Should Skate Canada send Osmond to Worlds instead of Lacoste ? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should Skate Canada send Osmond to Worlds instead of Lacoste ?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Canada wants to make a breakthrough in ladies skating, the federation needs to make those girls mentally though. The first thing they need to do is to ditch the interntioanl assignments based on reputatio. They need to ditch Amelie but pick up Kaetlyn for the world championships. Neither Amelie nor Cynthia has shown any mental toughness. They need to go.
Tell us how you really feel. :laugh:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
No she shouldnt. However I could easily Osmond passing both LaCoste and Phaneuf by in the next 2 years, maybe even by next years Canadians. I wonder if Samson will make a comeback and if she is still in the mix if she does.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Since pangtongfan brought up Samson's name, can I ask again?
Does anyone know how she is doing lately?

The last time I remember I saw Myriane is at 2011 4CC, where she seemed to be in so much pain. I have not seen or heard her since...retired alreadly I wonder?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
In my opinion Canada can't change its skater after announcing Lacoste won/earned the spot. that really sounds improper. That being said, and I am sorry to sound nasty, behind closed doors or people are thinking Lacoste really doesn't garner much support or confidence. Deep down or not so deep down despite Phaneuf skating horrible this year really has a better chance making top ten (despite skating horrifically she barely lost twice to Amelie. Amelie just doesn't have the personality or skating skills to really like her. Osmond has potential but look at the scores and she isn't much likely to do much better. She reminds me a bit of Jennifer Robinson when Canada was really weak in ladies. She often did 6 or 7 triple programs but there were two foot problems and huge issues with speed, power and amplitude on the jumps and stroking. Still Canada must be hoping loudly that Joannie Rochette comes back.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Absolutely not. Lacoste earned her spot - more than once - and she deserves the chance to skate in the biggest event of the year. It's not appropriate to make up the qualification rules as you go along.

Also, I generally prefer to see junior skaters not being pressured, and calling upon a young skater to save Canadian ladies skating, based on a couple of good programs, is a bad, bad idea.

thumbyskates

Rinkside
Also, I generally prefer to see junior skaters not being pressured, and calling upon a young skater to save Canadian ladies skating, based on a couple of good programs, is a bad, bad idea.

Canada should just write this year off...none of them - Cynthia, Amelie, or Kaitlyn - would be/will be in the top 10 at Senior Worlds barring major, major meltdowns and skates of their lives (which I'd be willing to bet against). So in the end, we'll still only have one spot for next year and realistically 1 spot for the Olympics. They need to write off this whole Olympic cycle. Kaitlyn has a fabulous future - she's a bright light on a dark horizon in the near future. They need to let her develop appropriately and slowly into a Senior skater. Let her skate on the Junior circuit next year and gain experience and consistency. Let Amelie and Cynthia fight it out for that spot. Kaitlyn can focus on 2018 and Skate Canada can focus on the cycle after the Olympics.

I know it won't happen as SC loves instant success and will probably push and burn Kaitlyn out...I hope Ravi has enough power and sense to fight it and let her continue to develop. If she's "raised" right - there are a lot of bright lights in Novice and Pre-Novice in Canada...and hopefully she can set the way.

(In short, no - let Amelie go to Worlds. It doesn't really matter and she earned it).

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Canada should just write this year off...none of them - Cynthia, Amelie, or Kaitlyn - would be/will be in the top 10 at Senior Worlds barring major, major meltdowns and skates of their lives (which I'd be willing to bet against). So in the end, we'll still only have one spot for next year and realistically 1 spot for the Olympics. They need to write off this whole Olympic cycle. Kaitlyn has a fabulous future - she's a bright light on a dark horizon in the near future. They need to let her develop appropriately and slowly into a Senior skater. Let her skate on the Junior circuit next year and gain experience and consistency. Let Amelie and Cynthia fight it out for that spot. Kaitlyn can focus on 2018 and Skate Canada can focus on the cycle after the Olympics.

I know it won't happen as SC loves instant success and will probably push and burn Kaitlyn out...I hope Ravi has enough power and sense to fight it and let her continue to develop. If she's "raised" right - there are a lot of bright lights in Novice and Pre-Novice in Canada...and hopefully she can set the way.

(In short, no - let Amelie go to Worlds. It doesn't really matter and she earned it).

Completely agree with all of this. Right on.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Kaitlyn needs to spend another year in Juniors because she has issues with speed, flow, and refinement in her presentation. She has had very limited international experience, as has her coach. Ravi Wallia didn't compete internationally even though he made the team a number of times when he was skating so this is a learning experience for both of them.

Osmond is definitely on the right track and Ravi is doing a great job with her so far. Let her skate junior, away from the TV cameras, and maybe even win a medal or two. Given that a number of skaters at Jr. Worlds will be skating senior next year, it would be good for Kaitlyn to get used to winning internationally before we move her up.

AmuChan363

Rinkside
She's only 16, lets not have her burn out from all pressure. She's already getting tons of media attention in Canada about being a potential Canada's next sweetheart (they ran a segment about the lack of ladies figure skating in canada during JW which i honestly found a little mean but kinda true)

As Amelie WON senior nationals and has the international experience to back up her reasoning to go, and having so much hype and whine about who to send to Worlds it would like a slap in the face to both amelie and cynthia if katelyn went instead.

If Katelyn solidifies her 3Lz, and already having a consistent 3-3 she or alexandra najjaro could easily top amelie/cynthia for the title next year. If for some reason they want to do the same thing they did this year (battle it out again at 4cc) i have nothing to say......

lol some american girls should come represent canada. theres like 10 of them that are world medal contenders and would easily solidify a spot on the canadian team.

Canada should just write this year off...none of them - Cynthia, Amelie, or Kaitlyn - would be/will be in the top 10 at Senior Worlds...

Well, that is certainly the message that Skate Canada has sent to the international judges this year.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Since pangtongfan brought up Samson's name, can I ask again?
Does anyone know how she is doing lately?

The last time I remember I saw Myriane is at 2011 4CC, where she seemed to be in so much pain. I have not seen or heard her since...retired alreadly I wonder?

Last time she spoke, she said she definitely wasn't retired, but that was pre-Nationals. I think she intends on returning next season.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Last time she spoke, she said she definitely wasn't retired, but that was pre-Nationals. I think she intends on returning next season.

Thanks a million, IP!

I am glad to know she intends to return.
Looking forward to seeing her smile again on the ice.
My best wishes for your full recovery, Myriane!

spikydurian

Medalist
As Amelie WON senior nationals and has the international experience to back up her reasoning to go, and having so much hype and whine about who to send to Worlds it would like a slap in the face to both amelie and cynthia if katelyn went instead.

Agree. Though she may not be perceived as a world contender, Amelia earned her spot by winning the Nationals and 4CC. That's only fair. At this point of time, I don't think anyone can guarantee that Cynthia will podium given her current state. Kaitlyn is still young and still need to grow much more to be realistically a strong contender on world stage.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Agree. Though she may not be perceived as a world contender, Amelia earned her spot by winning the Nationals and 4CC. That's only fair. At this point of time, I don't think anyone can guarantee that Cynthia will podium given her current state. Kaitlyn is still young and still need to grow much more to be realistically a strong contender on world stage.

Yep, what's fair is fair. I can't see them sending Kaetlyn; they made their decision and Osmond skate at juniors was hardly jaw dropping. I am sure Skate Canada knows that sadly at this time their best hope for a top ten would be an "on" Phaneuf. But she didn't earn her way to World's; Lacoste did. Maybe others will skate poorly and Lacoste skates well and a miracle could happen. If the Georgian skater, Kostner has one of her epic melt downs and the j udges don't hold her up, Finns, Russians and one American lady "bombed" which is possible - not likely- considering their past histories a top ten is in reach. That being said the chances are slim -very slim. Lacoste must be thrilled to go to France; Ihope for her sake it is a good experience.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ladies competing at Worlds who have a higher SB rank than Amelie Lacoste:

192.41 Ashley WAGNER USA ISU Four Continents Championship 2012 11.02.2012
188.62 Mao ASADA JPN ISU Four Continents Championship 2012 11.02.2012
187.48 Carolina KOSTNER ITA ISU Grand Prix Final 2011/12 10.12.2011
185.98 Akiko SUZUKI JPN ISU GP NHK Trophy 2011 12.11.2011
180.45 Alena LEONOVA RUS ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2011 26.11.2011
179.15 Alissa CZISNY USA ISU GP Trophee E. Bompard 2011 19.11.2011
169.32 Kanako MURAKAMI JPN ISU Four Continents Championship 2012 11.02.2012
166.94 Kiira KORPI FIN European Championships 2012 28.01.2012
165.93 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO European Championships 2012 28.01.2012
164.13 Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA RUS European Championships 2012 28.01.2012
162.59 Kexin ZHANG CHN ISU Four Continents Championship 2012 11.02.2012
162.34 Polina SHELEPEN RUS ISU Junior Grand Prix Final 2011/12 09.12.2011* if she replaces MAKAROVA
160.82 Viktoria HELGESSON SWE European Championships 2012 28.01.2012
159.59 Ksenia MAKAROVA RUS European Championships 2012 28.01.2012
148.48 Amelie LACOSTE CAN ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2011 26.11.2011

MasterB

Final Flight
HELL.......NO, she earned that spot fare and square.

If anything, they need to pursue Rochette back.

Ladies competing at Worlds who have a higher SB rank than Amelie Lacoste:

192.41 Ashley WAGNER USA ISU Four Continents Championship 2012 11.02.2012
188.62 Mao ASADA JPN ISU Four Continents Championship 2012 11.02.2012
187.48 Carolina KOSTNER ITA ISU Grand Prix Final 2011/12 10.12.2011
185.98 Akiko SUZUKI JPN ISU GP NHK Trophy 2011 12.11.2011
180.45 Alena LEONOVA RUS ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2011 26.11.2011
179.15 Alissa CZISNY USA ISU GP Trophee E. Bompard 2011 19.11.2011
169.32 Kanako MURAKAMI JPN ISU Four Continents Championship 2012 11.02.2012
166.94 Kiira KORPI FIN European Championships 2012 28.01.2012
165.93 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO European Championships 2012 28.01.2012
164.13 Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA RUS European Championships 2012 28.01.2012
162.59 Kexin ZHANG CHN ISU Four Continents Championship 2012 11.02.2012
162.34 Polina SHELEPEN RUS ISU Junior Grand Prix Final 2011/12 09.12.2011* if she replaces MAKAROVA
160.82 Viktoria HELGESSON SWE European Championships 2012 28.01.2012
159.59 Ksenia MAKAROVA RUS European Championships 2012 28.01.2012
148.48 Amelie LACOSTE CAN ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2011 26.11.2011

Cynthia Phaneuf 147.47
Kaetlyn Osmund, 146.25

Not exactly sure what the point is, here.