Testing Procedures | Golden Skate

Testing Procedures

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi everyone. I am testing in a few weeks and I am trying to find some information about the rules and procedures during the test. I have so many questions and I don't want to bombard my coach with all of them (and take up expensive lesson time asking him questions instead of skating :)) so is there a resource online that you know of that will describe what happens during the sessions? Some of the information I'd like to know is...Do you speak directly to the judges? If so, do you speak to them just at the beginning or just at the end or after each move? How do you know when they are ready for you to skate each move (will they put their hand in the air or will they say something to let you know they're ready to watch your next move or maybe they'll nod their head)? How do you know when it's your turn to skate? I know they will give me a specific time but I've heard the sessions can often run ahead of schedule. Will I have the whole ice to myself? These are a few examples of the questions I have. I know I may be able to figure all this out when I get there but I think it would put my nerves somewhat at ease if I know ahead of time what to expect. Thank you.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
These are the questions that you should ask your coach because it is their job to guide you through what to expect on test sessions!
And the answers can vary depending the Moves test levels being taken. Just briefly:

- Your Test Chairperson will have made up skating order, so you'll know when it's your turn.
- If this is a low level test, there can be 2 skaters on the ice at a time; one starting at each end.
- The judges may call you over at the beginning, before you start your first move, encourage you, and hopefully give a sense of calm.
- It's been MY experience that I am expected to know the order of the moves. When I finish the first one, I skate over to where I start my second move and WAIT for a judge to put up their hand, signaling me that they are ready for me to start my next move.
But I've watched some tests where the skater has actually gone back to their coach in-between moves.

So yes, you want to discuss the procedures at your rink with your coach. And lots of skaters post videos to YouTube so you can lookup the test you'll be trying and get a sense of what to expect.
Remember, for 10 minutes you'll have nice ice and won't have to worry about crashing into anyone else. Good luck!

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
These are the questions that you should ask your coach because it is their job to guide you through what to expect on test sessions!
And the answers can vary depending the Moves test levels being taken. Just briefly:

- Your Test Chairperson will have made up skating order, so you'll know when it's your turn.
- If this is a low level test, there can be 2 skaters on the ice at a time; one starting at each end.
- The judges may call you over at the beginning, before you start your first move, encourage you, and hopefully give a sense of calm.
- It's been MY experience that I am expected to know the order of the moves. When I finish the first one, I skate over to where I start my second move and WAIT for a judge to put up their hand, signaling me that they are ready for me to start my next move.
But I've watched some tests where the skater has actually gone back to their coach in-between moves.

So yes, you want to discuss the procedures at your rink with your coach. And lots of skaters post videos to YouTube so you can lookup the test you'll be trying and get a sense of what to expect.
Remember, for 10 minutes you'll have nice ice and won't have to worry about crashing into anyone else. Good luck!
Thank you, you've answered so many of my questions that I have but I will ask my coach too when it gets closer to time. Yes, those 10 minutes of empty ice (or nearly empty because it is a low level test so I'll probably have another skater with me) will be great not having to worry about crashing into anybody! Thanks again.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Also @AmalieWaltz - if your coach hasn't mentioned it, you'll (likely) pay them for their time at the test session. Mine have charged the price of one 1/2 hour lesson but you should ask that question too.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Or 3...For Pre-Pre Freeskate mine shared with two others, one at each end and one in the center. Neither she, or her coach were prepared for that, two is common. Passed easily, but it was a surprise, which you never want on a test day!

Mine is now getting set to submit a video under the new testing protocols since test sessions are very rare around here now.

Judges are great, we always bring the bribes...um, snacks for them. 2 boxes of See's chocolates, hasn't failed yet. Interesting thing (for me anyway) when I was watching the U.S. Nationals recently they were introducing the judges and a couple of names were familiar. Sure enough I went back to her test sheets and one of the judges (technical referee) has been a judge on every single one of her FS and MITF tests.

Make sure you get a photo of your results, you don't get to keep them.

Good luck.

Last edited:

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Or 3...For Pre-Pre Freeskate mine shared with two others, one at each end and one in the center. Neither she, or her coach were prepared for that, two is common. Passed easily, but it was a surprise, which you never want on a test day!

Mine is now getting set to submit a video under the new testing protocols since test sessions are very rare around here now.

Judges are great, we always bring the bribes...um, snacks for them. 2 boxes of See's chocolates, hasn't failed yet. Interesting thing (for me anyway) when I was watching the U.S. Nationals recently they were introducing the judges and a couple of names were familiar. Sure enough I went back to her test sheets and one of the judges (technical referee) has been a judge on every single one of her FS and MITF tests.

Make sure you get a photo of your results, you don't get to keep them.

Good luck.
"Bribes", lol, I can certainly bring some boxes of See's chocolates! 3 people on the ice...I'm glad you gave me a heads up about that possibility, I definitely would not have expected that many at one time. That is really interesting about the Nationals judge! I'll definitely take a picture of my test, I want to have documentation, especially if I pass! Thank you.

Sibelius

On the Ice
That's never been the case for me? Regional differences maybe?
Maybe. We get some time to look at them, photo them, then they go in the blue box. Do you get a copy from the judges? I wish we did, my photos are AWFUL, and reading the comments is hard.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Maybe. We get some time to look at them, photo them, then they go in the blue box. Do you get a copy from the judges? I wish we did, my photos are AWFUL, and reading the comments is hard.
Yep. We get to keep a copy of the papers. The original stays with the test chair from the rink. That sucks that you can't keep them.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Yep. We get to keep a copy of the papers. The original stays with the test chair from the rink. That sucks that you can't keep them.
Sadly we're probably a bit behind technologically, maybe a third box of chocolates, one each!

I do wonder how we'll get results from a video submission, we'll find out soon.