Spin positions we love and hate? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Spin positions we love and hate?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:love: spins by Alissa, Todd, Lucinda, Stephane (esp. his "headless spin"), Caroline Z's pearl, Denise Beilmann's "Beilmann," Angela N.'s layback

Hate the "butt" spin by anyone!

Slowdive

On the Ice
I think some Biellmanns are actually quite lovely. Radionova's double catchfoot layback and Biellmann position I forgot to include in my original list http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvgEAJan0nw&t=1m57s

As I mentioned, Biellmanns are just ugly when they look strained (ideally, both hands are around the blade and the back is arched with the head back).

I agree that the Biellmann can be both beautiful and ugly/strained.
Love the position and, especially, the speed of Nathalie Krieg's Biellmann!
http://youtu.be/qIKiU11ue9E?t=2m30s

Cherryy

On the Ice
Hate: Cannonballs and laybacks with low legs or the back almost straight (like Kostner's)
Love: Any stretched one. Doesn't matter if it's a classic layback, a camel, biellmann or any other position, I love it.
In particular I like the Y-spin, done by Mao or Alissa.

I also tried to think about the question, if there are some positions that disappeared after IJS and the only one I could think of is this kind of a sit spin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk&t=120s. That's because it would no longer be ratified as a sit, right? The leg has to be bent at 90 degrees. So we no longer see sit spins with straight back as it's so hard to have your back straight and bend the leg so much. Is this right?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ideally a sit spin has that but there are plenty of skaters (particularly men) who have sit spins that don't have the leg bent at 90 degrees. I think Kwan's sit would certainly be ratified.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have always been very fond of the pairs sit spin.

It used to be the pairs spin of choice back in the 80's, but you hardly see it nowadays.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I also tried to think about the question, if there are some positions that disappeared after IJS and the only one I could think of is this kind of a sit spin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk&t=120s. That's because it would no longer be ratified as a sit, right? The leg has to be bent at 90 degrees. So we no longer see sit spins with straight back as it's so hard to have your back straight and bend the leg so much. Is this right?
This would be ratified under the IJS as a sit spin, but it wouldn't be a level feature, because it's not a "difficult variation" of the sit position, that's why we don't see spins like this anymore...

This would be ratified under the IJS as a sit spin, but it wouldn't be a level feature, because it's not a "difficult variation" of the sit position, that's why we don't see spins like this anymore...

There seem to be so many things we used to like about figure skating, but we don't see them any more because they don't get enough points. I don't think the ISU understands why this is detrimental to the sport.

PftJump

On the Ice
I hate mushroom spin...Frankly I really hate all Upright Forward position spin.
Please DELETE the UF spin from Difficult variations List!!!

I love Lambiel's spins. He's incredible spinner.
and Love Yuna's Camel Upward spin.

I Hate CU spin that only HEAD UP. It Looks like shot by stun gun.

avalyn

Rinkside
I love laybacks that have the "attitude" leg position, a nice (but not too extreme) back arch, and arm positions that match the music. I also don't mind ones with the free leg down (like Michelle Kwan's and Zijun Li's) as long as there are other things to appreciate, like speed, arm positions, back arch, etc. Biellmanns done well can be nice, but I get tired of how common they are, how strained they can look, how they often don't match the music, and how the initial layback position is rushed through.

I don't know what it's called, but I like this spin position a lot. It reminds me of a Biellmann, only the shape it creates is a little different, it looks less strained, and it's often done at the end of a camel spin instead of a layback spin.

My favorite camel spin is when the torso is not sideways, but facing down towards the ice. It's also interesting when the torso is facing upwards -- looks hard! I don't know what these different camel spin positions are called either.

I like Y-spins a lot and prefer them to I-spins most of the time.

Also flying (or death drop?) sit spins. Takahiko Kozuka's timed to a dramatic part of his Exodus SP was great.

PftJump

On the Ice
I don't know what it's called, but I like this spin position a lot. It reminds me of a Biellmann, only the shape it creates is a little different, it looks less strained, and it's often done at the end of a camel spin instead of a layback spin.

It's called Half-Biellmann categorized "Camel" Forward spin. (Camel spin with belly button facing forward)
Biellmann(original) is in Upright Biellmann category.

My favorite camel spin is when the torso is not sideways, but facing down towards the ice. It's also interesting when the torso is facing upwards -- looks hard! I don't know what these different camel spin positions are called either.

For CAMEL POSITION there are 3 categories based on direction of the belly
button:
- (CF) Camel Forward: with belly button facing forward
- (CS) Camel Sideways: with belly button facing sideways
- (CU) Camel Upward: with belly button facing upward

these are diffecult variations of camel spins. No facing down, maybe they think it's easy.

avalyn

Rinkside
Thank you! :) It's good to know the more official terms. For the torso facing downwards one I said was my favorite, I had something like this in mind. I guess that's the basic/forward one...