Sotnikova's win: what does it mean to young skaters aiming for the next Olympics? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sotnikova's win: what does it mean to young skaters aiming for the next Olympics?

jkun

Final Flight
It means: start frantically moving your feet and arms to fast music, jump jump jump, wave to audience

Oh, and don't worry about proper lutz edge or under rotations, as long as you skate for a strong skating fed. Actually, the JSF didn't help the Japanese with that.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
It mean that if you can deliver the technical goods you can do well.

But without mastery, artistry and quality? (which she was lacking IMO)
Delivering technical goods is not enough if a skater doesn't deliver them well.
Without artistry and good technique, figure skating will just be another jumping and spinning competition. Not very attractive.

NMURA

Medalist
Oh, and don't worry about proper lutz edge or under rotations, as long as you skate for a strong skating fed. Actually, the JSF didn't help the Japanese with that.

The JSF did mostly for Hanyu? Maybe they wanted Mao to stick around a little longer.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I think Adelina's win means that no matter what you do or how good you are, you can't win if you don't have people in the 'control room' backing you up.
Well, seeing how they screwed the biggest star right now, young skaters especially those who come from small countries without much figure skating history might think they have no chance in this sport.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Adelina's win means that no matter what you do or how good you are, you can't win if you don't have people in the 'control room' backing you up.
Well, seeing how they screwed the biggest star right now, young skaters especially those who come from small countries without much figure skating history might think they have no chance in this sport.

:disagree:What a negative over exaggeration. How did you get off of my ignore list. :bang:

Everettguy

Rinkside
Just keep in mind that the more "prowestern" short program judging panel basically tied the top 3, so I'm not so sure about the Russians bought the medal scenario. I do think though that the location / audience played a part in the results. As it does for home skaters anywhere the competition is located.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
:disagree:What a negative over exaggeration. How did you get off of my ignore list. :bang:

For a single post you don't agree with you're putting me in your ignore list? talk about close-mindedness
There was a question. I shared my opinion.

Do you think what happened now will inspire younger skaters from small countries? Do you really?

Must be hell of a party in your ignore list because I've seen people here who have different opinion as you and it's not like I'm trolling like what some people here do. Widen your horizon please.

ngfriend

Spectator
Adelina who??

Who da hell is Adelina anyways! Da chick is butch!!... Not marketable. Good luck getting sponsorships and commercials. Lol!!

Chamazing

Rinkside
why the hell these skater waste their time when judging in figure skating is fraud?

they should focus on different sport rather than these disgusting thing full of fraudulent result!!!

Remove this sport from Olympics!!! BS!!!

treeloving

Medalist
It means if So Yon Park or Kim Haejin or any other native skaters skate clean ,they will likely be on podium in 2018.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
It means if So Yon Park or Kim Haejin or any other native skaters skate clean ,they will likely be on podium in 2018.

They won't. They'd need two things they can't have:
1) the judging panel that consists 80% of South Asian judges equally to mainly East European judging panel they had for Ladies in Sochi;
2) "development" of scoring system in the direction that flatters home skaters. After Sara Huges won and CoP was developed, it was one of main issues about Ladies skating: to create the scoring system that would "prevent jumpy teens from winning" and promote "mature artists". COINCIDENTALLY right after Russia started to run out of mature artists, the issue about "inflated performance scores" was raised, performance scores were levelled with technical scores and jumpy teens brought back again.

Conclusions after Adelina won? CoP is the greatest fraud in figure skating history.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia

It might be negative but it's not exaggerated for one second. I live in a small country and I remember reading interviews with skaters. Before Solt Lake City, it was their overall belief about how things work.
After CoP was developed, there was a new hope for fair game and chance for smaller federations. Yuna Kim was actually the example to refer to. Sochi was a bitter revelation that nothing has changed. And, besides - I don't mind to be on an ignore list. This is where ISU has put small federations long ago and that's no problem because, truly :laugh: who needs figure skating?

alisha1908

Spectator
I have read a couple of pages of this topic and felt sick from your envy and hatred for Adelina :mad: She won deservedly, accept it! You don't care for Kim, the main reason for your anger it's defeat of American athletes. Remember, Russian girls aren't one day butterflies. They are here to stay!

kslr0816

On the Ice
I have read a couple of pages of this topic and felt sick from your envy and hatred for Adelina :mad: She won deservedly, accept it! You don't care for Kim, the main reason for your anger it's defeat of American athletes. Remember, Russian girls aren't one day butterflies. They are here to stay!

lolol

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unless things change with judging/scoring, Adelina's win bodes ill for the Russian baby ballerinas like Yulia and Elena. It will be payback time.