Stamford 2022 Olympics?! | Golden Skate

Stamford 2022 Olympics?!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If only:laugh2:

It was pretty clear to me from the article that the broadcasting team would be broadcasting from Stamford, commenting on a live feed from Beijing, much like Mark Hanretty did for Worlds in 2021. But I like the Olympics in Connecticut better. :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that perhaps English is not your first language, because the article leaves absolutely no room for doubt at all.

Team USA will be competing in Beijing with everyone else.

NBC's commentators will be commentating from a setup in Stamford. It's very clear.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I was hoping this would mean commentary-free figure skating but I guess not. Hopefully they limit the chatter so we can appreciate the skaters bringing their music to life.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that perhaps English is not your first language, because the article leaves absolutely no room for doubt at all.

Team USA will be competing in Beijing with everyone else.

NBC's commentators will be commentating from a setup in Stamford. It's very clear.
This isn’t even super unusual. The 2016 gymnastics commenting team was remote from CT. Not the A team (commentating the prime time broadcast) but the B team (commentating the live feed).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have seen these news a few days ago... the point though is that usually NBC sends a team to cover the most "popular" sports INCLUDING figure skating, so they have a team at the games.
CBCs team has had many issues with how the Chinese government is conducting their testing leading to a lot of false positive for people who have had the diseases even more than 8 weeks ago... and are clearly no longer ill nor contagious... These employees were isolated in abandoned hotels etc... It's quite something really... and it doesn't look promising for the athletes. Some are asking the IOC to intervene so that tests are conducted by a neutral agency ...

So CBC also sent a memo to its employees : if you had covid since December, you are no longer going... NBC is just even stronger here... nobody is going at all anymore, even for figure skating.

Yes, it is common for events to have the commentators staying home and commenting the livestreams for many events like worlds, GP, etc but at the games, for figure skating, this is quite special.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I thought this was a reference to that episode of The Office where they hold an Office Olympics. (Stamford, CT is an important location in the show.) Disappointing. :(