Skating History | Golden Skate

Skating History

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
You know how those youtube vids just pop up? They know I am a Miki Ando fan.
Saw I saw this. Miki at 14 at NHK 2002. Gala
Very odd....skater is actually skating during a gala...and with the lights up! And Jumping! The place isnt packed though...just like 2001 Japanese nats....
Anyone know the commentators?

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am forming a new set of lists as I have decent material from 1968 on, but am unsure of how far back I want to go. Often it would just end up condensed lists of competitors with one or two entries of minute clips. I have the 1970's already ready. The list would include Euros, Olympics & Worlds.

Choices of the lists:
The beginning of skating - 1998 ( not much video here)
Post War 1948-1998 ( would include greats like Dick Button ..kinda spotty before 1960)
The TV Era 1960-1998 (when network TV started broadcasting skating consistently)

I'd love suggestions...

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am forming a new set of lists as I have decent material from 1968 on, but am unsure of how far back I want to go. Often it would just end up condensed lists of competitors with one or two entries of minute clips. I have the 1970's already ready. The list would include Euros, Olympics & Worlds.

Choices:
The beginning of skating - 1998
Post War 1948-1998
The TV Era 1960-1998

I'd love suggestions...

What a great work, @labgoat.

Since you have the 70s already, are you asking if you should go before the 70s? or are you asking about the titles?

And what, just comps? No Strawberry Ice? (Just kidding, of course. Even I can only take Toller's shows in limited doses. :biggrin: )

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a great work, @labgoat.

Since you have the 70s already, are you asking if you should go before the 70s? or are you asking about the titles?

And what, just comps? No Strawberry Ice? (Just kidding, of course. Even I can only take Toller's shows in limited doses. :biggrin: )
I am trying to figure out how far to go back before the 70s. Walt has a lot of data in the oldies thread already. I would be adding the names of the other participants and condensing it into tables. I am not sure how much interest there would be for it though. The titles are choices of what the overall list could be.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see, I like the titles. I understand, I would be interested in 60s, but not much before, but that's just me. :)

Thanks again for putting this together.

thavence77

Spectator

Choices of the lists:
The beginning of skating - 1998 ( not much video here)
Post War 1948-1998 ( would include greats like Dick Button ..kinda spotty before 1960)
The TV Era 1960-1998 (when network TV started broadcasting skating consistently)
also when there are no competitions, I keep in shape even at home with https://bestbodyworkout.com/1000-calorie-workout/
I'd love suggestions...
wow! This is great