Skates for beginner adult / heel support | Golden Skate

Skates for beginner adult / heel support

rockers

Spectator
Hello! I have been skating for the past 6 months (took LTS + private lessons), and I’m in my late 20s (5’7”, ~120 lbs). I’ve mostly passed basic 8, and I could do waltz and toe loops. Currently learning salchows and brackets.

I’m using Jackson Artiste at the moment (~5 months as I was on hockey skates before). I have two issues with it:
1. They generally feel loose at the back, and I need to pull my laces tighter. The front part is pretty snug, and can be slightly tight. I could put two fingers at the back of my skates once my foot is in.
2. When landing single jumps/combos (multiple waltz/waltz+toe loop), my landing foot gets sore easily. Post skating, my heel on my landing foot would hurt. Is this something to do with the boots/insoles, or a muscle issue? If I don't do jumps that day, heels are OK the next day. Off-ice jumps are OK too.

I skate around 8 hours per week (1-2 hours per day). Folks at my rink mentioned that getting a pair of new blades would help with progress as well. Is this the right time to upgrade? If yes, any recommendations would be appreciated; I think my feet are slightly wide, and I'd prefer something light and comfy inside. I'm mostly interested in edges, turns, and step sequences; will probably only learn up to single jumps.

Thank you!

Last edited:

2sk8

Rinkside
You are probably about "tapped out" on the skates you have given your advancing skating level. It is a good time to look at new skates and perhaps a separate pair of blades. It sound slike these Jacksons aren't fitting your heel area well, so whether it is a different pair of Jackson or another brand, it is especially important to be properly fit by someone with experience fitting figure skates. I would try to go to a shop that has a variety of brands - try Risport, Graf, Riedell - in addition ot Jackson, and see what fits your feet. For Risport, maybe an RF3; Graf - Caprice or Prestige.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If your toebox is wide, you are going to need to look at Risport or Jackson. Riedell is for more narrow feet as is many of Graf.
You might be able to get away with an Electra or RF3Pro. Jackson look at their new synergy elite (rapid custom), it may be your best bet.
JW Coronation Ace or MK Pro Blades.

Good luck!

2sk8

Rinkside
If your toebox is wide, you are going to need to look at Risport or Jackson. Riedell is for more narrow feet as is many of Graf.
You might be able to get away with an Electra or RF3Pro. Jackson look at their new synergy elite (rapid custom), it may be your best bet.
JW Coronation Ace or MK Pro Blades.

Good luck!
Current Graf models come in a variety of widths, and many have a quite wide toe box with a narrower heel, designed for this foot shape.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Current Graf models come in a variety of widths, and many have a quite wide toe box with a narrower heel, designed for this foot shape.
Every boot brand comes in a variety of widths, doesn't mean they're for everyone. Secondly, I know Graf pretty darn well and have been the only one for years here even suggesting them to people.

2sk8

Rinkside
Every boot brand comes in a variety of widths, doesn't mean they're for everyone. Secondly, I know Graf pretty darn well and have been the only one for years here even suggesting them to people.
But, their lasts have changed since the Graf of many years ago. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss - I have a lot of experience with them as well, just choose not to post a lot.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But, their lasts have changed since the Graf of many years ago. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss - I have a lot of experience with them as well, just choose not to post a lot.
I have experience with them now and for the last several decades. I keep up with these things and am a former elite, now pro. I'm been in all skates, tested them, and blades. People seek me out here hence why I'm posting alot, and I'm not here to get in a match with someone over it. Can we please just move on?