Still hard days coming to the champion | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Still hard days coming to the champion

feraina

Record Breaker
I find it odd that she's lonely: there's been a sizeableJapanese community just over the George Washington Bridge in Ft. Lee since I was a kid -- [dinosaur rumbling noises] -- not to mention a shopping mall (which might be in Edgewater). Not to mention the hundreds of colleges in the NY metro area.

But probably she's training a lot, and when she's done she's pretty exhausted to go window-shopping or socializing with strangers. Depends on your personality too. I feel bad for her though; this teenager doesn't sound all that happy. I hope the overall effect of this social isolation is to help her toughen up her mentality, and not breaking down her motivation! A thin line indeed.

Yes, but are the Japanese skaters celebrities here?
Well, yes, in the Japanese community - where I think it was being suggested she could hang out.

One thing that puzzles me though - I didn't see Japanese TV at the Hackensack event, yet one of our Japanese GS members has said it would air on TV this fall. Is that definite? If so, they were unusually unobtrusive last weekend.

:scratch:

So I guess nobody in America is lonely since we're all surrounded by people who speak our language(s), as well as shopping malls and colleges?
Loneliness has nothing to do with where your are. It's in your psychic. If you can contribute to the group environment, it will be picked up -- even silence. The group will reach out to you. But if you wallow in your lonliness then that's your problem.

Just my thoughts. Joe

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
She should move to Canada to train, Particularly the West Coast - Vancouver/Richmond. There is a large Asian community here. I am sure she would feel right at home.

silverfox

Rinkside
Well, yes, in the Japanese community - where I think it was being suggested she could hang out.

One thing that puzzles me though - I didn't see Japanese TV at the Hackensack event, yet one of our Japanese GS members has said it would air on TV this fall. Is that definite? If so, they were unusually unobtrusive last weekend.

There was at least one Japanese media team that was interviewing and videotaping the spectators. They also spent a lot of time taping Morosov. I think the show itself was taped by a different group.

The interviewers asked: who is your favorite skater, do you think Miki will win the WC again this season, what do you think of Miki's skating, etc.

Oh, I'm glad to hear that. Can't wait till it shows up on Youtube. I just hope they do less "chacking" than the networks.

Maybe this explains the inaudible (at least for my friends and me) skater interviews. We heard the interviewer speaking very loudly and slowly (that must have been for the benefit of the Japanese audience), but could hardly hear any of the skaters' responses. Hopefully the TV people got them.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Miki injured

Miki is injured.

I'm afraid that the information now coming in shows it's not the kind of injury that the skater gets found practicing in some other country, though I would really wish it were of such.

Miki has now a torn ligament in the inner side of her left knee, and also, she did her shoulder again!

I really hope that some of this information is exaggerated, but it's told that it happened 2 days ago, and that she can't walk at this moment.

The news was announced about 7 hours ago by the organizer of the "Dreams on Ice" show.
All of Miki, Mao, Mai, Aki were planned to appear along with other famous skaters but withdrew. (Aki Sawada twisted her ankle.)

It took several hours for me to convince myself that it's something real.

One of her fans insists that trying to fix her lip and falling while training must be the cause, but details aren't sure at this moment. We might know on Tuesday when the show is re-edited and televised.

Oh Miki, I hope that this is just my nightmare!

Last edited:

sorcerer

Final Flight
An update of the webnews over here few hours ago says that the doctor in the States told like Miki's knee injury will take more than 2 weeks to fully recover.

But in my poor knowledge, once you injure ligaments, it's hard to have it recover to it's full potential, like chuckm once said.

Maybe I shouln't have started this thread under such a predictive title. :cry:

Last edited:
Well, I remember that some 20 years ago the ballerina Darci Kistler, a teenager at the time, had a serious injury and a ballet critic I knew thought her career was essentially finished. Well, she's still dancing! So don't give up on Miki yet.

But right now she probably needs to rest and let nature do its work.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I've transferred the essences of the messages from Spun Silver, iluvtodd, Ladskater, as well as some others, to a board that Miki visits (and responds once in a long while when she's in Japan). I'm hoping that your warm hearts delight her.

It was fortunate that Miki's role in the Hackensack show came before the injury.
I am pretty sure of my guess that she played her second peformance of the show for her late father; I imagine it was her best and timely chance to make such a dedication thanking for the accomplishments that have come to her last season.
So I think for her it had to be "Hurt", whether she knew or not about Cohen's repertoire.
As someone wrote on the FSU board, 7th of July for Japanese children is the evening to make wishes upon the stars above, in association with the tale that two lovers by the envy of God separated as stars on each side of the Milky Way are given his permission to meet each other just only once every year on this single night.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker

So I guess nobody in America is lonely since we're all surrounded by people who speak our language(s), as well as shopping malls and colleges?

From the opening post:

She has no one around her to chat freely with. "I miss Japanese language."

There are plenty of people in close proximity who do speak Japanese, and I'm sure there are families who would be willing to make her feel at home, like the family in Detroit that "adopted" Shizuka Arakawa when she was training with Callahan. Especially as she recovers from injury and could use someone to talk to and make her feel as much at home as possible.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Miki is injured.

I'm afraid that the information now coming in shows it's not the kind of injury that the skater gets found practicing in some other country, though I would really wish it were of such.

Miki has now a torn ligament in the inner side of her left knee, and also, she did her shoulder again!

I really hope that some of this information is exaggerated, but it's told that it happened 2 days ago, and that she can't walk at this moment.

The news was announced about 7 hours ago by the organizer of the "Dreams on Ice" show.
All of Miki, Mao, Mai, Aki were planned to appear along with other famous skaters but withdrew. (Aki Sawada twisted her ankle.)

It took several hours for me to convince myself that it's something real.

One of her fans insists that trying to fix her lip and falling while training must be the cause, but details aren't sure at this moment. We might know on Tuesday when the show is re-edited and televised.

Oh Miki, I hope that this is just my nightmare!

I am so sorry to hear this - I do hope she recovers quickly and completely. Thanks for keeping us updated.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Miki's diagnosis on her knee was translated and reported here as laceration in the inner side ligament.
There might be differences in nuances made by the linguistic translations back and forth.
As far as I know, if it's a slight one, limitting the movements by elastic coverings are said to be usually done.
Since the recovery is reported to be prospected 2 weeks altogether, it can't be a severe laceration, but good care is needed lest you don't damage what's left.

JSF confirmed the skater on the 17th that she is getting better from the first status reported (to JSF) on the 12th, but that it still hurts for her.

It was on the news about 13 hours ago that Miki as well as Yukari Nakano won't be able to attend the event in Italy that Gio introduced to us.
Yukari has her school to attend at Waseda Univ.

On 22 of July in Courmayeur (Italy, Valle D'Aosta region on the French border, just northwest of Turin) a GREAT show will take place! Miki Ando, Mao and Mai Asada, Fumie Suguri, Yukari Nakano, Akiko Suzuki, Nobunari Oda and Daisuke Takahashi will take part of it. This is a part of a program, in fact they will train here from 19th to 23rd of July with an agreement made by the Japanese Fed. The morning of 22 of July the trainings will be open for the public.

GREAT :rock::clap:

I hope I'll have a chance to go!!! If I go I'll be your reporter!

Last edited:

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
I completely think that yeah the next season ahead is going to be hard for her because she needs to prove that she can not just get to the top but stay there as well. We'll see what the new season holds. But I do think that why she isn't very artistic at times is because of her not being able to select my music. I just stopped trusting my coach to get my music for me, I always say what I want and then she gets the music but a different version and f****s everything up so i'm going to be doing that myself from now on and I think that she should take control of her music and somewhat have a say on her choreography as well.