Terrible Eurosport UK coverage of skating! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Terrible Eurosport UK coverage of skating!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
which fan needs commentators?
There are countless people on this forum alone who seek out different commentaries and even ask for translations of those in languages they can't understand.

We all know who is who on ice and figure out that this is a loop jump and that a Salchow, and we know the basic rules.
I couldn't tell two jumps apart if my life depended on it and I know next to nothing about the rules in ice dance. To people like me it would actually be quite helpful to get some details about technical elements.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Actually, they changed the schedule of Eurosport 1 on Sunday: figure skating (ladies and pairs from Skate Canada) instead of snooker - what a surprise! ... I missed most of it though because the guide was not updated and so noticed it only by coincidence.

Just to explain what happened. Ding Junhui only won one frame in the first session of the snooker final. So, come the second session, Mark Selby was able to come out and quickly kill off the match, winning the 2 frames he required in the space of 40 minutes.

That left a huge hole in the Eurosport 1 schedule. So, showing figure skating was one of the ways they filled it.

It was nice of them to do it but, as you said, they are too slow to update the EPG listings (as always). So, a lot of people didn't know.

CaroLiza_fan

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I'm simply grateful for any coverage whatsoever. I remember pre-Eurosport days when the only skating I'd see in Ireland were the highlights on British TV which might consist of the free skate of just the medallists in each event. There'd certainly be nothing shown on Irish TV and these were pre-internet days so when Eurosport came along, it was sheer heaven and I loved getting to know all the skaters and seeing their development from early days to potentially medal winning days. And when they started showing the GP season, I was beyond delighted!

So, yes, it is a pain when the coverage is limited to certain disciplines with bare highlights of other important moments but I have to seize the positives of getting to see ANY of what is indeed a niche sport, especially here in Ireland. And besides, the commentary, especially when it's Chris Howarth is pretty much a gold standard for commentating, (notwithstanding the continued mangling of certain skaters' names!). And, also on the bright side, looks like we're getting pretty comprehensive coverage of the Rostelecom Cup!

SamuraiKike

Medalist
It's always been that way with SA and SC, their coverage is limited compared to the other events.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I agree with the previous poster, the coverage of NA GP's is always a little limited due to the time difference. I am currently making my way through their COR coverage and I am really enjoying it so far. I like the new lady they have, I have no idea who she is but she comes across knowledgeable and informed. I wonder will we hear from Nicky this season?.

Even if their coverage is, at times, far from ideal, I am still glad to get some coverage of FS. This years Europeans are going to clash with the African Cup of Nations, so I am not optimistic of great coverage then.

aynia

On the Ice
Just to explain what happened. Ding Junhui only won one frame in the first session of the snooker final. So, come the second session, Mark Selby was able to come out and quickly kill off the match, winning the 2 frames he required in the space of 40 minutes.

That left a huge hole in the Eurosport 1 schedule. So, showing figure skating was one of the ways they filled it.

It was nice of them to do it but, as you said, they are too slow to update the EPG listings (as always). So, a lot of people didn't know.

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Last edited: