Sumiyoshi and the quad toe | Golden Skate

Sumiyoshi and the quad toe

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The 19-year-old fell on an attempted a quad toe in her free skate to “Enchantress” and underrotated the back end of a triple flip-triple toe, stepped out of a triple flip, and turned out the landing of a triple Salchow, but showed level-four spins and footwork. She finished third in the free skate (130.24) and overall (194.34).
“The skate wasn’t my best, but I was able really able to enjoy this competition and I am happy I got third place,” said Sumiyoshi. “I started practicing the quad to last summer, and at that point my success rate was not very good. This year, I was really able to elevate my success rate is about half in terms of landing or stepping out.”

I can certainly understand her wanting to up her game given how many talented women are in Japan. I just wonder if now is the time to use it. How do you think she would fair if she excluded it from her routine altogether? For instance at Nationals, and if everyone skated their current layout clean?

readernick

Medalist
I think it's actually a beautiful jump and she fully rotates it. She needs to learn to control the landing in competition.

I think it makes sense to exclude a difficult jump if doing so helps you skate clean. But, Rion has never been consistent so I don't think excluding the quad will necessarily ensure she gets better scores domestically or internationally.In this case, I think the possible reward might be bigger than the risk.

Last edited:

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I counted Rion attempted 4T at least 11 competitions (3 international, 8 domestic) from November 2021.
So she meant "last summer" was 2021 summer.

This is first one recognized as fully rotated from technical panel.
She said to her coach "rotated and yet".

Last edited: