Shoma Uno to change coaches | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno to change coaches

Tutto

Record Breaker
So, not Eteri.

"Shoma Uno announced that next season he plans to compete without a main coach. His training base will be Chukyo University and Takeshi Honda will be his jump coach".

Also he said "he wants to take his time looking for an overseas training base and main coach. He said he’d ideally like to train every day around athletes of the same level, who are doing multiple types of quads." :think:
https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1150648016191098880

It seems training alone is a new trend :laugh:
Indeed, coaching is overrated...

Go Shoma!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
So, not Eteri.

"Shoma Uno announced that next season he plans to compete without a main coach. His training base will be Chukyo University and Takeshi Honda will be his jump coach".

Also he said "he wants to take his time looking for an overseas training base and main coach. He said he’d ideally like to train every day around athletes of the same level, who are doing multiple types of quads." :think:

I like Shoma and wish him well, but he makes it sound like traning in Japan rules out training alongside elite skaters. I hope the newcomers and skaters who are now starting to include multiple quads, prove him wrong.
I wonder which training base he chooses in the end. The season hasn't even started yet when it comes to major competitions, and I'm already wondering what happens when it's over...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It seems training alone is a new trend :laugh:
Indeed, coaching is overrated...
The coaching cartel will put the hit out on Shoma, before he exposes that they're actually not necessary.

I really don't understand Shoma's approach to this. It feels like he's setting himself up to have a worse season than last, and apparently he was sufficiently disappointed with last season to want to change coaching arrangements in the first place.

Depending on how you interpret "athletes of the same level", how many training facilities would fit that definition? Orser and Raf, obviously.

OniBan

Final Flight
I like Shoma and wish him well, but he makes it sound like traning in Japan rules out training alongside elite skaters. I hope the newcomers and skaters who are now starting to include multiple quads, prove him wrong.
I wonder which training base he chooses in the end. The season hasn't even started yet when it comes to major competitions, and I'm already wondering what happens when it's over...

I dont think that was Shoma's intention at all. It is simply that in his previous training situation it was alluded that he was mostly training by himself, alone. He had even mentioned in an interview that he looked forward to weekends and the days when other skaters turn up at Chukyo rink, and from that one can surmise that his actual interactions with other skaters during training in his previous arrangement had been minimal. He had never said that being around other elite skaters is only exclusive to overseas training. As of now, he had not even settled on a coach or a training base nor confirmed where it would be, so the location can be anywhere between Japan and the rest of the world. It only sounded like he's looking for a training base with such requirement overseas because people had been speculating on him moving his training base outside Japan - when he hasn't actually decided.

as for the newcomers who are training with various quads I'm sure it'll be great if Shoma trains with them, but remember that 3-4 years ago, they weren't around nor training those quads yet. And Shoma was already competing then. (Heck some of the quads landed by TJ skaters are only announced recently during this off-season!) How is he able to take them into account if the situation had not yet come into fruition when he made the changes to his coaching arrangement?

Ophelia

Record Breaker
If Hanyu retires in time before 2022, I could see TCC taking Uno.

Given Uno's requirements in a coaching situation, I feel like the only two coaches he could go with are Orser and Raf.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
If Hanyu retires in time before 2022, I could see TCC taking Uno.

Given Uno's requirements in a coaching situation, I feel like the only two coaches he could go with are Orser and Raf.

Yuzu doesn't seem to be ready to retire. If his health allows him, I can easily see him in 2022.

Anyways, If Shoma feels he needs changes, now is the time to make them, there is still time before next Oly's for him to settle with new team. Fingers crossed he finds his new home quickly :)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I dont think that was Shoma's intention at all.

I wasn't trying to imply he was, sorry if I was unclear. In hindsight, I should have written 'this makes it sound' rather than 'he makes it sound'. Anyhow, good luck to him!

OniBan

Final Flight
I wasn't trying to imply he was, sorry if I was unclear. In hindsight, I should have written 'this makes it sound' rather than 'he makes it sound'. Anyhow, good luck to him!

no worries, no hard feelings on this end. Personally I think him biding his time in choosing a training base is a good decision - as you can see lots of things transpire and change during the off season - and these can factor into him making the final decision on a training base (which may not be necessarily outside of Japan). Anything is possible at this point.

I believe Shoma was four months old when Takeshi Honda landed the first ever quad by a Japanese skater (qualifying round at 1998 Worlds?) :)

tokoyami

On the Ice
wonder what reasons Shoma has for not going with Eteri, not that I'm being critical - just purely curious

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
wonder what reasons Shoma has for not going with Eteri, not that I'm being critical - just purely curious
He never intended to stay with Eteri off the bat, so this doesn’t say anything about his time with her (beyond, I guess, that he didn’t love it there so much that he immediately dropped his previous plan). This was always pitched as him trying out in several different places.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^Really? Posters on here were smugly calling Eteri a done deal a month back after his announcement he'd be training at her camp.

rabidline

Final Flight

I think Shoma's own plan was always to enter her training camp this summer, we have quotes from his Colantotte event back in May 2019 that he's excited for the training camp to be around skaters of high level and who do difficult jumps (Eteri's girls, as we found out later).

I haven't seen any direct interview or quote from Shoma that implies or hints that he would choose Eteri as coach, or that he wouldn't.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^Really? Posters on here were smugly calling Eteri a done deal a month back after his announcement he'd be training at her camp.

Posters can say what they want, based on their own hopes and suppositions;)

Shoma himself never said he was going to Eteri permanently, and Shoma said he was looking and that he very well might not have a coach this year. He never said, AFAIK, that Eteri was only for the summer, but neither did he commit. He did say would make a decision after the camp.

Now camp is over and he’s made a decision. He’s still looking. I wish him all the best and hope it works out:cheer:

ETA: I was typing at the same time as Rabidline and Rabidline was clearer than me :)

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I didn't see any smugness - people who love Shoma and love Eteri Tutberidze may have gotten a bit premature from sheer glee, but doesn't that happen all the time? When the skater is as popular as Shoma, we do tend to follow their slightest movement even more closely than they probably do themselves and end up ahead of them wondering why they haven't caught up :laugh:

rabidline

Final Flight
I believe Shoma was four months old when Takeshi Honda landed the first ever quad by a Japanese skater (qualifying round at 1998 Worlds?) :)

Mathman, your comment got me looking up Shoma baby photos and thank you because he's ADORABLE :love:

moriel

Record Breaker

Actually no, posters here were simply saying that it meant he was strongly consiering her as alternative.

As for reasons why it didn't work out, it can be many things, ranging from Shoma not liking it to Eteri not liking it.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Some reporters made the assumption, and there's been a ton of speculation posted here and elsewhere, but Shoma himself never committed to choosing a coach this year. He's been clear to the press that it's going to be tryouts this season.

I'm a little worried for Shoma being without a main coach. This is something that a handful of top skaters have chosen to do, each for their own reasons, and the results have been ok in the short term, not so good in the long term IMO.
But I'm also glad that he's really taking his time to choose the best environment for himself before committing. One season without a main coach will be ok I think.
Next season, I hope he can have a main coach and a solid training schedule towards the rest of this Olympic quad. That's the main goal.

Last edited:

yude

Record Breaker
Shoma is also going to Switzerland in September to work with Lambiel, so he seems to have tryouts in different places indeed.

I was talking with my friend, how about him working with Hamada's team? She has Vincent who has multiple quads (he is not always in Japan though), but maybe too many students for her? :think: