Skate reccomendations | Golden Skate

Skate reccomendations

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Can anyone reccomend a good brand of recreational skates? This may sound premature, but I just can't see me skating for any length of time on what passes for skates at the "rink" I skated at on Saturday. The skates had no toe pick and the flat of the blade was literally flat! I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg, but I want to get something that will hold up.

Also, does shoe size = skate size?

Thanks,

Jo

Edited to add that the skates I used Saturday looked like these, but the blade was definately not right. Is that possible? I swear there was no toe pick. http://skate-buys.com/sobofisk.html

Last edited:

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Hi there childfree

There are several skates on the market that would be suitable for recreational skating. I would suggest any of the following:

Donald Jackson Artiste or Glacier skates
Riedell Ribbon series (blue, yellow, red ribbon)
Gam 120

All of these skates will run you around the 80-100$ mard (cdn funds)

Canuck

skatepixie

On the Ice
I got Reidell gold medallions as my fisrt skate. I would recomend those. Jackson tends to have problems, and the above listed reidells arent leather. Youll be supprised how soon you will want more support.

starshinexavier

On the Ice
childfreegirl said:
Also, does shoe size = skate size?

Not always. Most people tend to wear their skates smaller than their shoes, just for the fact that you need a snug fit in your skates, so that you can take full command of your edges, and so your foot isn't flopping around in the skate. Some people wear the same sized skate and shoe, but most wear a half size to a full size smaller.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Re: Re: Skate reccomendations

starshinexavier said:
Not always. Most people tend to wear their skates smaller than their shoes, just for the fact that you need a snug fit in your skates, so that you can take full command of your edges, and so your foot isn't flopping around in the skate. Some people wear the same sized skate and shoe, but most wear a half size to a full size smaller.

The reason I asked was the site I was looking at said dress shoe size = skate size and I didn't figure that could be the case. Also, some of the skates on the site were only in full sizes and it said to take up the excess with insoles or something?

Thanks,

Jo

Lanie

On the Ice
I had Jacksons and nothing but problems, but they work for some and don't work for everyone.

My shoe size is 2-3 and my Riedells--Silver Stars, nice, solid boots--are a size 1 1/2.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
My daughter wears a size 3 shoe.

When we went skate shopping, she was a 3 Reidell, a 2.5 Jackson, 3.5 Gam, and we ended up with size 2 Grafs.

Go figger, lol!

Every skate manufacturer has a different method of sizing. It is very important that you go in and try them on. It is nearly impossible to properly order skates out of a catalogue.

CartDi

Rinkside
Wow, most people's skate size are only about one size smaller! I wear a size 6-7 shoe and a size 4 skate! Mind you, I'm talking about rental skates. They're pretty digusting, lol.

Tove

On the Ice
I wear about two sizes smaller skates than shoes...but then, they're hockey skates...since I'm a hockey player:D :love:

the worst thing is when parents by really big skates for their kids so they won't grow out of them so fast, and they end up with no support at all and several pair of woolen socks....:p