Skaters On The Brink | Golden Skate

Skaters On The Brink

Which of these skaters can break through to the top 5 in the world? Or Olympics?

• Total voters

BigSk8Fan

Rinkside
Which ones are thisclose to medaldom in the next season of national and international world competitions.

Ophir

Rinkside
BigSk8Fan, I don't really have much hope for the men; for me, in at least the top three, it will be Plushenko, Joubert and Weir; Kevin Van Der Perren front loads his programs horribly and has an almost non-existent 3x and no quad; at canoe.ca a few months ago, they talked about how he fell into a heap everytime he tried it in practice. His weak showings at Euros and Worlds suggest that he may have peaked at Juniors. Trophee Lalique was a fluke for him. Buttle? Nahhhhh, he is not exciting at all and the same thing applies to his 3x and quad. Stephane Lambiel seems like the only one here, and he will place most likely no better than third. Because on his combination jumps, he always hesitates in between the jumps, and he's wild and out of control at times; and the Chinese guy is not great. Good quads, but not much else. He skated last year under CoP and bombed. Emanuel Sandhu? No way at all! Too lazy and inconsistent. The talent is there but I don't see him getting any higher than Canadian Nationals. I don't even know why you put him in here; the only thing he's consistent at is his....well, inconsistency.

As far as the ladies are concerned, Yukina Ota. Carolina Kostner is a jumping machine, and not a very consistent one. And I don't think she's really all that graceful, nothing at all like Ota or Arakawa. Ann Patrice? Beautiful to look at, as long as she isn't skating. Phaneuf has jumping ability but she's like a newborn, not fully developed. She is the best hope for Canada though, their ladies fall behind the men, unlike the United States. Miki Ando is the same way; her quad is nothing special and quite cheated.

Last edited:

dewet

Final Flight
Ophir said:
Stephane Lambiel seems like the only one here, and he will place most likely no better than third. Because on his combination jumps, he always hesitates in between the jumps, and he's wild and out of control at times; and the Chinese guy is not great. Good quads, but not much else.

As far as the ladies are concerned, Yukina Ota.

I agree with Lambiel, but for Li, since when is 145.17 for a long program not a good score? He was just really, really, inconsistent. Sandhu was the only one who beat Plushenko under COP, so maybe he'll somehow get consistent.

Yukina Ota with cheated jumps? She's a great skater but I doubt she'll get far in COP.

BigSk8Fan

Rinkside
dewet said:
I agree with Lambiel, but for Li, since when is 145.17 for a long program not a good score? He was just really, really, inconsistent. Sandhu was the only one who beat Plushenko under COP, so maybe he'll somehow get consistent.

Yukina Ota with cheated jumps? She's a great skater but I doubt she'll get far in COP.

I think Ota has good in-between stuff, they will love her laybacks and Ina Bauers, but yes, she will have to work on the jumps.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Um, considering that Lambiel and Ando were both 4th at this past worlds, maybe you should consider taking them off the list. Making top 5 at Torino is a definate posibility for both IMHO.

Kevin Van Der Perren - I'm scepticle. At SLC he did two clean programs with a 3axel/3toe in both, and still ended up in 13th, behind all the ones who crashed and burned on quad attempts. Kevin's career, IMHO, is a struggle to stay in the top 10, a cusp he doesn't always bridge. Please don't take this as being mean, I'm a fan, but I'm also realistic.
Jeffrey Buttle - The potential is there
Emanuel Sandhu - The potential is there
Chengiang Li - The potential is there
Ann Patrice McDonough - not unless some big change happens
Carolina Kostner - definately yes, she's been in the final 6 warm-up both times at worlds. For a newbe, that's huge.
Yukina Ota - she's kinda like A-P. A lovely skater, but given nats, even making the world team is a huge battle for her. She's a little less introverted than A-P, but both need to clean up their jump tech to shine or even survive COP. I'm gonna say unlikely.
Cynthia Phaneuf - I only saw her at Jr worlds and was underwhelmed. Rochette at worlds was much better IMHO, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her take away the title at next nats. It's kinda soon to tell, but she hasn't done anything to make me think she can do it yet. Unfortunately, lots of Candian champs don't make the top 5.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted for Sandu. It is just my opinion, but if he gets consistent with his jumps----look out!!

Dee

Ophir

Rinkside
Dee4707 said:
I voted for Sandu. It is just my opinion, but if he gets consistent with his jumps----look out!!

Dee
Sandhu is brilliant and for a tall skater (6'0"), surprisingly light on his feet. No one, and I mean no one, has his balletic grace in men's skating. Only Rohene Ward comes close. And Johnny Weir. Eman is like a cat or something. I have read some things about his home life, and apparently has little contact with his family. I am wondering if he should switch coaches. I don't mean to play rinkside shrink, but his issues are mental, not athletic. Though, IMO, as a tall skater, he must focus more on his technique. Heck, he needs to focus period.

berthes ghost said:
Kevin Van Der Perren - I'm scepticle. At SLC he did two clean programs with a 3axel/3toe in both, and still ended up in 13th, behind all the ones who crashed and burned on quad attempts. Kevin's career, IMHO, is a struggle to stay in the top 10, a cusp he doesn't always bridge. Please don't take this as being mean, I'm a fan, but I'm also realistic.
I agree with you here. He says he wants to medal at the Olys in 2006, but the European pool of talent is quite deep, and he's eating sand for supper. He's a cute kid with some nice qualities on the ice, but I don't see him getting up into the top five unless he is willing to work real hard.

BigSk8Fan said:
I think Ota has good in-between stuff, they will love her laybacks and Ina Bauers, but yes, she will have to work on the jumps.
I find her far more graceful than Arakawa or Ando, but without those triple-triples, no one will ever get a chance to look at her-the Japanese ladies are quite strong, maybe even stronger than the US ladies' team. I am so not a fan of the skating of Miki Ando, she seems quite rushed and awkward in her approach to skating.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'd go with Sandhu. Yeah, he's maddeningly inconsistent, but I figure he's GOTTA break through one of these days. I mean, if Julia Sebestyen finally stopped the 18th-in-short-program-but-5th-in-the-long-program-or-sometimes-the-other-way-around syndrome, so can he!!!

shine

Record Breaker
I am wonderfing where is Joannie Rochette on the list. To me she looks like a bigger possiblity than any of those skaters listed, except for Lambiel, Kostner and Ando who ALREADY made top 5 at Worlds. She's only 18 and has perfect technique on just about everything; she's also improving at a very high rate, and she did come close - 8th at worlds.
Sandhu is the skater who *should* have made top 5 since forever. I love Yukina Ota, but as others have mentioned, we can't even be sure whether she'll place top 3 at her own nationals.

Last edited:

Ophir

Rinkside
shine said:
I am wonderfing where is Joannie Rochette on the list. To me she looks like a bigger possiblity than any of those skaters listed, except for Lambiel, Kostner and Ando who ALREADY made top 5 at Worlds. She's only 18 and has perfect technique on just about everything; she's also improving at a very high rate, and she did come close - 8th at worlds.
Sandhu is the skater who *should* have made top 5 since forever. I love Yukina Ota, but as others have mentioned, we can't even be sure whether she'll place top 3 at her own nationals.

I would love to see a Canadian lady get it together - the father of my oldest (12) is from Halifax and I have never in my life seen a nation so much in love with all of their skaters, male or female. When it comes to figure skating, they are wonderful sportsmen, good sports and just have an innate love for skating. I can totally understand why Sale & Pelletier (sp?) were so important to Canada. They are one of my fave pair couples, along w/Ina & Zimmerman and the amazing Gordeeva & Grinkov. :)

BigSk8Fan

Rinkside
Ophir said:
Stephane Lambiel seems like the only one here, and he will place most likely no better than third. Because on his combination jumps, he always hesitates in between the jumps, and he's wild and out of control at times;
As far as the ladies are concerned, Yukina Ota. .

Third place through the Olys will be between Lambiel and Weir. Plushenko has built a reputation on his ugly skating. And most likely, he will win the gold medal next year and in Italy. I can't stand his mugging and his hideous costumes. But Plushy has the jumps the judges want. .Lambiel has flair and Johnny Weir has an inherent grace I've never seen in a US male skater; once he gets a consistent quad, fuggedaboudit. His costumes, I hope he improves those, because I want him to look as masculine as he can on the ice - he's beautiful to watch. But I hate his costumes. The SP costume this year was godawful. It really was.

I have mixed feelings about Lambiel. He's too wild - like a gypsy. Stephane's spinning leaves me breatless, however. And he's a cutie in a coltish sort of way. I like Van Der Perren. I disagree with you, Ophir, when you say he has peaked. VDP has a clean cut, austere type of skating. Front loaded? What is wrong with getting the jumps out of the way so you can focus on skating? And he's a beautiful boy, with those sharp features, bushy eyebrows, blue eyes and red hair, and the 3-3-3. The Code of Points acknowledged this jump. I think he will do well.

As for the ladies, I think Ota has great potential. Phaneuf is also a lovely lady to watch on the ice. I really dislike Ando's skating. Kwan, Cohen and Arakawa are the only ladies I am concerned about for next season.

Last edited:

Ophir

Rinkside
BigSk8Fan said:
I like Van Der Perren. I disagree with you, Ophir, when you say he has peaked. VDP has a clean cut, austere type of skating. Front loaded? What is wrong with getting the jumps out of the way so you can focus on skating? And he's a beautiful boy, with those sharp features, bushy eyebrows, blue eyes and red hair, and the 3-3-3. The Code of Points acknowledged this jump. I think he will do well.

As for the ladies, I think Ota has great potential. Phaneuf is also a lovely lady to watch on the ice. I really dislike Ando's skating. Kwan, Cohen and Arakawa are the only ladies I am concerned about for next season.

And what on earth does looking like a teen idol have to do with his abilities? I think you've got a crush on him and want him to do well, and that's fine. He doesn't need his "bushy eyebrows" or "red hair" to win top 5 placements, he needs ability. Plushenko, Joubert, Lambiel, Lindemann, Klimkin. They are all ahead of him in terms of ability, my dear. Without the jumps, I don't see him really succeeding. He still skates like a junior skater.

BigSk8Fan

Rinkside
Leave Kevin VDP Alone!!

Ophir said:
And what on earth does looking like a teen idol have to do with his abilities? I think you've got a crush on him and want him to do well, and that's fine. He doesn't need his "bushy eyebrows" or "red hair" to win top 5 placements, he needs ability. Plushenko, Joubert, Lambiel, Lindemann, Klimkin. They are all ahead of him in terms of ability, my dear. Without the jumps, I don't see him really succeeding. He still skates like a junior skater.

What's it to ya if I like him. He's adorable. And Klimkin? Puh-leese. He has some technical ability, but I couldn't stand his LP at Euros. His music and costume and body contortions didn't appeal to me at all. And Kevin does have a 3xAxel, it just isn't consistent right now. Please don't trash one of my favorites. I haven't trashed yours. Humph.

astarz41

Rinkside
No one was trashing KVP. You're the one doing the trashing re Plushy. :rolleye: It's a message board, you have to expect people to disagree with you. Riiight, "music and costume and body contortions" have almost as much to do with breaking into the top five as "bushy eyebrows and red hair." :p

Last edited:

Ophir

Rinkside
astarz41 said:
No one was trashing KVP. You're the one doing the trashing re Plushy. :rolleye: It's a message board, you have to expect people to disagree with you. Riiight, "music and costume and body contortions" have almost as much to do with breaking into the top five as "bushy eyebrows and red hair." :p

True, but I think BigSk8Fan was criticizing Klimkin, not Plushenko. He's okay I guess. He has more ability than Kevin though.

astarz41

Rinkside
"Plushenko has built a reputation on his ugly skating. And most likely, he will win the gold medal next year and in Italy. I can't stand his mugging and his hideous costumes."
That's not nice. And umm yeah, I guess Plushy is pretty able....... :p

Last edited:

Ophir

Rinkside
astarz41 said:
"Plushenko has built a reputation on his ugly skating. And most likely, he will win the gold medal next year and in Italy. I can't stand his mugging and his hideous costumes."
That's not nice. And umm yeah, I guess Plushy is pretty able....... :p

Well! I didn't she that one. Shame on you BigSk8.