Suggestions for entry level skates/blades | Golden Skate

Suggestions for entry level skates/blades

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I know we already have a thread started about who makes the best high end skate boots and blades... but I'm a beginner and I definitely don’t need that much out of a skate right? I purchased some vinyl skates off of the internet that weren’t reinforced or lined so they didn’t have any ankle support... but I have noticed that some of the top names have inexpensive "recreational" skates and then there is also a group called "entry level".

Here is an example of a recreational skate by reidell http://skate-buys.com/ri110layerif.html

And here is an entry level http://skate-buys.com/ri112whrilaf.html

There is hardly any difference in price, and they look the exact same to me... will one skate perform differently than the other?

Basically I am looking for advice on what type of skate to buy if I just want to skate comfortably around the rink and learn to stroke or use the edges.... Should I purchase a 45-60 skate with blade package... or should I take the next step up to the 100 skates???

Help!!! I don’t understand much about skates.
Thanks!!

Last edited:

megsk8z

On the Ice
If you are going to go Riedell, I wouldn't go with less than the 121 series. They're probably a little more than $100US, but they are good for a beginning skater as they offer some support without overbooting (and thereby bringing the possibility of ankle injury when you do fall.......because you know you will, that's skating).

If you decide you really like to skate, then you could take the skates up a notch or 2, but when you buy skates, you get what you pay for and if you buy the cheap ones, you will get no support at all. The standing joke is "pay for relatively decent skates when you are learning to skate or pay your orthopedic surgeon later." Stay away from just about any skate that says it's "recreational." What that translates to is "pond skating" in the winter outdoors and those boots and blades just aren't made for much of anything else. Stay away from any skates that only come in whole sizes and don't offer 1/2 sizes because (like pantyhose) they are basically "one size fits none."

Jackson makes a couple of fairly decent entry level skates that are a step above pond skates, too. If you have more specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer them. I work in the pro shop of a skating rink and do a lot of fitting for beginning skaters.

skatepixie

On the Ice
My advice...dont buy anything labled entry level. Period.

PSA or Silver medallion is good. My 1st skates were gold medallions...

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I have been looking on ebay for the past few days to see if they have any gently used skates... but since I dont know really what to look for, I was hoping you guys could give me some advice.

Here is one I'm considering
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21227&item=3681402875&rd=1

Here is another
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21227&item=3681829161&rd=1

And another
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21227&item=3680533373&rd=1

Any feedback yall have on these skates would be much appreciated.

skatepixie

On the Ice
First Pair~Look floppy and have a very poor blade.

Second Pair~I think they would be too stiff for you.

Third Pair~I dont know enough to comment.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Liz: My pro has a saying: When you buy used skates, you inherit the previous owner's problems. I skated for 3 years in used skates that felt fine at the time, but Bill Klingbeil pointed out there were a half size too big, not correct for my foot with an ankle cut too high. I've done much better in my Klingbeil's.

For anyone who cares to know: I bought the boots before I started private lessons.

Liz: In all honesty, I'd suggest you start with a good but NEW basic boot. A Reidell or Jackson--talk to a reilable pro. He or she will get you started on the right foot (er, boot!!!)

Unlike Pix, I won't judge the boots by photos. I really think you should see a pro in a skate shop (or maybe more than one) and get some advice before you consider buying a used pair.

luenatic

On the Ice
Liz, I completely agree with Yazmeen. You may want to get some prefessional help to determine what is good for you. You need blades that will fit your boots. Also, you need blades that are right for your level of skating.

Talk to the management of your ice rink and ask for the names of the blade/boot pro. Call the skate pro and talk to him/her. In my case, my skate pro will give free advices to anyone who asked. You'll be surprised what you learned from just talking to the pro. Another bonus: skate pro usually has loads of used blades/boots. You'll have a much better chance to find a good pairs of boots/blade in a very good price.

Good luck!