Stavinski Kills One, Injures three in Drunk driving accident | Golden Skate

Stavinski Kills One, Injures three in Drunk driving accident

leode

Rinkside
Oh, terrible, I feel very sorry for him and victims.
And I pray the girl in coma and two injured person will be alive.:cry:

Last edited:
Isn't this under investigation for probable cause? I wouldn't point the finger at anyone until the results of the investigation are final.

Joe

Justlooking

Rinkside
The problem is that in some countries even if you not responsible for an accident, if you were drunk, you're considered guilty nevertheless.

Mafke

Medalist
The problem is that in some countries even if you not responsible for an accident, if you were drunk, you're considered guilty nevertheless.

I thought that was the case in most countries, including the US. Am I wrong? It's a terrible thing to happen and things don't look good for Staviiski if that report is accurate.

I've been on the black sea coast of Bulgaria and my impression was that this kind of thing is not rare there. A tourist center with thousands of bars of various kinds and poorly maintained, narrow, over-travelled roads (and a local driving culture that leans toward bravura displays). The local news (that I could read at least) was almost all traffic accidents...

Zanzibar

Final Flight
This reminds me a bit of that case in Ireland when Sarah Jessica Parker's husband Matthew (Ferris Bueller's Day Off star) was involved in a fatal car accident.

At the time he was a boyishly handsome young star, bound for success, charged with reckless driving that resulted in the death of another (2). He was in a foreign country (technically Max is Russian). I believe it may have also been at night.

Really sad. I like Max and this is a terrible tragedy.

Last edited:

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Drinking was not an issue in Matthew Broderick's accident.

edited to respond to the edit in the post above:

It was at night on a dark country road, it was raining, and Mr. Broderick was driving on the right side of the road (as is the law in the US where he is from) instead of the left, as is used in Wales, and he was cleared of all charges.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
What a tragedy!

1.2 promile is equivalent to 0.12% - illegal in all 50 states. And no industrial nation has a limit higher than that. And I am sure it took some time between when the accident occurred and the actual test was taken.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
When I interviewed them last year, Albena had this to say regarding Max's driving: "The laws are so much stricter in America, even the drivers have to be careful. Finally, Max had to slow down! Of course, he’s driving crazy again back here in Bulgaria and Russia, as if he’s trying to compensate for all that slow driving he had to endure last season,” added Denkova with a laugh."

I was reluctant to post this, but then found that the entire interview is on the forum of their official website, so if the case goes to trial, any decent attorney would find the quote anyway.

The title of this thread should be changed - it's rather unnecessarily harsh.

Last edited:

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I can't believe that you people are feeling sorry for this guy. I don't care if Staviiski is a famous skater or not....he was drunk, was driving a huge automobile and killed a person and seriously injured others. If it was your son he killed then you wouldn't be feeling sorry for him. People who drink and drive know they shouldn't do it. When I go out to a party I know what my limit is and don't drink if I know that I have to drive. Shame on you Staviiski!

Prayers to the victims.

emma

Record Breaker
I am so terribly sad to read this news. My thoughts go out to everyone involved.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I can't believe that you people are feeling sorry for this guy. I don't care if Staviiski is a famous skater or not....he was drunk, was driving a huge automobile and killed a person and seriously injured others. If it was your son he killed then you wouldn't be feeling sorry for him. People who drink and drive know they shouldn't do it. When I go out to a party I know what my limit is and don't drink if I know that I have to drive. Shame on you Staviiski!

I would imagine that most posters feel sorry for everyone involved in this - the victims that died, the ones who are injured, and Max. Not to mention Albena who is surely going through her own hell right now. It would probably be best to wait until the courts decide who is at fault before anything gets said in anger that can't be taken back. And, let he who has never, ever driven after one-too-many cast the first stone...

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
When I interviewed them last year, Albena had this to say regarding Max's driving: "The laws are so much stricter in America, even the drivers have to be careful. Finally, Max had to slow down! Of course, he’s driving crazy again back here in Bulgaria and Russia, as if he’s trying to compensate for all that slow driving he had to endure last season,” added Denkova with a laugh."
Zanzibar, first of all thank you for responding regarding how people on this thread feel. You are absolutely right, and I couldn't have said it better myself.

Secondly, this statement is interesting in and of itself. The laws in the US are actually more lax than in either Bulgaria or Russia. In most states, alcohol limit is either 0.8 or 1.0; in Bulgaria, it's 0.6. The laws regarding license suspension for certain non-alcohol related offenses are also stricter in Europe. What is different is how the laws are applied. Unfortunately, people in Russia (from I've heard it not too dissimilar in Bulgaria) are too used to slipping a bribe to the cop and getting away with anything (being careful about my wording here). This makes drivers feel as though the rules do not even exist for the protection of anyone; when I was in Russia a few years ago, I've had taxi drivers tell me I really didn't need to wear a seat belt, the cops weren't going to be that picky anyway (obviously, I was buckling up not for the sake of the driver but to have a slightly better chance of surviving in the not-too-unlikely even of an accident).

Also, the correlation between driving and the general state of the country came into focus for me this summer when I visited some former Yugoslavian countries. While people tend to drive reasonable in Slovenia and Croatia (both rather advanced economically and politically), it's a madhouse on the roads of Montenegro (a much less stable entity).

Last edited:

kittyjake5

On the Ice

Prayers to the victims.

I agree with you 100%. Every day someone is killed by a drunk driver and I speak from experience, it happened in my family. My sympathy is with the victims and their family.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And, let he who has never, ever driven after one-too-many cast the first stone...

Alright, here I am.

I don't care who you are, what you were doing, what time it was... if you drink don't drive. Even if you know your limits. Your limits one day could be completely different the next depending on what your body is going through.

Antilles

Medalist
Drunk and driving a tank. The other car didn't have a chance. I don't feel sorry for Staviski at all.

Mafke

Medalist
The kind of road he was on is, especially in august, _full_ of very large busses ferrying tourists between the Burgas airport and the hundreds of hotels along the black sea coast.

This could have had a very different ending.

Justlooking

Rinkside
SK8LUVR said:
If it was your son he killed then you wouldn't be feeling sorry for him.

But if it was your son who killed, you would be feeling sorry.

Drunk and driving a tank. The other car didn't have a chance. I don't feel sorry for Staviski at all.

Why don't you feel sorry for Staviski? Reading some of the comments, I feel like I'm blessed with an incredible gift, not only I am able to be sorry victims, but also for those who made them victims. He is human, he will suffer for the rest of his life, he will always have this accident on the back of his mind - yes, I do feel sorry for him.