal at the team event).

Sounds to me more like jealousy; I doubt the Shibutani’s had that much power.