So-Youn Park | Page 56 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I feel exactly the same way as you. IMO, I think she deserves higher Performance, Composition and Interpretation scores at the least in comparison to how certain skaters above her score skated (not gonna name any names but ya know who..)

With that said I do think her problem isn't also about motivation. It may also have rooted from the pressure that surrounds her (ie. KSU and also live up to her name especially from 2014 WC). Thankfully enough that she has Dabin and Nahyun to divide that so I hope she isn't too hard with herself in the next couple of months.

Exactly. When I see the protocol of Skate America, then it is clear that these components elements scores are lower than other's in comparison. I also think it is really strange that the scale of her skating skills' score was from 6.25 to 8.00 in her short program, which was then 'corrected' in the long and the gap wasn't this big. The other is the GOE, again in her short the 3Lz-3T got -1 to +2, or the underrotated 3Lo from -3 to 0. At least,in the LP the scoring was more consistent.

I can't imagine the pressure that surround skaters in Korea. Anyone who is capable of consistent performances there have nerves of steel! And So-Youn is definitely one of them.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
So Youn skates a clean SP and achieves a personal best of 64.89 at TdF!!

3S-3T, 3Lo and 2A all clean with positive GOE and she's getting closer to that 30 PCS point. I hope she does well in the FS!

sallycinnamon

Medalist
So Youn skates a clean SP and achieves a personal best of 64.89 at TdF!!

3S-3T, 3Lo and 2A all clean with positive GOE and she's getting closer to that 30 PCS point. I hope she does well in the FS!

I am so happy for her! Finally she got 60+ for her SP, and not just that but a personal best, too.
I cross my fingers for her tomorrow, if she can do well then she can finish the competition on 4th or 5th place which would be really good. Good luck, So-Youn!:agree:

Tallorder

On the Ice
Hope she is prepared for the onslaught of expectations. Will start at Four Continents in February, then the next 12 months for her will be pretty intense. It's an opportunity of a lifetime that is rare - skating at a home Olympics. Wishing her well on this journey.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
So Youn got 120.30 for her FS at Trophee de France, new PB and first time above 120 internationally even with a fall:love:

She didn't let that cursed ice hold her back! First time for her to score over 180! So proud of her

Last edited:

clippers8200

On the Ice
Wow that was great! Over 120 with a fall and an underrotated 3Lo. If she can skate cleanly and maybe put another 2A+3T or add her 3T to her 3S again, she'd get over 130 points!

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I'm so happy for So-Youn! Both SP and LP personal bests and on the top of that is also means new combined total PB, too. :hap10::yes2: She is better by each competition, and I can't stop mentioning how I love her lyrical, mature skating! Again she didn't lost her concentration after the mistake on the 3Lz which is the evidence that she is very competitive and has nerves of steel.
I just hope she continues to progress and will be consistent, too, and then everything will be fine.

Congratulations dear So-Youn. :cheer:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
My GIF Set for her TdF LP.

Comparing this to some of her past performances she seems to have gotten much better speed, the ice coverage looks pretty good too. I was about to vomit watching her skate through the puddle though, looks dangerous. When I was at Skate Canada they would squeegee any excess water with a giant broom.

The camera work was pretty bad, kept cutting all over the place for different angles. I couldn't get a proper gif of her Ina Bauer or most of ChSq because it kept cutting in awkward ways tsk tsk

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so happy for So-Youn! Both SP and LP personal bests and on the top of that is also means new combined total PB, too. :hap10::yes2: She is better by each competition, and I can't stop mentioning how I love her lyrical, mature skating! Again she didn't lost her concentration after the mistake on the 3Lz which is the evidence that she is very competitive and has nerves of steel.
I just hope she continues to progress and will be consistent, too, and then everything will be fine.

Congratulations dear So-Youn. :cheer:

She looked good today didn't she? I was at Sk Am and I feel like I could see the improvement from that performance to this one. Good for her!

clippers8200

On the Ice
Don't want to put too many expectations on her, but if she can get top 10 at worlds some how, it'd be so great for Dabin or Nahyun to also have a chance at PC.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Now if they could lay off with changing anything with this layout....
It's not the ideal TES scoring but she needs this familiarity to get the results. *cough*spots for the 2018 Olympics goddamnit*cough*

randomfan

Record Breaker
Don't want to put too many expectations on her, but if she can get top 10 at worlds some how, it'd be so great for Dabin or Nahyun to also have a chance at PC.

If that happened, I'd be like :party2:.

But at the same time, I really want So Youn, Da Bin, and Na Hyun to all go to PC. It would be a dream come true if the ISU suddenly made an Olympic loophole or something that allows the host country's skaters have an extra spot :biggrin:.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Terrific outing for So Youn at the latest GP, am so very pleased for her! Her PCS is even rising, FINALLY!!!!! All things considered... PCS still to break 60 in this field of inflated PCS, oh well...

She is looking prettier, maturer and more confident on ice compare just 2 years ago. Need that killer instinct. I still think undermarked in PCS, but improving consistency surely will help!!

Lovely lovely girl, wish she the best and still to hang on to the Korea top 2?.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So Youn in top 5! :yahoo: Great event for her! She'll even get money prize :cheer: Congrats, Korean princess :)

leminent

Rinkside
From today's interview:

•SY has been suffering from left foot injury since ranking competition. SY said she had been taking painkiller, but did not worked well at SA. For better efficacy, she stopped taking during practice , then took it at TDF only.

•SY changed her plan from 2A-3T to 3Lo-2T because of the injury mentioned above.

•Evgenia and a Japanese skater(Higuchi I guess?) hugged her after the free skate.

•SY was out of stamina at the free skate, but she finished the program with mental power.

leminent

Rinkside
The Korean Winter Festival Competition(where SY skated clean R&J) confirmed to be held on 16~18 January 2017. Harsh run for Soyoun.

Korean National is on 6~8 January, and Universiade is on the first week of Febuary, for your notice...