So I want to be a figure skater(sort of) | Golden Skate

So I want to be a figure skater(sort of)

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
I am really enjoying reading peoples' stories about beginning their skating adventures. So why not post my own?
I'm 28 now. I finally got the chance to take lessons when I was 12. It only lasted about a year and a half. I suppose I felt silly being so old in classes with younger kids. (Oh the irony) So I sort of left the sport to focus my time and energy on being a moody teen. I never really did do any other sport after that. Unless orchestra counts. I mean it does really work the wrists ya know?
At any rate I went to college, became a nurse, got married and had 2 kids which also came with an extra 60 lbs. I haven't really gotten around to loosing that weight either yet. I did night shift for a few + years and just never had the energy to do anything besides basic survival working nights. I had it in the back of my mind I needed a hobby. My husband suggested art, music, photography classes, anything I could do for myself that doesn't include taking care of everyone around me. Yeah, yeah, I will get to it eventually. I did get off of night shift once the kids were old enough and we decided 2 is enough children. My 5 year old inherited the ice skating bug and kept begging me to go and I finally took her and it seems I liked it more!
I thought it'd just be a fun activity. Maybe I'll put her in lessons or something, afterall, surely I'm too old to get back into anything like this. While at the rink I saw this older lady skating. Beautiful form, very focused. I figured she'd been skating her whole life and still enjoys the sport. How charming! Not the case. 70 Years old and she had recently taken up the sport. And she is fabulous! So there goes my excuse, I realized.
I'm pretty much hopeless now. I have been going 2 to 3 times a week this past month. It has been nothing short of a blast each time. I realize I have a lot of muscles to re build. I never realized how important your core is in this sport...and pretty much every other muscle. I don't have that lean body type, even before kids I was more of the curvy body type, average height. But my goals are simple.
I'm doing open public skating now, simple going around the rink trying to get comfortable on skates again. Practise basic basic skills. Exercise daily. Do some yoga and stretching at night. I think I will focus on lessons after summer, after I've shed some lbs.
I've already noticed a change. I have a lot more energy and enjoy having something to look forward to.
I know I won't be going to the Olympics or landing triples. Probably not even a double. But for me feeling strong and capable and having fun ( and maybe getting ice skates in the future) is enough to look forward to!
Sorry for writing a short novel here.
Any advice, tips, or feedback would be nice!

Alex D

Record Breaker
I can´t give any advice on FS directly, as I am not a skater, but there are two things that I would recommend.

1. Consult a doctor, just do the basic checks like heart, , joints, lungs and let him determine your body fat weight. With said results, you could consult a personal coach (serious ones, will always ask you for the test results) and set up a fitness schedule. What you need, is a goal, a goal that is realistic. Most people that start with sports, have totally unrealistic expectations, like losing 30lbs in a month or so ;) After they only lost 5, they are depressed and blame the coach or sport which ultimately leads to frustration and "retirement". ;)

2. Sport and fitness takes time and depending on your personal fitness, more breaks are necessary. The biggest mistake "non athletes" do is overdoing it. An intensive training, always requires a break, a day or more, in which your body, your organs, muscles can rest and "grow" stronger. Said strength, is required to improve your own condition. How much time, is very individual and should be determined before you start. That´s why a good coach is necessary, they will work out an individual concept for you, based on your personal desire and capabilities.

Last but not least, there are also a lot of small things that you could do, like taking the stairs, walking to work, cooking yourself, laughing a lot and yes, no alcohol - no cigarettes and of course a nutrition plan. It all sounds harder than it really is, but it´s the best advice I can give.

For FS advice, I refer to Gkelly - our mastermind here :thumbsup:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
1. Consult a doctor, just do the basic checks like heart, , joints, lungs and let him determine your body fat weight. With said results, you could consult a personal coach (serious ones, will always ask you for the test results) and set up a fitness schedule. What you need, is a goal, a goal that is realistic. Most people that start with sports, have totally unrealistic expectations, like losing 30lbs in a month or so ;) After they only lost 5, they are depressed and blame the coach or sport which ultimately leads to frustration and "retirement". ;)

Regular physical at the Dr is always a good idea, but a personal trainer to set up a fitness schedule is really not necessary.

Also, you don't have to wait until you've lost weight to start. I'm still over the 200lb mark myself - I do enjoy my food!

2. Sport and fitness takes time and depending on your personal fitness, more breaks are necessary. The biggest mistake "non athletes" do is overdoing it. An intensive training, always requires a break, a day or more, in which your body, your organs, muscles can rest and "grow" stronger. Said strength, is required to improve your own condition. How much time, is very individual and should be determined before you start.

This is good advice. Your body will tell you when it needs to stop. Listen to it. Failure to do so will lead to pain.

My advice is to take it steady, as you have been, but try not to think of it in terms of "I'll get lessons when I'm xyz weight." That's not only putting off something you could be learning now, but it's also putting a deadline on your weightloss, which in general can be counterproductive.

Also, I'd get those skates sooner rather than later. Having properly fitting skates rather than clunky rentals can make a world of difference when you're just starting out.

jf12

Final Flight
Sounds like you're making good progress already! Some ideas- adult group classes are a good way to get some tips when just starting out in a low pressure and social environment. It could be fun and motivating to start those sooner rather than later. Second, when starting a sport for the first time after never working out, you may not lose pounds on the scale as fast as you think - you are replacing fat with muscle and muscle weighs more. Maybe as a 'before' take some body measurements so you can see progress that way!

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
This is some pretty sound advice, as expected from this forum. I totally don't expect to loose 30 lbs in a month. In fact I've actually gained 2 lbs! Lol.
I get what you mean about non athletes jumping into intensive training. Now that I think about it, I hear about this frequently. Many fellow moms I know will enroll in these 6 week boot camp classes of intense exercise, loose some weight, be posting pictures of themselves with a few pounds off, then a few months later will complain about falling off the wagon when said course is over and enroll again.
I am more looking to that general recommendation of doing some exercise say 3 days a week. Something's I can make a lifestyle routine out of to start.
According to doctor, I am healthy. No thyroid problems or anything like that, as I have brought up the weight issue before.
I will look into some adult lessons sooner.
Rental skates are much heavier than figure skates then hey? Here I thought my ankles were just weak. :laugh2:
Thanks for the great advice. This forum really is so very neat!