Technical question re: pair Kawaguchi/Smirnov | Golden Skate

Technical question re: pair Kawaguchi/Smirnov

rain

Record Breaker
I hope someone can answer a question for me regarding Kawaguchi and Smirnov's death spirals.

No secret that the death spiral is not as fast or beautiful as it used to be, what with the quest for points, but I really noticed with the above-mentioned pair, in both the short and long programs that, after slowing to almost a stop at the end of the move, Kawaguchi reaches out her hand and uses Smirnov's leg/ankle to push herself back to her feet.

Is this legal? Is there a deduction? It would seem to me to be an indication of an inability to successfully complete the move.

As a side note, Kawaguchi really needs to learn to point her toes. It stuck out on almost all of their lifts.

^^^

It can't be legal, but Callers and Judges don't catch everything. Best we can do it bring it out into the open and shout when the next comp is on.

BTW, she has to learn how to present her body and arms when he lifts her. The guy is good and she should compare with him.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I can't say that I noticed that, however, he is very tall and she is very petite. I am not crazy about this duo. It is the first time I have seem them skate. I did not like their program - especially her positions in the lifts. It probably is not a very graceful exit for the death spiral. I would suggest this couple study the death spiral execution of Underhill/Martini - their death spiral was exquisite.

emma

Record Breaker
I loved this team the first time I saw them about 2 years ago thinking they had tons of potential....unfortunately, haven't seen that potential but have seen lot's of lack of toe point, strange positions, unflattering line and sadly too, mistakes. I really hope they do do well, especially since she has consistently had to overcome injury...

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I would suggest this couple study the death spiral execution of Underhill/Martini - their death spiral was exquisite.
Yes it was; and yet it would garner very few points nowadays. While I generally like CoP, I think death spiral is one element that has certainly suffered... The most beautiful spirals now come from the lower placing teams that don't care quite as much about points.

gsrossano

Final Flight
As is so often the case, the rules are ambiguous/incomplete on this point. The rules do not say what the lady can do when exiting her position, but in describing the lady's position the rules do say,

" ... however she must not touch the ice with her head or assist herself with the free hand or any part of the body."

I would take that to include the lady using her free hand on the man's leg/foot to assist her getting out of position and back up on her feet.

The guidelines for GoEs have under death spirals "Lady assisted by anything other than the blades" a reduction in GoE of -2 or -3, and GoE must be negative.

I would take that to mean if I noticed it I should reduce the GoE as required by the guidelines, but the Technical Panel would still call it as a valid element.

-- added after talking to some other judges --

Some other judges said they would take the weak exit GoE deduction for this cheat in the death spiral.

Last edited: