Summer Vacation plans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Summer Vacation plans

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
OK, my husband and I went in the early 80's. I don't remember what was on what island. We really had a ball. Oahu was our least favorite. Too many people and traffic. But we did like the Polynesian cultural center, things like that. The flea market is so funny. One booth had watches for $3 and watches with hands $5! :rofl: And of course, we had to go the jewelry wholesale office.
It was in the 80's most of the time we were there. This was sometime between January and March. Probably mostly in Feb. Of course, I loved the flowers everywhere, the scenery and although one of the brochures said there were no snakes, they have tree snakes. Luckily I never saw any but was a little jumpy when the little lizards were on the walls of the restaurants. I guess that's just normal there. There are the volcanoes, rains that didn't really last that long,
beaches, etc. Took a boat to a grotto where a lot of people get married. Be prepared for really bad singers manning the boats. :rofl: We saw 4 islands in
3 1/2 weeks. I loved it there, my husband didn't. He did not like humidity at all. Take a light sweater for evenings. It is cool. Make sure you get a car with air conditioning. Never found a really good restaurant. I think there are a lot more there now. If you want somewhere cool, try Colorado Rockies. Or even better, Canadian Rockies. Beautiful. Hope you find somewhere you love and have a great time.
I'm hoping one of these times to visit my cousin in Los Gatos. Last time we were there, she took us on a drive up past Peggy Flemings house, just didn't know which one was hers. The only way we got to go that way was because at the time my cousin was a realtor, although no one was at the gate. Huge expensive places.

Lcp88

On the Ice
I actually am going to Alaska at the end of July - Juneau, Ketchikan (I'm sure I butchered the spelling of that :laugh: ), another town whose name escapes me at the moment, and then Victoria, B.C. It's a cruise, and I'm pretty excited about it.
I hear the tempurature stays around 65 degrees, which is absolutely perfect for me. I can't stand heat, so some place like Hawaii would be totally out.

Laura
(Yea, first post in a loooooooooooooonnggg time :p )

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Good to see you back, Laura.

I hope you have it on your list to see Bouchart Gardens at Victoria, B. C. It's the most gorgeous gardens I have seen. And I've seen a lot but not Calaway Gardens. One of the places I have always wanted to go but doubt I ever make it now. It was a limestone quarry. If I remember correctly, Most of the homes were victorian looking. Really cute little town. We took the ferry from Port Angeles. The kids were thrilled with a ferry ride. They were also fascinated with the "foreigners", especially the ones that used the wrong hand when they cut their meat, etc.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Alaska/Hawaii

show 42 said:
Now, now, dlk and Toni.........she can split the difference and go on an Alaskan cruise and then cruise to Hawaii!!! :laugh: 42

Show's got the right idea here. :rock: I took an end of season Inside Passage cruise to Alaska (September 2002). As we were debarking in Vancouver, I could see the fresh tropical flowers on the pier waiting to be loaded, as our ship was leaving that day for Hawaii. Oh, how I wanted to stay on!

Laura, you did spell Ketchikan correctly. Pat yourself on the back, LOL. It sounds like you're doing the Inside Passage, like I did. If so, the other town you're going to might be Skagway or Haines. Do you know if you're going to Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay? It's a great trip. Have fun!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lcp88 said:
I actually am going to Alaska at the end of July - Juneau, Ketchikan (I'm sure I butchered the spelling of that :laugh: ), another town whose name escapes me at the moment, and then Victoria, B.C. It's a cruise, and I'm pretty excited about it.
I hear the tempurature stays around 65 degrees, which is absolutely perfect for me. I can't stand heat, so some place like Hawaii would be totally out.

Laura
(Yea, first post in a loooooooooooooonnggg time :p )

*sigh* WRONG part of Alaska... lol I'm across the water from where you'll be *pouts* still the weather should be great. It might get a little hotter (we're having record temps right now) but since you're on the water and heading towards glaciers it'll probably stay nice and cool. Be sure to pack lots of sunblock, sun burns happen up here too! ;)

wb, Laura!!!

Figureskates

On the Ice
Going to Lake Placid in August for 10 days, part of the time attending the skating program.

I am not a fan of heat and humidity either. Adirondacks are in the low 80s during the day but drop to the mid 30s to low 40s at nite and no humidity!!

I spent 3 months in Hawaii in the summer of 1964. Hit all the islands and did a lot of surfing on the big Island, though the waves aren't as big in the summer months. It was during the time you could see Diamond Head from the Royal Hawaiian since many of the highrises were not there yet.

The tour of the Pearl Harbor memorial was a highlight since at that time, it was only 23 years after the event.