Speedy is a strange man - Article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Speedy is a strange man - Article

soogar

Record Breaker
Plush didn't get injured b/c he competed in the GP. He skated on numerous tours, competed in the cheesefest and didn't take care of his pre-existing injuries. That has nothing to do with requiring/requesting that skaters compete in the GP. Also the numerous quads that Plush has done in his career are catching up to him.

soogar said:
Also the numerous quads that Plush has done in his career are catching up to him.
I agree. I wish I could see a solution for this. But I can't. Teenagers think they will live forever, and they can't imagine the possibility of ever being injured or sick. So if they have the talent and the competitive spirit, they will go go go and the devil take the hindmost. Four years later we have Tara, or Yugudin, and now, apparently Plushenko.

Yet you can't tell them to slow down (in fact, you can't tell them anything), and the adults who advise and encourage them want to cash in on their protege's talent as quickly as possible, so I don't know what the solution is.

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think Speedy meant that an injured Plushy is better than most healthy skaters. Putting him out there out of his sick bed in his PJs would be a bigger draw than the other guys skating healthy.

There are some of us who love figure skating no matter who is skating. I just think Speedy was wrong to comment as he did. Plush is a great skater and should not be pushed in jest when he is ailing.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joe I was trying to give Speedy the benefit of the doubt (don't ask me why, LOL). I thought he meant it as a compliment to Plushy....a Plushenko is so great I'll take him anyway I can get him kind of thing.

soogar

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
There are some of us who love figure skating no matter who is skating. I just think Speedy was wrong to comment as he did. Plush is a great skater and should not be pushed in jest when he is ailing.

Joe

I think people are making way too much out of his comment. This is as bad as those threads regarding MK's joke on the Jay Leno show about learning how to check from her boyfriend Brad that was made in reference to Sasha brushing against her on the ice.

He probably made the comment b.c the men's competition was so bad without Plush that Plush probably would have won it in his PJs.

As for quads: People said the same thing about triples and how everyone was going to wind up a cripple if they did them. There were lots (and still is) injuries associated with doing triple jumps. Eventually the equipment evolved and the technique got better. The same thing will happen with the quad. It's a sport and you have to push. That's the whole point of being an athlete. Top athletes will always push themselves to jump higher, run faster etc.

Soogar, now I guess I don't understand your point about quads after all. In post 21 I thought you were expressing sympathy for Plushenko for having ruined his body doing too many quads. But in this last post you seem to be telling him, tough cookies.

soogar

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Soogar, now I guess I don't understand your point about quads after all. In post 21 I thought you were expressing sympathy for Plushenko for having ruined his body doing too many quads. But in this last post you seem to be telling him, tough cookies.

I wasn't really expressing sympathy (though I feel bad that he's injured, ticked that he didn't treat his injuries). That's the deal with doing a sport seriously and the best athletes in the world push themselves in all sports. Athletes are different from the everyday person in that they will push themselves through extreme pain. I was just reading a magazine article how when athletes finish with their sports, a lot of them become out of shape b/c they're not motivated to exercise if they can't push themselves to the brink (see old footbal players, Vitaly Scherbo). They're not content to just jog around the track etc.

The quad threshold has been crossed and there's no turning back. People thought the same thing about the 4 minute mile and how it can't be done and now that mark has been considerably lowered. Doing quads have probably ruined both Plush's and Klimkin's bodies, however that is what is needed to win. I don't know what the better choice is. I guess they could have saved themselves like MK and Eldredge by not doing quads 9 (or 3-3s) and having a longer career. Though I don't think Plush or Klimkin (or even Yagudin) could profit significantly from a longer career being that all the choice gigs will go to North Americans despite their achievements (that's another thread). However both MK and Eldredge lack the ultimate prize which is the OGM and that typically and rightfully goes to the skaters who push their bodies and rise to the occasion. Unlike Todd, Plush will be remembered for being a GREAT athlete who pushed the sport even if he doesn't win the OGM (though I want him to recover and win his OGM). To me and others, Todd might have a longer career and more money, but he's nowhere near an all time great.

Even without the quad, you're still going to see injuries in skating. I personally think that the new requirements for COP for spinning will injure a lot of backs. Triple jumps are still going to cause injuries to skaters as well. However the answer isn't to scale back the difficulty of the sport so athletes can have a longer career. If the sport gets too difficult, the athlete just has to quit and move on with life. At least in skating there are tours that some skaters will be lucky to be able to skate in. Other sports like gymnastics (esp rhythmic) are harsher and there are very few (if any) opportunities to make money performing the sport and coaching is the only viable option.

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
I'm not so sure that your example of the 4-minute mile is a good one given the reputation of track & field. This is an area of sports that proves to me that one should accept the limits of the human body. Those athletes are so riddled with steriod abuse problems to keep up and beat the old records that I don't think anyone knows what is really humanly possible anymore.

Also, how is rythmic gymnastics harder than the other? I kind of see rythmic gymnasts as the equivalent of Dance in skating. Ice Dance routinely has had the oldest competitors which tells me that it is easier on the body than the pounding taken doing singles and pairs.

soogar

Record Breaker
I meant harder in terms of after sport employment. Most rhythmic gymnasts leave the sport entirely (often going into ballet or Cirque du Soleil) b/c there are hardly any touring opportunities in RG.

Though RG is extremely hard on the body. The girls have to maintain a very low body weight and extreme flexibility.

mpal2

Final Flight
Ahh... I see now. I agree that there are a lot of sports that have very limited areas to continue in.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
knee injury

Mathman said:
I agree. I wish I could see a solution for this. But I can't. Teenagers think they will live forever, and they can't imagine the possibility of ever being injured or sick. So if they have the talent and the competitive spirit, they will go go go and the devil take the hindmost. Four years later we have Tara, or Yugudin, and now, apparently Plushenko.

Yet you can't tell them to slow down (in fact, you can't tell them anything), and the adults who advise and encourage them want to cash in on their protege's talent as quickly as possible, so I don't know what the solution is.

Mathman
You are so right. Everybody has known for years now that he needed knee surgery & he keeps putting it off. It always takes a toll on another part of your body to try & protect the initial injury. He should have had his surgery last year.

Linny

Final Flight
Boring?

I did not find the Men's competition boring without Plushy... in fact, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The field was wide open. None of us (except perhaps Joesitz) would have called that outcome. Really, wasn't it magnificant? Weren't you yelling at Roseleen's posts as they came through?
Linny

I don't think Michelle has to worry about a job after retiring from skating.

Figure Skating, in general, is a very elitist sport. To do well, a skater must have resources for a lot of money. Sasha, Tara, and some others were born into a lot of money and therefore did not have that problem. I'm not worried about them when retired. Todd had his entire village behind him. He is making money now but for how long and will it take care of him after SOI? I do feel for Ilia Klimkin but most skaters choose the life. C'est la vie!

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
MM

PS. Hi Kwanfordwife. Yes, Soogar is a contrarian :), but in this case I think she is right. I think Cinquanta's statement is intended to be a joke.

Mathman & Soogar:

It was a total & complete compliment! :)

Kwanford Wife