Skating with the Stars | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skating with the Stars

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Brooke Castille has reportedly been admitted to the hospital with a badly cut finger/hand... (this from Melissa and Denis' facebook)

Brandon Smith admitted also with food poisoning.

Well, I'm watching. It is definitely not great skating! I will have to look back at the Canadian, Russian, and English versions on YouTube to recover. But the contestants are doing their best, as are the skating pros, and effort always wins me over. One thing that impresses me is how seriously Johnny Weir takes his job. He's very articulate and tries to give constructive criticism in a clear but respectful way. Good for him! I think the best thing this program can do is provide teaching moments to get the general public interested in skating. That's what Dancing with the Stars has done for ballroom dancing, and So You Think You Can Dance has done for most kinds of performance dance. For that, they need to show some real skaters performing. I hope this will happen later in the program!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, I'm watching. It is definitely not great skating! I will have to look back at the Canadian, Russian, and English versions on YouTube to recover. But the contestants are doing their best, as are the skating pros, and effort always wins me over. One thing that impresses me is how seriously Johnny Weir takes his job. He's very articulate and tries to give constructive criticism in a clear but respectful way. Good for him! I think the best thing this program can do is provide teaching moments to get the general public interested in skating. That's what Dancing with the Stars has done for ballroom dancing, and So You Think You Can Dance has done for most kinds of performance dance. For that, they need to show some real skaters performing. I hope this will happen later in the program!

Honestly the only reason I watch is to see how Dick Button flubs up... and to support those skaters that I "know".

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have to say - I like this Johnny Weir way more than the persona he chose for fluff pieces and interviews during his competitive days. has he matured? or does he just not feel the need for posturing in this atmosphere?

L'amour

On the Ice
I have to say - I like this Johnny Weir way more than the persona he chose for fluff pieces and interviews during his competitive days. has he matured? or does he just not feel the need for posturing in this atmosphere?

he muts have learned something from his difficult past seasons. Meybe he is more mature now and iI like him better this way (what's up with is cloths?)

I missed the show...I eas watching The Walking Dead :biggrin:

what Tanith and Ben skated to? there are any links on youtube?

Agreed, Tonichelle. I think something of this personality was always there. I always keep in mind an editorial from Blades on Ice magazine some years ago (wish I'd saved it). In it the writer said that people often got the wrong impression of Johnny because of his outspokenness, but that in face-to-face encounters, he was always polite and obliging, and patient with fans and reporters. I think that when he's not trying to shock people, he seems very considerate. To me the main thing is that he's not a bully; he might carp at Evan, but Evan's a big boy whose position in skating is secure. Johnny doesn't pull rank on people with less strength. Case in point: last night when he talked to Bethenny Frankel, he was just right in tone when he told her not to let judges' comments upset her, because they were trying to help her improve. Unfortunately, Bethenny didn't respond with equal maturity. She sniped later that she doesn't pay attention to what the judges say because she cares only about skating for "the people." But Johnny's behavior was exemplary and made skating look good.

ranjake

Final Flight
I was disappointed with Bethenny's response to Johnny; and I say that as a fan of hers. Johnny's been getting hammered by Bethenny fans on twitter- well, not just Johnny, Lori and Dick, too- are being accused of being unfair to Bethenny- of judging her personally. I thought what Johnny said to her was great. I thought her response of not caring about the judges was disrespectful- she knew this was a show with a judging component going into it. Bethenny's been a media darling for a year, so maybe it's difficult for her to take any criticism, even if it's meant to be constructive.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Johnny's been getting hammered by Bethenny fans on twitter- well, not just Johnny, Lori and Dick, too- are being accused of being unfair to Bethenny- of judging her personally.

If anything, the personal things they've said are positive. She needs to get over herself.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I was disappointed with Bethenny's response to Johnny; and I say that as a fan of hers. Johnny's been getting hammered by Bethenny fans on twitter- well, not just Johnny, Lori and Dick, too- are being accused of being unfair to Bethenny- of judging her personally. I thought what Johnny said to her was great. I thought her response of not caring about the judges was disrespectful- she knew this was a show with a judging component going into it. Bethenny's been a media darling for a year, so maybe it's difficult for her to take any criticism, even if it's meant to be constructive.

Her whole fluff piece she was griping about what the judges said, and then she comes out and says "I don't care what they say"

reminds me a lot of when Johnny Weir would get nailed in the media for something he said (which he always ended with "I don't care what others think") and when the negative response happened he'd start whining that no one liked him :laugh: DUH! Can't have it both ways. I think Johnny was trying to show her that they're not as different as she'd like to think :laugh: his critique was spot on.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sadly for me, last night I really started enjoyed Vince Neil's performance and of course he's the one who got voted off.

Still, I'm enjoying the show more each week. I've been impressed with the women pros and what they've been able to do with their men partners. Jennifer Wester really made a nice routine that didn't push Neil past what he could do. Same with the others, though of course Brooke and Keauna obviously have more athletic partners to work with.

I do enjoy Rebecca Budig and her partner and Keauna and Brandon but Brooke and Jonny have become my solid favorites at this point.

Brooke is coming across as very classy to me. Showy but not overdone. Keauna's really glopping on the makeup (or her makeup artists are) and though it was difficult to have to appear without her partner last night I couldn't help but hoot a little at what seemed to me to be crocodile tears. But then it was genuinely funny when she said she wish SHE'D been the one to be sick -- not out of martyrdom but because she knew she coulda skated anyway! I did like that response, a good balance between being sympathetic for Brandon but letting us all know she would've gone for it had it been up to her.

I've always been a Johnny Weir fan and always kept in mind the many reports from media personnel awa personal anecdotes on this board and others that Johnny is/was always very polite and considerate in person, both in fan and casual interactions. Didn't someone here post that he opened a door at a host hotel for her once? Or maybe that was skatefans. But anyways stuff like that, reports that he's always polite even when the spotlight or the cameras aren't on. Agree that he's taking his role on this show seriously. He's been strict with his marks, even stricter overall than Dick, although usually they mark identically so either they both are evaluating the same things in the same way or there's a conspiracy (no way, just kidding). But Weir tries to be thoughtful in his comments here, certainly, and that's nice.

Enjoyed Tan/Ben + ensemble number very much. Tanith was sweet but I was indignant for her when she said a lot of the people on the show don't know she's a competitive skater! Grrr to them for not knowing TANITH BELBIN fer goodness's sake!!! lol I know skaters aren't generally household names but I can still be indignant on her behalf!

JohnnyFan

Spectator
I've always been a Johnny Weir fan and always kept in mind the many reports from media personnel awa personal anecdotes on this board and others that Johnny is/was always very polite and considerate in person, both in fan and casual interactions. Didn't someone here post that he opened a door at a host hotel for her once? Or maybe that was skatefans. But anyways stuff like that, reports that he's always polite even when the spotlight or the cameras aren't on. Agree that he's taking his role on this show seriously. He's been strict with his marks, even stricter overall than Dick, although usually they mark identically so either they both are evaluating the same things in the same way or there's a conspiracy (no way, just kidding). But Weir tries to be thoughtful in his comments here, certainly, and that's nice.

I'm a Johnny fan too. I have had the privilege of meeting him in May 2006 backstage at a COI show. He is/was not a jerk or diva at all, far from it actually! Johnny has the ability to make you feel special, like it's you and him one-on-one even with lots of other fans around. Johnny didn't just pose for a photo and sign your program, he does all that and takes the time to talk to with you! It's always a bit disheartening to hear people talk about what a 'jerk' or 'diva' he is when nothing could be further from the from the truth. I truly hope I get to meet him again someday.

I originally wasn't going to watch SWTS, but when I found Johnny and Dick Button would be judges, I had to watch! It's great see Dick Button again! I was sad to see Vince Neil go, I really enjoyed him.

Bethany needs to get over herself. She's not that good of a skater, yet she acts like she's the next Ekaterina Gordeeva. I think Johnny and the other judges have been more than fair with her. I don't think she's doing herself any favors by being nasty to the judges. She doesn't seem like she's fully committed to this, it's like she only half tries. I can't stand her attitude, it stinks!

I hoped Vince Neil would go all the way, but now I hope Johnny Mosley wins based on his performances so far.

Arianne

On the Ice
Johnny really impressed me last night! He really is giving it his best! My husband and I both commented on how sick, thin and tired Bethenny looks. She just seems so fragile and thin. My husband just kept saying that her face looked skeletal. I hope she isn't taking the "skinny girl" thing to far. Her skating seemed better last week too.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sadly, I gave up after the first show, and it wasn't because of the skaters really, I was just tired. Would've liked to see Vince Neil skate at least once because my sister made me laugh about his first performance on the show. Ah well, I'll look at them on youtube when I get the chance. But I'm glad that the show is getting recognition for the sport, judging by this thread. :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
p.s. tongue firmly planted in cheek, for those that might be offended by my use of the word "sport". :biggrin: ;)

samba

On the Ice
The show was painful to watch. I feel bad for the pros., I wish they had different format or something, not sure what went wrong. Tanith's high pitch voice was so annoying, don't know why she can't speak like "normal adult female", she is not teenager anymore, 26 or something?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have tuned in a couple of times. I find the size of the rink too small and strange the way it's set up. Kind of a lame show...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The show was painful to watch. I feel bad for the pros., I wish they had different format or something, not sure what went wrong. Tanith's high pitch voice was so annoying, don't know why she can't speak like "normal adult female", she is not teenager anymore, 26 or something?

as someone taniths age and gender i gotta say its ridiculous to judge a persons voice. My pitch is similar to taniths and i have no control over it either.