Shoma Uno | Page 1153 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Figskater23

Final Flight
Yes, it's kale. Kale is a vegetable. A vegetable Shoma probably doesn't like but will gladly give to his little brother anyway. 🤣

Edit: I actually enjoy that type of kale, by the way. It's the other commonly sold type of kale that I don't like as much. It helps if you avoid eating the fibrous stems of the kale. 🙂 I'm actually glad this discussion turned towards the merits of kale. 🙂
I’m with Shoma. I tried kale a few times and every time it was completely yuck! 🤮

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m with Shoma. I tried kale a few times and every time it was completely yuck! 🤮
Have you tried lacinato kale? Also, have you only had kale in salads? In addition to avoiding the fibrous stems, sautéing the kale can make it taste better. It cooks very quickly! And if you cook it long enough, it becomes as crispy as a potato chip! In fact, there's companies out there that sell kale chips in various flavors as a snack. Kale chips are surprisingly tasty!

(I understand the irony of being a vegetable advocate on a thread dedicated to a carnivore...but I hope that Shoma eats a vegetable at some point during his retirement. 😂)

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Over the years,Shoma had the honor of presenting retirement bouquets to Tatsuki, Takahiko, Mao,and Satoko. Who will do the honor of presenting the bouquet to him?
I'm guessing Rio or Koshiro! 😁
I figured you were already packing your bag! :laugh2: I'm sure it will be a case of WHEN you will go, not IF you go. You'll have to take orders for cafe cups, if they sell them. They'd be crazy to not sell them!

Not quite sure if I'm dreading or looking forward to the press conference. What if he says he's completely done with skating? Waaaaa. No, that won't happen will it????
I can't say I'm not worried about what the press conference will have in store for us, but Shoma quitting skating is the least of my worries. I'm certain he will continue to skate in shows for a while. 😁 Shoma describing the sadder moments of his career or giving a depressing reason for why he decided to quit or saying that he's completely lost without skating in his life...possibilities like that are what I'm worried about. 😭

Edit: I can't say when I'll be back in Japan, but it certainly is a matter of when...🙂

rabidline

Final Flight
Well, no need to worry about him not continuing skating because his plan for now is to continue as a professional.

He seems so at peace and free, even though I didn't understand a words you really just can see from the cadence and lilt of his words, and his bright expression. Well, him being very handsome in that suit helps but still.

I think it's also confirmed that Toyota will continue to support him, so I think he will take a similar role to Takahiko Kozuka with them.

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After watching the retirement press conference, I feel....surprisingly happy! Slightly teary-eyed, but surprisingly happy nonetheless! Seeing Shoma smile throughout the press conference, seemingly confident that he can try out new things, saying that he feels free now after retiring...there is now no doubt in my mind that he is happy with where he is in life. 😇 He mentioned that his final decision to retire was after JNats. And um, is there anything else to remark on? Oh yes, him explicitly thanking Marin and Toyota for helping him along the way. Toyota just seems like the kindest sponsor ever. :)

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, no need to worry about him not continuing skating because his plan for now is to continue as a professional.

He seems so at peace and free, even though I didn't understand a words you really just can see from the cadence and lilt of his words, and his bright expression. Well, him being very handsome in that suit helps but still.

I think it's also confirmed that Toyota will continue to support him, so I think he will take a similar role to Takahiko Kozuka with them.
Oh yeah, confirming that he would go pro was the first thing he said, why didn't I write that? 😆

Another thing, when it comes to skating, it's no longer "I have to do this" or "I want to do this" but "I want to try and do this." It didn't sound that bad in Japanese, but it's certainly a change of perspective. 😅

Edit: It definitely seemed that Toyota would continue to help him out, though I'm not quite sure in what way. I think they were showing Shoma meeting with the Toyota president at one point.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So we still have to continue the "Who will present the bouquet?" contest. And when? Maybe the next ice show. Hey, how about having a cake too!...Makes me crazy that I hear many of the same words over and over and yet understand close to nothing. The whole thing had such a POSITIVE feel to it though! I cannot express enough how I LOVE that he is ending his career with such class, such dignity, such a sense of satisfaction. The whole thing is just SO Shoma. I am so glad I have had the privilege of being his fan. I'm so proud of him!!!!
:thank::ghug::console::dbana:

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So we still have to continue the "Who will present the bouquet?" contest. And when? Maybe the next ice show. Hey, how about having a cake too!...Makes me crazy that I hear many of the same words over and over and yet understand close to nothing. The whole thing had such a POSITIVE feel to it though! I cannot express enough how I LOVE that he is ending his career with such class, such dignity, such a sense of satisfaction. The whole thing is just SO Shoma. I am so glad I have had the privilege of being his fan. I'm so proud of him!!!!
:thank::ghug::console::dbana:
I too am glad that I became a Shoma fan. He was thanking his fans throughout the press conference. 🥹 I'm so glad that non-Japanese speakers like you could also sense the seriously positive energy throughout the whole thing! Perhaps it's because the Toyota representative made sure to frame things in a positive way-- and Shoma responded in a way that framed things positively as well. Although, shouldn't "Toyota representative" be the answer to "Who will present the bouquet?" 😆

Edit: He deserves more than just cake, no, he deserves an oversized parfait or a thick steak! Or even both of those things at the same time!🍨🥩 Perhaps he'll make another trip to Yakiniku Rion soon?!?

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looks like there is more good news from Mizuno!!!

Masama Uno
Thank you very much for your hard work over the past 21 years of competition.
The way he always gave his all to figure skating and to himself gave us courage.
Whether it's a brilliant success or a tearful failure at times, I feel once again that all of those journeys have led to Uno today.
We are truly happy to have walked this journey together with Uno and the fans.

Uno is about to embark on a new path.
We at Mizuno will continue to work together with Uno.
We will continue to support exciting skating together.

Thank you very much, Masama Uno.
And thank you for your continued support.

Shoma's message on the Mizuno site:
I, Masama Uno, will retire from competition at the end of this season and follow the path of a professional skater.

Until now, Mizuno has provided many opportunities to interact with fans not only through training wear but also through collaboration goods, and we have received a lot of "support" every time we see the goods at the venue.

From now on, I will be involved in figure skating in a different way than before, but I would like to express my gratitude for Mizuno's support as a professional and will continue to devote myself to growing as a person.

Thank you for your continued support.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I too am glad that I became a Shoma fan. He was thanking his fans throughout the press conference. 🥹 I'm so glad that non-Japanese speakers like you could also sense the seriously positive energy throughout the whole thing! Perhaps it's because the Toyota representative made sure to frame things in a positive way-- and Shoma responded in a way that framed things positively as well. Although, shouldn't "Toyota representative" be the answer to "Who will present the bouquet?" 😆

Edit: He deserves more than just cake, no, he deserves an oversized parfait or a thick steak! Or even both of those things at the same time!🍨🥩 Perhaps he'll make another trip to Yakiniku Rion soon?!?
That was the practice bouquet!!! :cheer2: Now he needs a bouquet from a fellow skater! Perhaps instead of a cake they could bring out 50 pounds of niku along with rice -- and hold the kale!!!! LOL.

It felt like a friendly, positive vibe, and then when I read the English, I knew it was a positive vibe. Plus occasionally there was a little bit of laughter... I think his relationship with Toyota has always been a good one, and as a Nagoya (former) resident, it would be great if they would continue their support. Seems like ColanTotte and Mizuno will too.

(OT, but coincidentally, I was just reading an article online about the 10 Reasons That Toyota makes such great cars!)

16Olympics

On the Ice
Happy Mother's Day to Mother Uno. Thank you for believing in your son, for your unwavering support, for turning your life upside down to travel all over the world to his competitions, for accompanying him to Switzerland. For me, this Unowan video was one of the most emotional -- Mother Uno in the yard hugging the moffs shortly after Sho's first Worlds win. I'm sure this felt like the culmination of all her hard work. I'm sure there were tears. :ghug::console:

Ah, that's so sweet and heartwarming to see. I don't think I've ever seen this. Thanks for bringing it back.

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ooh, post-press conference remarks! Even Shoma himself felt a warm feeling at the retirement press conference according to this. 🥰 He may not have known how to answer some questions in a serious manner, but all in all he seems to have enjoyed it too!

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Kind remarks from someone whose daughter was at the Nagoya Sports Center when Shoma was practicing there, the Uno Cafe store manager, and the people who run Jolie Hair and Face (where Shoma often got his hair styled). The cafe manager mentioned, "I get the feeling that he is truly a skater that is loved around the world."