Stick or Switch: Edeas? | Golden Skate

Stick or Switch: Edeas?

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Hi all!

I'm an adult skater (24F) who has been skating for about three years now (but I have realistically only been on the ice for about 1.5years due to the pandemic and other personal circumstances). I'm 5 foot 6, and weigh 60kg. I have quite narrow 'greek' type feet, with low arches, and also have some pretty extreme hammer head toe deformities on my little toes. I also have accessory navicular bones.

I was skating about 4-6hrs a week depending on work. Before the pandemic began I had literally just landed my axel. And by literally I mean I landed it a grand total of 3 times on my last session before the rink closed lol. I have all my other single jumps consistent.

I am more of a spinner naturally and have all three basic forward positions fast and consistent, plus quite a lot of variations (cannoball, broken leg, catch foot, layback etc etc). I have a strong backspin and was working on change foot sit and a back camel.

Now, onto the question...

I have only ever skated in one pair of boots: Edea Chorus (255C) with CoroAce blades. Overall I have been happy with them but they are not a perfect fit for me.

I have two issues with them:

1) Specifically on my left foot, my little toe experiences a lot of pain. I have to really loosen the bottom of the boot to ease up the pain, but I can never get rid of it.

2) The heel of the boot seems slightly too wide. Its fine at the start of a session but, towards the end, my heels begin to slip slightly. Consequently, I tie my boots more tightly, which exasperates issue (1).

My boots are beginning to break down and I am contemplating buying new ones and breaking them in now as my rink *should* finally be reopening in May. Since I've only ever had the one pair of skates I'm not sure on what I should be looking for or what would be best for me.

*(I am aware I will need to see a fitter. I am planning to in the next couple weeks when my fitter is allowed to reopen their shop. I would just like some suggestions/info before I go so I am a bit more knowledgeable about my choices😊.)*

Last edited by a moderator:

Claire_sk8s

Rinkside
So it sounds like your boots may be too narrow and too big. OR your feet just are not made for Edea's (and that's ok) If you look at your edeas you will see that the boot tapers and is narrower at the toe. This may be why you are experiencing that pain. Talk to your fitter about maybe getting wide boots. Another option is to go with Jackson's. Jackson's are not tapered towards the toe and are the same width throughout. This may be a better option for you because of the toe pain. Jackson's are also tighter around the ankles so that may be a better option considering the issues that you are having. But as always, talk to your fitter and coach and not some random person off the internet :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all!

I'm an adult skater (24F) who has been skating for about three years now (but I have realistically only been on the ice for about 1.5years due to the pandemic and other personal circumstances). I'm 5 foot 6, and weigh 60kg. I have quite narrow 'greek' type feet, with low arches, and also have some pretty extreme hammer head toe deformities on my little toes. I also have accessory navicular bones.

I was skating about 4-6hrs a week depending on work. Before the pandemic began I had literally just landed my axel. And by literally I mean I landed it a grand total of 3 times on my last session before the rink closed lol. I have all my other single jumps consistent.

I am more of a spinner naturally and have all three basic forward positions fast and consistent, plus quite a lot of variations (cannoball, broken leg, catch foot, layback etc etc). I have a strong backspin and was working on change foot sit and a back camel.

Now, onto the question...

I have only ever skated in one pair of boots: Edea Chorus (255C) with CoroAce blades. Overall I have been happy with them but they are not a perfect fit for me.

I have two issues with them:

1) Specifically on my left foot, my little toe experiences a lot of pain. I have to really loosen the bottom of the boot to ease up the pain, but I can never get rid of it.

2) The heel of the boot seems slightly too wide. Its fine at the start of a session but, towards the end, my heels begin to slip slightly. Consequently, I tie my boots more tightly, which exasperates issue (1).

My boots are beginning to break down and I am contemplating buying new ones and breaking them in now as my rink *should* finally be reopening in May. Since I've only ever had the one pair of skates I'm not sure on what I should be looking for or what would be best for me.

*(I am aware I will need to see a fitter. I am planning to in the next couple weeks when my fitter is allowed to reopen their shop. I would just like some suggestions/info before I go so I am a bit more knowledgeable about my choices😊.)*
Risport or Jackson for your needs and foot type. RF3 in Risport would be my top suggestion for you.