Shizuka and Ann Patrice McDonough | Golden Skate

Shizuka and Ann Patrice McDonough

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
For years I've been saying Ann Patrice just screams unfulfilled potential. After re-watching Shizuka at this worlds, there is a lot that reminded me of AP -- strong basics, beautiful flow, nice carriage, an elegant but somewhat reserved style, a great donut spin, a true lutz and, sadly, ugly Swan Lake costumes. :laugh: Shizuka's outstanding performance in Dortmund made me think that this is how Ann Patrice COULD be -- if she someday manages to get her act together.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You're right, Ogre Mage, there are a lot of similarities. One difference, for me though, AP doesn't look as though she enjoys skating. Shizuka does, even though her style is reserved. If AP finally decides to work on skating for herself and not for her mother, watch out! Shizuka is 22. AP has time yet.

Doris - You are forgetting BeBe. ;) I'm still thinking this gal is going to break lose and podium at Nats. Hope all her injuries are bygones.

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Joe......I am in agreement........I can't wait to see what Bebe has in store for us next season........42

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Doris - You are forgetting BeBe. ;) I'm still thinking this gal is going to break lose and podium at Nats. Hope all her injuries are bygones.

Joe

I agree, Joe! Injuries are the worst thing to happen to the sport. Look at Tara.

sk8ing_lady2001 said:
I agree, Joe! Injuries are the worst thing to happen to the sport. Look at Tara.
And Naomi Nari Nam, Deanna Stellato, Stacey Pensgen, Timothy Goebel, and all the skaters who could have been great but whose names we don't know.

I was SO glad to see ESPN do the piece on injures; I just wish they'd shown it on ABC during the ladies finals, since the ladies are suffering the most injuries right now. No skater is safe, no matter how good their technique, no matter how good their off-ice conditioning. They need improved equipment, such as the hinged skate boot. Unless and until the USFSA, ISU, and the media join forces to address the injury epidemic, no skater is safe from a career-ending injury. I know that sounds extreme, but at least I think it's true.

BTW, I'd love to see AP and BeBe fulfill their potential, but they've got to be safe first. Perhaps AP isn't enjoying skating because of physical pain--we just don't know.
Rgirl