Tatsuki Machida: 2 years of retirement | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida: 2 years of retirement

ioanna

Record Breaker
I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread for this or not, but I decided it deserved one since there are posters who don't read every fan fest thread.

Tatsuki Machida retired on December 28, 2014 after failing to make the podium at the National Championships. He came back in the spring of 2015 starting his next chapter of his career, that of a professional skater and choreographer. Despite his status, he considers himself "a simple student" and has asked his fans not to buy gifts for him anymore as he is pleased and satisfied with receiving their support and love only. He also cut ties with the media and hasn't been heard speaking in an interview ever since. However, he launched an official website where he is free to write whenever and whatever he chooses.

He is currently in his second and final year of his Sport Management Studies graduate school at the Waseda University and is expected to graduate in March. He was by no means a child prodigy; he bloomed in his last couple of seasons of competition and found his signature skating style, often called by the Japanese "Machida's world". He was recently invited at Japan Open / Carnival On Ice 2016 where he skated 2 self-choreographed programs, one of which caught the attention of the crowd, judges and some of the competitors, who gave him a standing ovation. He explained his choice of music and way to perform it:

Up until now, there have been almost no figure skating programs set to the trumpet. If I could add something to that [live] session which transcended genre with the bodily expressions of figure skating, how wonderful would that be?

When the clear tones of the trumpet, which almost seem to pour down from the Heavens, combine with the flowing traces drawn into the ice while skating, it gives birth to an unexpected rich and abundant collaboration between music and skating.

This is the first time I’ve created a program without including any jumps. With “Ave Maria” played by the trumpet and the ice stained a deep madonna blue, one no longer feels the need to introduce jumps. By focusing the technique on the timbre and long tones [of the trumpet], it goes beyond the technical and reaches the level of meditation. This program, in which I attempt to present one direction of patinage artistique (French expression meaning “artistic skating”), a figure skating that is not bound by existing rules or value systems, is a small prayer that I offer to the figure skating world of the future.

*full translation here

The program was not included in the original broadcast of Japan Open, but it was aired on BS Japan earlier today.

TATSUKI MACHIDA - AVE MARIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSzLJkXmuxY

Other programs choreographed by Machida

Missing You / Anata ni Aitakute by Seiko Matsuda (Carnival On Ice 2016)
The Inheritor / Impromptu Op.90 No.3 by Franz Schubert (Prince Ice World 2015)
East Of Eden: Celebration (Medalists On Ice 2014) - original choreography by Phillip Mills, EX version altered by Machida
Je Te Veux by Erik Satie (Prince Ice World 2014)
Byakuyako / OST from the Japanese series Byakuyako (Medalists On Ice 2013)

*all programs in HQ with no commentary

In his latest post on his official website, he said he will continue his professional skating career.

LeReveur

On the Ice
I don't remember liking any of Tatsuki's programs when he competed. In fact, I thought that in spite of his apparent passion and effort, his movement didn't fit the music.

Out of curiosity for what "Je Te Veux" was, I clicked that linked and found the program to be exceptional. Thank you for sharing!

ioanna

Record Breaker
Thanks for checking it out! It's the reason why I started a thread in The Edge. More opinions and discussions are encouraged since many people have posted about him in other threads but just watching the program(s) is also great. :)

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
When Tatsuki retired after Nationals, I fancied the thought of him randomly coming back for Pyeongchang. I'm still in denial about his retirement lol :(. But seeing Tatsuki skate is always absolutely delightful! And I find it to be absolutely groovy news that he will continue his professional skating career! Thank you for sharing his new and recent programs!

ioanna

Record Breaker
His artistry was always debatable. For me he is one of the most graceful skaters I've ever seen.

I'll add to the collection the FS from SA 2014. And one of his most glorious movements (really, it seems like he has no weight)

Thanks. Yes, his skating style was subject to many debates; it's almost like there's no in between, you either love it or you hate it. However, when I watched the Ave Maria video, the audience started reacting from the moment the announcer started to say that he's known as the "philosopher on ice"; they already knew who was next. The cheering and applause during his dramatic entrance (something only he is capable to pull off :laugh:), the program and the bows - there's no doubt he has become a loved and respected artist through his skating alone.

About the Symphony no.9 FS, I will always be sad he never got to skate it to its full potential.

Last edited:

Sand

Spectator
I was wondering what Machida is doing right now and his news. And that made me register this site.Thank you so much for the detail.
I already watched his new programs but didn't know it was made by himself.
So happy to his skating. Smooth and deeply emotional . Thank you so much and happy to find his lateset news I'm not good at English and Japanese neither though.