Skaters carrying the flag in the Opening Ceremony | Golden Skate

Skaters carrying the flag in the Opening Ceremony

lulu

Final Flight
Here is a rundown of the skaters who will be carrying their National flags in the opening ceremony:

Fluer Maxwell: LUX
Gheorge Chiper: ROM
Kevin Van der Perren: BEL
Carolina Kostner: ITA :rock: to Carolina for getting such an honor.

Not officially listed but...

either Kristin Fraser or Igor Lukanin: AZE (as they are the only members of the Azerbijani Olympic team)

have a good chance at carrying a flag...
Vakhtang or Elene for GEO(There is also a men's Slamon athlete as well)
Margarita or Ponvilias for LIT (The Lithuanian team is a bit larger-8 skaters, but they still have a chance)
Israel: There is also a very good chance that an ice skater will carry Israel's flag, as 4/5 athletes are figure skaters. For the past 2 Olympics, Galit Chait carried the flag-so I hope they give it to someone else.

Nominated but not chosen:
Michelle Kwan: USA
Irina Slutskaya: RUS (I think Plushenko was also nominated as well)
I *think* Jeffery Buttle was nominated to carry the Canadian team flag. (?)

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Bravo for Carolina, Fleur, George & Kevin!!!!!

re. Russia - If not Pluschenko then who-the-heck??? Some unknown biathlete??? Russia's A-#1 contingent at these games is figure skating. Who on earth could have a better chance at gold than Plushy? It's not as if Russia is favored in hockey or any of their old traditional gold-winning sports. Only in figure skating are they absolutely at the top of the game.

Sorry - this really bugs me!!!

Last edited:

carol45

Rinkside
Shaters Carrying Flags

One would think that since Stephane Lambiel is the Men's World Figure Skating Champion, the Swiss would "get it" and have him carry the flag. If they choose somebody from their medicore ski team, I will be pissed.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
lulu said:
Here is a rundown of the skaters who will be carrying their National flags in the opening ceremony....

Lulu - May I ask where, on the web, may I find this official list of flag carriers? I'd like to see who is carrying the Russian flag....as well as those of a few other countries that you have not listed, such as Switzerland (Lambiel?) & Hungary (Sebestyen?...Euro champ recently). Thanks.

I refuse to believe that figure skating will be so under-represented at the opening ceremonies!

lulu

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
Lulu - May I ask where, on the web, may I find this official list of flag carriers? I'd like to see who is carrying the Russian flag....as well as those of a few other countries that you have not listed, such as Switzerland (Lambiel?) & Hungary (Sebestyen?...Euro champ recently). Thanks.

I refuse to believe that figure skating will be so under-represented at the opening ceremonies!

I don't think there is any official list-the info I have is from various posts on a thread on FSU.

Maybe Plushenko or Irina will get to carry the flag in the closing?

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
lulu said:
Israel: There is also a very good chance that an ice skater will carry Israel's flag, as 4/5 athletes are figure skaters. For the past 2 Olympics, Galit Chait carried the flag-so I hope they give it to someone else.
Galit will be carrying the flag.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Galit for a 3rd time? 'Tsar Boris' must be behind this. What else can we expect? :yes:

Last edited:

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
This is just wonderful...George,Fleur,Kevin,and especially Caro and Ira! I knew about two of them, but I think this is just perfect!:agree:

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Frau Muller said:
Galit for a 3rd time? 'Tsar Boris' must be behind this. What else can we expect? :yes:

It's not like Israel has a ton of winter athletes. I think it's the two ice dance teams and one skier. So it really should be Galit or Sergey.

lulu

Final Flight
Pixie Cut said:
It's not like Israel has a ton of winter athletes. I think it's the two ice dance teams and one skier. So it really should be Galit or Sergey.

They have Sergei S, as well as Alexandra & Roman Zaratesky and a skier.

Since Galit carried the flag in the opening ceremony in both Nagano AND SLC, I think it would have been nice if either Sergei or one of the Zars got the honor in this Olympics.

But I'm sure Galit will look adorable as always.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
lulu said:
They have Sergei S, as well as Alexandra & Roman Zaratesky and a skier.

Exactly my point. Maybe Galit is trying to set a Guiness Record for most times that one person carried a flag at Olympics ceremonies?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
Bravo for Carolina, Fleur, George & Kevin!!!!!

re. Russia - If not Pluschenko then who-the-heck??? Some unknown biathlete??? Russia's A-#1 contingent at these games is figure skating. Who on earth could have a better chance at gold than Plushy? It's not as if Russia is favored in hockey or any of their old traditional gold-winning sports. Only in figure skating are they absolutely at the top of the game.

Sorry - this really bugs me!!!

in 1980, Scott Hamilton carried in the flag because of his story, not because his chance for medaling(which was like nil and no one outside of skating knew who the runt was carrying the flag)... it's not all about the medals when it comes to carrying a flag... normally the olympic medal winners get to be voted to carry the flag out, IIRC... perhaps someone had a better story/reason for carrying the Russian flag...

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
Exactly my point. Maybe Galit is trying to set a Guiness Record for most times that one person carried a flag at Olympics ceremonies?

Galit is the only one who was actually born in Israel, others are naturalized citizens. Maybe that's why? Just a speculation..though I don't think it's "kosher" to discriminate based on that. All citizens regardless wheather they speak Hebrew with an accent or not should be treated equal.

I agreee - others should also get an honor to carry the flag

S

SkateFan4Life

How wonderful to see figure skaters carrying the flag for their country at tomorrow's opening ceremony! :clap: :bow: :clap:

alyona

Rinkside
Plushenko and Slutskaya will come to Torino after an opening ceremony, so they'd have no chance to carry a flag even if they wanted to. As for other Russian favorits, Marinin has a competition right after the ceremony, and I don't know what's with Navka-Kostomarov, but they aren't actually the best Russian chance to win.

And please take into account that carrying a flag is very hard work both mentally and physically. I wouldn't want my fellow-countrymen favs to take such a risk.

Linny

Final Flight
Don't the athletes choose?

Don't the athletes choose the flag bearer? Methinks that Galit, for example, is just the most popular athlete among the Isrealee athletes, or that perhaps she wanted it and the others on the team were not so heart set so they voted for her. Or whatever.

I totally doubt that any outside influence would use 'cards' to get this honor bestowed on an individual, simply because this is such a small honor in the grand scheme of things... smart outside influences hold their 'cards' close to their shirt buttons and use them for things that make a difference.

Linny