Skating moves named after the skater | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating moves named after the skater

Vash01

Medalist
icenut84 said:
The "Mike Pike" is something that, actually, almost every skater learns. In the US it's called a shoot-the-duck, in the UK it's called a teapot, and I think it has a few other names too. Skaters almost always have to learn it (unfortunately!!). They're not done at the elite level that often, but some skaters do do them, such as doing them as a transition into a jump (Nancy Kerrigan for one has done a backwards "mike pike" into a jump in her SP before, and I'm pretty sure others have done similar things too). It's certainly not somehting Mike Weiss invented, nor is it something that only he does. He does it very well, granted, but in relation to most skating moves at the elite level it is not among the most difficult.

As for the Biellmann spin, I don't know if Denise Biellmann actually invented it or whether she just popularised it because it became her trademark. Every time this issue is brought up, people say that actually other skaters did it before her - one poster has already mentioned one, but I'm sure I've read that Tamara Moskvina used to do it when she was a skater too, which of course was before Denise's time.

Long before Denise Biellman did that spin, Tamara Moskvina (yes, the same one!) had done it as a singles skater. However, it did not get the recognition. Denise Biellman's spin did. Hence the name Biellman.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
IDLERACER said:
I've always felt that Maria Butyrskaya should've named that spin where she clasps her hands behind her back after herself. I don't recall anyone else ever doing that before her...Of course, I also have never seen anyone but her do it ever since. This opens a whole new question...Is there any point in naming something after yourself if no one else has any interest in performing it? It would be a bit redundant to call something a Butyrskaya Spin if she's the only one who'll probably ever do it.

Not necessarily. Given enough time, someone else may want to do it. I agree that it should be called the Butyrskaya spin.

Vash

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
icenut84 said:
The "Mike Pike" is something that, actually, almost every skater learns. In the US it's called a shoot-the-duck, in the UK it's called a teapot, and I think it has a few other names too. Skaters almost always have to learn it (unfortunately!!). They're not done at the elite level that often, but some skaters do do them, such as doing them as a transition into a jump (Nancy Kerrigan for one has done a backwards "mike pike" into a jump in her SP before, and I'm pretty sure others have done similar things too). It's certainly not somehting Mike Weiss invented, nor is it something that only he does. He does it very well, granted, but in relation to most skating moves at the elite level it is not among the most difficult.

As for the Biellmann spin, I don't know if Denise Biellmann actually invented it or whether she just popularised it because it became her trademark. Every time this issue is brought up, people say that actually other skaters did it before her - one poster has already mentioned one, but I'm sure I've read that Tamara Moskvina used to do it when she was a skater too, which of course was before Denise's time.

Naturally, as a former figure skater, I am well aware of and can do a "shoot-the-Duck." It is actually taught to prepare one to learn the sit spin because the move is done in the sit spin position except one is travelling forward or backwards with ones foot stretched out in front. The Shoot-the-duck is a basic field move learned at the beginners level. I must have done a million of them before nailing a good sit spin. Why a shoot-the-Duck would be called a "Mike Pike", I have no idea, because the Shoot-the-Duck goes way back in figure skating. It was not invented by Michael Weiss. I believe the poster was referring to the jump that Mike does - based on a gymnastics move. I have only seen Mike do it once successfully.

No doubt the legend of the Biellmann spin grew because of her persistently doing this variation of a one foot spin and making it her own. It became Denise's trademark spin. However, many of these moves we see today were done years ago by other skaters - the Biellmann spin though is a very tricky move and not recommended for anyone who does not have good flexibility in their back. In fact, Denise injured her spine perfecting this spin.

"Even though Denise did not actually invent the Biellmann spin, since Janet Champion of the US and Karen Iten had also performed this spin, she had made the spin famous in the late 1970's and early 80's. She has also developed many variations of this spin throughout her professional career."

Here is more information on Denise Biellmann:

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_s_biellmann.htm

http://members.shaw.ca/ingridg/history.html

Last edited:

mad

Spectator
I wouldn't go so far as to say there are no more moves to be invented, but perhaps it will be more variation on the original. A spin is a spin is a spin, but L. Ruh definately does the best pancake spin. I hope you all get to see what alot in New England are calling the Shepard Sit Spin. Maybe you'll all get to see it if she makes it through sectionals and places at Nationals (a junior). She has really good flexibility and goes down all the way on her sit spin, her free leg is completely straight and then brings the free leg up and it almost looks like she is going to fall backwards on her butt. It gets so many oohs and aahs because people who haven't seen it before thinks shes falling but it turns out to be an amazing spin!

Vash01

Medalist
Shoot the duck is very a basic move in skating, and it has been performed millions of times, so it should not get the name Mike Pike, even if he is using it in combination with something else.

gezando

Final Flight
Spinner said:
AFAIK, Tamara Moskvina was doing Biellmann spins long before Denise ever thought of them. I've seen pics, but I can't provide a date.

I have read about that too.

About the Sasha curl , actually Lipinski was able to do that curl on an edge

gkelly

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Shoot the duck is very a basic move in skating, and it has been performed millions of times, so it should not get the name Mike Pike, even if he is using it in combination with something else.

Well, I think the point is that he grabbed his blade while doing it, so that was his variation on the shoot-the-duck.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I hope you all get to see what alot in New England are calling the Shepard Sit Spin. Maybe you'll all get to see it if she makes it through sectionals and places at Nationals (a junior). She has really good flexibility and goes down all the way on her sit spin, her free leg is completely straight and then brings the free leg up and it almost looks like she is going to fall backwards on her butt. It gets so many oohs and aahs because people who haven't seen it before thinks shes falling but it turns out to be an amazing spin!
Wow that sounds really awesome! When you say she brings her free leg up, do you mean like an I-Spin (leg and body parallel) or is her back paralell to the ice and her leg in the air (like a fan spiral)? Either way it sounds cool.

mpal2

Final Flight
I had forgotten about Mike's "tornado". That's also another eye roller because of the blatant need for attention, but I could tolerate naming the move because he is putting a major variation on an existing ice move. The "Mike Pike" kills me every time because even my limited 6 months of ice skating lessons had me at least learning a shoot the duck position. I couldn't do it well, but I tried. :laugh: I just don't see the need to name a beginner move after yourself if you're an elite level skater. :p

S

SkateFan4Life

TwizzlerS said:
I am fairly sure that the "Biellman" spin and the "Hamill camel" were not invented by their namesakes. It was just that they did them so well and they used them as highlight or signature moves so they were named after them. If you've seen Denise Biellman do a Biellman spin, you'll know no one can do them like her. I don't have a problem with naming signatures moves after skaters who showcased the move to the extent Biellman and Hamill did theirs. But, I don't think the Mike Pike fits this category. Lucinda Ruh, on the other hand, should have the Pancake spin named after her.

Actually, I believe that Dorothy Hamill and her coach, Carlo Fassi, invented the combination spin that became known as the 'Hamil Camel".

Brain Boitano certainly did not invent the triple lutz, but his variation of it, with one hand twirling overhead, was a "new" move, and bears his name - 'Tano Triple.

Tiffany Chin had several inventive spins, a few of which were dubbed "Chin Spins" for a while, but those names did not stick.

It certainly helps if your name happens to rhyme with a skating move, such as the "Hamil Camel".

What I look for is for someone to invent a new jump or spin - nothing daredevil - but a move that can be incorporated into their competitive programs. Or, at the least, perhaps a variation of an existing jump could be invented.

Would the ISU have to bestow their blessing on these new moves for them to be incorporated and/or receive credit in the programs?