Stunning Michelle poolside pic | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stunning Michelle poolside pic

Mathman said:
Yes, Michelle was too skinny in 2002. JMO.
MM - Balanchine would never accept anyone for the NYC Ballet who had extra pounds on. One would have to, at least, look anorexic. But that was only part of it. He also demanded short torsos and long legs - nothing to do with height of the dancer. One could be short but the head to waist measurements had to be shorter than the waist to feet.

Funny, in figure skating I see more of the Men with those NYC Ballet qualifications than the Ladies: Evgeni, Johnny, Evan, Eman, Jamal, Todd, and yes, Tim, too. All have long legs and short torsos.

Joe

gezando

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
MM - Balanchine would never accept anyone for the NYC Ballet who had extra pounds on. One would have to, at least, look anorexic.
How may dancers are anorexic? Thank god skating is still a sport, and hopefully most coaches don't put that requirement on their students. Hopefully skating parents don't do that to their daughters

Interesting, Joe. You are certainly right that most lady figure skaters (including Michelle) have long torsos and short legs. I wonder if that body type gives them some kind of advantage in jumping, even as it may be a disadvantage in ballet. Or maybe a lower center of gravity helps you hold an edge. Maria Butryskaya and Lucinda Ruh are the only two long-legged lady skaters that come to mind.

I did think that leading up to the 2002 Olympics Michelle looked too frail in the upper body. I remember the discussions the following year about whether it was a good idea or not for her to include weight training in her regimen to increase upper body strength. In 2003 she seemed to me to be at her peak of physical confidence and explosive power.

On the men's side, I really like Evan Lysacek's long and gangly song-and-dance man look.

Mathman

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Mathman said:
Maria Butryskaya and Lucinda Ruh are the only two long-legged lady skaters that come to mind.
Rory Burghart has probably the longest pair of legs, and shortest upper torso of any skater, and she does backflips.

jesslily

Final Flight
Maria likes to wear boot cover tights, and also most of her panties cut high, like Russian ladies' skating dresses which make her look like she has long legs. But Maria's jumsp are not very flowing and smooth. Lucinda Ruh does have long legs, and great spins, but she is not a great jumper.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Are you serious?

jesslily said:
If Michelle has that body shape now, 3loop and salcow should be very easy for her and always landed in the long, and her overall appearance on the ice will be much more lovely.

I sincerely hope you limit your constant narrative about weight to Michelle Kwan and not subject your child to "See! If you'd lose three pounds you'd land that salcow!" :disapp:

John King

Final Flight
Michelle's Hockey career

Mathman,that is the loveliest hockey uniform I have ever seen on a player!

Eeyora

Final Flight
Well considering it's the same costume she wore in SLC. She hasn't gained that much weight.