Skaters who skate to the same music: How do they compare? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters who skate to the same music: How do they compare?

starlight97

Final Flight
On a side note, question - how do skaters avoid using the same pieces of music as each other during one season? There are so many skaters, and an annoyingly small pool of music they all like to use, that the probability of two people/teams using the same music is high.

They just don't for some reason :D
Great example here: Yulia's SP music
Yulia's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qphTLWysKdY
Serafima's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Duyc2RkOk
Just wasn't that noticable since Serafima doesn't compete on Yulia's level..

Alba

Record Breaker
Farris and Lipnitskaia both have medals (gold and silver) from Junior Worlds 2012 and 2013. Is it really likely that she would not know him?? :confused2:

I have no idea, just saying. I know that she watch those whom she likes and knows.
It's not strange not to know all the competitors. You don't have time to watch all of them even if you want to.

Anyway, the point was why would she be relevead that he was not in Sochi? The same music/subject but totally different POV.
One is from a child perspective the other is from a young man. Not to mention that they compete in two different cat.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's your opinion, when you go on youtube and see the view counter. Yulia got 422,494 views and 363,387 views for her LP (and hundred of thousand views from other account).
While Joshua got 3,234 views for his LP.

I don't want to dismiss Joshua, and I didn't say that he was not a good skater. I simply said Yulia's LP is more memorable and awesome. The crowd see that, too. This is not even a contest at all. One has more than a million views combining all the clips, one might not even reach 10.000 views.

Oh, so sorry that Joshua is not a pretty little girl hyped to the gills to attract Youtube hits. :rolleye:

So sorry that Yulia had an injury-free season and was sent everywhere, giving her program more exposure.

And no, Yulia didn't rely on gimmicks to sell it. I heaven't seen the movie at all and I don't have to. I feel her program very much. On the other hand, I think Joshua's Schindler list was a bit cheesy.

Are you kidding? Joshua's Schindler's List had emotion. Yulia's had a pretty little girl in a red coat who could pull her leg into crazy positions.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Are you kidding? Joshua's Schindler's List had emotion. Yulia's had a pretty little girl in a red coat who could pull her leg into crazy positions.
The fact that you stated it without "I think" or "in my opinion" is the proof of a biased statement. I am not kidding at all. When I knew that Joshua also use the same music as Yulia for LP, I googled it right away and I was disappointed. The same music but I feel it's cheesy and he looked like he had a lot of emotions but he couldn't transfer his feelings to the audience. I think his movements was over dramatic and somewhat look helpless, he didn't look like he had control over his own program.

Anyways, Joshua is not a pretty girl, but he is not bad looking either. He even has the better looks than Jason Brown, but Jason got 4 millions views, while Joshua's video couldn't get over 5000 views. And all happened inside USA. State the difference.

And yes, Yulia can pull her leg into crazy positions but that's her strength, no one can do it, why she shouldn't use it for her advantage? If no one else can do it, why it's less amazing for her to execute it? She worked hard for it and people felt it. That's why her programs went viral.

I have no experience with the movie Schindler's List and I don't even have the intention to watch it. So to me both Yulia and Joshua's music for LP were just somewhat good melody for the background, nothing more. If you ask me what made me WOW more, then the reply is simple: Yulia's. Her program was a complete package.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's your opinion, when you go on youtube and see the view counter. Yulia got 422,494 views and 363,387 views for her LP (and hundred of thousand views from other account).
While Joshua got 3,234 views for his LP.

I don't want to dismiss Joshua, and I didn't say that he was not a good skater. I simply said Yulia's LP is more memorable and awesome. The crowd see that, too. This is not even a contest at all. One has more than a million views combining all the clips, one might not even reach 10.000 views.

And Grumpy Cats get MILLIONS of youtube hits, so what does that prove?

Know who Maria Castelli is? I'll give you a hint--she's not a skater. She was the best-selling writer of the Victorian period, the James Patterson of her day. And how many people remember her now? Popularity does not ipso facto equal quality.

To me, Julia's short program last year and her long program were both skated with the same single emotion. There's a reason I call her Forlorn Girl. Teen love. Nazi atrocity. Same difference.

But hey--de gustibus non est disputandum.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That when you break things down to its simplest form...often what apears on the surface(like Karne's dismissive leg over head talk)...and pass judgement....it is a sign of intolerance and at the very least disrespect. She is a hard working skater who deserves the success and fans she has. What's the big deal. Joshua should be so lucky.

Meoima

Match Penalty
That means people would rather watch Grumpy Cats over many different things because she is wayyyy cuter?:biggrin: The world is a dark place, cute things save our mentality, you haven't heard of that?

Know who Maria Castelli is? I'll give you a hint--she's not a skater. She was the best-selling writer of the Victorian period, the James Patterson of her day. And how many people remember her now? Popularity does not ipso facto equal quality.
Do you know Sviatoslav Richter? He is one of the greatest pianist of ALL TIME. One of his most favourite video on youtube: http://youtu.be/Ej5rGGTHy54
The Well-Tempered Clavier Book, such a hard-core and pro classical music, one might think he is not that famous anymore since he passed away years ago, but his videos on youtube combine might even get millions of views. Obviously he will be remembered much longer. Talk about popularity does not go along with quality, huh? :laugh:

To me, Julia's short program last year and her long program were both skated with the same single emotion. There's a reason I call her Forlorn Girl. Teen love. Nazi atrocity. Same difference.
Oh really? Millions viewers have different taste from you. Nothing wrong with that. At least you cared to add the bold part.

Why don't you say that to karne? Maybe Because you and karne are the same, just trying to dismiss everything Yulia has done. Her abilities, her works, her placements at multi competitions have said it all. She doesn't have as much back-up as "the next big thing" of Russian Fed like Adelina or Kovtun, yet she has archived so much, for a 16 years old girl.

As much as I never felt the hype over Yuna and Mao, I never say "Yuna skates without emotions" or "Mao should go home because she skates like she couldn't handle the program she chose." I accept their greatness and talents, just not a fan.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That means people would rather watch Grumpy Cats over many different things because she is wayyyy cuter?:biggrin: The world is a dark place, cute things save our mentality, you haven't heard of that?

Do you know Sviatoslav Richter? He is one of the greatest pianist of ALL TIME. One of his most favourite video on youtube: http://youtu.be/Ej5rGGTHy54
The Well-Tempered Clavier Book, such a hard-core and pro classical music, one might think he is not that famous anymore since he passed away years ago, but his videos on youtube combine might even get millions of views. Obviously he will be remembered much longer. Talk about popularity does not go along with quality, huh? :laugh:

Oh really? Millions viewers have different taste from you. Nothing wrong with that. At least you cared to add the bold part.

Why don't you say that to karne? Maybe Because you and karne are the same, just trying to dismiss everything Yulia has done. Her abilities, her works, her placements at multi competitions have said it all. She doesn't have as much back-up as "the next big thing" of Russian Fed like Adelina or Kovtun, yet she has archived so much, for a 16 years old girl.

As much as I never felt the hype over Yuna and Mao, I never say "Yuna skates without emotions" or "Mao should go home because she skates like she couldn't handle the program she chose." I accept their greatness and talents, just not a fan.

Well I agree with one statement: people have different tastes and there's nothing with that. Alas, we just had an example where someone stated an opinion and someone else then proceeded to call them "dismissive" and "intolerant." And that I do not agree with at all.

Sometimes popularity and quality combine, but all too often they don't. And popularity is one of the weakest defenses of the quality of a given thing or subject that I can think of.

And I would appreciate it if you didn't assume things like I am "just trying to dismiss everything Yulia has done." That to me is just as bad as saying someone is "dismissive" and "intolerant" simply because they have a different opinion. I may think Picasso was an artistic genius who had talents so few are lucky to possess. That doesn't mean, however, I want one of his paintings hanging over my living room couch. And it also doesn't mean I'm dismissive of his achievements either. Geez!

Again, de gustibus non est disputandum. And you can consider I have said that to karne as well. In fact, go right ahead and consider I have said it to every single person who reads this post.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My two cents on Joshua Farris: He's more impressive in person. I wasn't a huge fan of his prior to seeing him at U.S. Nationals this year. His Schindler's List FS was a highlight of the competition for me.

As to why Julia L has had a lot more hits, she's had a lot more exposure than Joshua. She skated at the biggest stage there is so a lot of those hits came from four-year-fans who were impressed by her her performance in the Olympics. Clearly there is something that captivates people. Personally, I think her programs were a huge improvement from past years, but I do agree with some here that the SL music carries her through a bit. I think there is still a lot she can improve on in the performance department. But she's young, so she definitely has time to develop.

And I agree with WeakAnkles that number of hits is not always an indicator of quality. It just happens to be that Jason Brown's Riverdance program got 4M hits, but Jason has a lot of other great programs that got nowhere that number of hits, even with the Olympic year boost.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I agree with WeakAnkles that number of hits is not always an indicator of quality. It just happens to be that Jason Brown's Riverdance program got 4M hits, but Jason has a lot of other great programs that got nowhere that number of hits, even with the Olympic year boost.
I simply disagree with karne has stated, that Yulia must have been relieved because Joshua did not compete in the same competition. If any, I am sure the high probability that people would pay attention to Yulia's SD more than any skater (aside from Mao, Yuna and Caro). So the number of youtube hits is just an example, that if you want to say Joshua has a better SD than Yulia, I see no proof. It doesn't mean I dismiss Joshua's talents, I simply state that people would likely to be more fond of Yulia's SD.

If Yuzuru, the Olympic Champion, used the same music as Yulia, I am sure people would pay more attention to Yulia. But if Yulia used the same Romeo music as Yuzuru's LP at 2012 worlds, I think it's Yuzuru who would have received more attention. There is something that only works so well with certain skater. I simply state so. SD works so well with Yulia and I can't see any skater, even if that one is Mao, Carolina or Yuna can triumph her with the same music.

Just like Jason Brown's River dance, I don't see other skaters, no matter how talented they are, could hit the same success as Jason with the same music.

As to why Julia L has had a lot more hits, she's had a lot more exposure than Joshua. She skated at the biggest stage there is so a lot of those hits came from four-year-fans who were impressed by her her performance in the Olympics. Clearly there is something that captivates people. Personally, I think her programs were a huge improvement from past years, but I do agree with some here that the SL music carries her through a bit. I think there is still a lot she can improve on in the performance department. But she's young, so she definitely has time to develop.
She got many hundred of million hits even before Sochi, just saying. It is a complete package as I have stated. I am not a fan of Yulia's jumps (I love huge jumps) but overall her program had better appeal and it's objective (ie: youtube views).

Yulia has nothing to relieved just because Joshua did not compete in the same competition, given the fact that Joshua is not a lady. :laugh: I just want to point out the biased point in Karne's statement. If you want to bring down other skater from OTHER discipline just to prove that your favourite is better, then what about tasting the reverse?

And it's good to know that Joshua is more impressive in person. Because watching his SD through youtube, I was not much impressed.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This is fair criticism. I don't expect everyone to like Yulia or think she is the bees knees of skating. I do however think she has earned more respect than to be summed up as a gimmick who pulls her leg over her head(.) Is that really so unfair. It's clear to me me whose Schindler is better and even more obvious whose was more successful. I'm with WeakAnkles though in respecting individual taste so I see no need to insult one and claim victor to another. I think both are done well.

A question for the Joshua fans. What can he do to make his Schindlers list more successful? I've seen it a few times and other than the beautiful step sequence I wasn't really wowed by much else. Obviously people are moved by it for their own individual reasons and I admit I liked it too but felt it wasn't a highlight program amongst the men's field.

The funny thing is I watched Joshua on Karne's urging and discovered ,as she pointed out, how much his artistic qualities developed from when he was Yulia's age to now. Windmill arms and all. You would think his fans could be understanding of the maturation of skaters:confused2:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
This is fair criticism. I don't expect everyone to like Yulia or think she is the bees knees of skating. I do however think she has earned more respect than to be summed up as a gimmick who pulls her leg over her head(.) Is that really so unfair. It's clear to me me who's Schindler is better and even more obvious who's was more successful. I'm with WeakAnkles though in respecting individual taste so I see no need to insult one and claim victor to another. I think both are done well.

A question for the Joshua fans. What can he do to make his Schindlers list more successful? I've seen it a few times and other than the beautiful step sequence I wasn't really wowed by much else. Obviously people are moved by it and I admit I liked it too but felt it wasn't a highlight program amongst the men's field.

The funny thing is I watched Joshua on Karne's urging and discovered ,as she pointed out, how much his artistic developed from when he was Yulia's age to now. Windmill arms and all. You would think his fans could be understanding of the maturation of skaters:confused2:

Thank you. That's all I'm saying. You can disagree all you like and love a skating head of cabbage if you like. De gustibus, etc. But my Mom, who is a much wiser person than I'll ever be, once told me, "If you have to knock someone else down to prop up who you like, then it doesn't say much about who you like."

As far as Joshua Farris, I said months ago that he simply needs to find that right program (and stay healthy) to break through. His Schindler's List is not an exciting program (in the way that Jason's Riverdance was), but it is a deeply moving one (yes, in my opinion; de gustibus, after all). Sometimes a whisper can speak louder than a scream.

And I'm hoping he'll break through soon, because a battle of the Js (Farris and Brown) would be terrific. That kind of competition does tend to push athletes to a whole 'nother level. Ask Voir and Marlie. Or Mao and Yuna.

mskater93

Record Breaker
That when you break things down to its simplest form...often what apears on the surface(like Karne's dismissive leg over head talk)...and pass judgement....it is a sign of intolerance and at the very least disrespect.
Please. It's karne's OPINION! It's not intolerance, it's how she/he perceives things while watching Yulia's programs. :rolleye: This smacks of political correctness - if you don't agree with the prevailing "politcally correct" opinion, you are intolerant and disrespectful. In this case, the PC opinion is Yulia's Schindler's List was amazing. Not everyone felt/feels this way.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Please. It's karne's OPINION! It's not intolerance, it's how she/he perceives things while watching Yulia's programs. :rolleye: This smacks of political correctness - if you don't agree with the prevailing "politcally correct" opinion, you are intolerant and disrespectful. In this case, the PC opinion is Yulia's Schindler's List was amazing. Not everyone felt/feels this way.
Really, personal opinion, then why did karne had to bring down Yulia first? No one ever mentioned his favourite skater or brought him down. It's karne who started the comparison. He simply believed that Joshua's SD was superior and more emotional without showing any clear and reasonable proofs for people who were not familiar with Joshua's SD to comprehend. I simply replied with "I think" and "I feel". ;)

As I have said, if you had to bring down skaters from other discipline just to prove that your favourite is better, what about tasting the reverse? It's karne who brought down skater from another discipline first. If you care to read from the start.

Heck, as if Yulia had to worry about men discipline. :unsure: Unless she or he change their gender.:slink:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Did you even read my post above ? You're missing the point IMO. Especially if you choose to ignore the first part of my post. It's the biggest part of the context to which I'm posting.

LRK

Record Breaker

An aside, and has really nothing to do with the ongoing discussion, but... are you sure you didn't mean Marie Corelli?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Corelli

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I suspect she doesn't even know Farris, let alone be relieved because he was not there. :laugh:

You're talking about your emotional state, Farris effect on you. That's not a fact, just your opinion and taste.

I don't think Farris is at the same competitive level as Lip yet at least so they don't really rate. Farris maybe emotes more kind of like the Brian Boitano school of skating acting - stares to the heavens above but I am not sure his program had more meotion.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I loved Julia's SL but it seemed a bit rushed at times. I would love to see her bring this back maybe for an EX or something once shes a bit more mature. Joshua's SL was good but not memorable to me. His skating just doesn't attract me.....Dare I say its his lack of presence on the ice? But since he's bringing it back, I'm excited to see it again now that he's more comfortable with the program.