Thanks for the memories... Farewell to favorite skaters. | Golden Skate

Thanks for the memories... Farewell to favorite skaters.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
I was going to go write on several different "fan fest" pages to express my appreciation to certain skaters who are likely retiring or have recently retired this season, such as Mao, Yuna, Nobunari Oda, Miki Ando, Jeremy, Daisuke, Plushenko, Joubert, Davis&White, etc. However, I thought we could have a thread where people could write their farewells and gratitude either to or about skaters that they want to recognize. If there is one of your favorite skaters retiring, express just what that skater has meant to you over the years. I will write mine as well in the comments. There are so many moving on, it makes me quite sad. I can't wait to hear your heartfelt farewells and favorite memories. Goodbyes are always hard, and this is the end of an era.

P.S. Please no hate or arguing in this thread - let's appreciate the good times. :)

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Plushenko,

I was not a follower of figure skating during most of your career, but what I have seen and what I have gone back to watch has been incredible. Your endurance and your fighting spirit are to be admired. It's mind-blowing to me that you could go to Sochi and skate so well in the team event, twelve whole years after your first Olympics. You've trained and worked so hard, and it has shown. You left your mark on the sport, and you are destined for skating immortality. A true legend.

I wish you all the best.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
I may not be able to be on the forum much after this, but I can't leave without writing one more post about Daisuke Takahashi.

While Daisuke, to my knowledge, hasn't yet said the official words "I'm retiring," I think that it is inevitable. I am assuming that Sochi was his last competition. And, really, he skated two beautiful programs, so it is a good note for him to end his career on.

I honestly put off writing this post as long as possible because I don't have the words to describe how much this magnificent skater has meant to me. I can't imagine figure skating without Dai. I've adored him since the first time I saw him skate in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, which is when I became an avid figure skating fan. Dai has been my favorite since I started following figure skating, and I absolutely fell in love with him as I watched the 2010-2011 season. I just can't come up with enough words for all the emotions and memories I have for him. For how amazing his skate is.

He has taken his fans on a crazy journey. It amazes me how he can do things from the sexy “Cyberswan” to the tender “Amelie” to a passionate tango, and do them all perfectly. And I can't forget “Blues for Klook”, which is a top contender for my favorite program of his. He is so musical; it's like his body is an instrument out on the ice, expressing the music, not just skating to it. He is a natural dancer on the ice. He has this presence on the ice that no one can compare to, like charisma times 1000. It's magnetic. And every single time he skates, he gives the audience his whole heart and so much emotion and passion. Some skaters are good performers with their bodies but emotionally they are not in it – Daisuke always is. All of us here on this thread know it, but it's something that cannot be put into words. The feelings he gives when skating cannot be accurately described; you just have to watch and feel.

I always thought I would be sad if Dai didn't get a medal at Sochi, but now that it happened, it's okay. I'm not sad like I thought I would be. Sure, I would've loved a medal for him, but watching him skate that inspired Beatles program, I realized something – the medal isn't what mattered. Yes, to most of the world the medals are what matters, but not for Daisuke, not this time. He has struggled so much this season, and he went out and skated the best he was capable of. He has been through a lot in his career, and his final Olympic skate was a wonderful piece of art to enjoy. He got to enjoy skating it, and we got to enjoy watching it. I think that is what mattered. So what if he didn't medal? He made his country, his fans, and hopefully himself very proud. I feel blessed just to be able to watch him. He grabs my heart like no one else can. Whatever he decides to do in the future, I hope he keeps dreaming and setting goals, and does great things after his skating career. He is a champion through and through.

Daisuke,

Stay strong. Your loyal fans from all over the world will always love and support you, and we believe you will do great things with the rest of your life. Your skating through the years showed me something beautiful, and you made me fall in love with figure skating. Whenever I was feeling down, I would watch you skate and it made me happy to see something so extraordinary. There will never be another like you. You laid your heart out there every time and showed us more passion and soul than any other skater. Daisuke, I have no words. All I can say is thank you.
Thank you for cheering me up on the bad days.
Thank you for bringing the sexy to figure skating.
Thank you for never quitting when things got tough, and for enduring for so many years.
Thank you for every performance full of heart and soul.
Thank you for sharing your amazing talent with me and the rest of the world.
You will never cease to be my favorite and the best in my heart and mind. You are a true champion. You will never lose my support or my adoration. Forever and always, Daisuke <3

With love.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Tessa and Scott,
Thanks you for all the amazing programs, from all the emotions, for everything you gave to ice dance. It have been 6 years since I fell in love with your "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" performance. For me, you are by far the best ice dancers ever and it will be very difficult to watch the ice dance competitions without you. During these years you skated an almost everything, from romantic stuff, to tango, latino or Pink Floyd. You let me speechless each time with your interpretation, talent and special connection. I could never imagine you skating with other partners, when you start dancing, there's something magic which caught my eye like no other skaters did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIHk7UqfiPI
(Only one of the masterpieces. The flow, the elegance, the facial expressions speak for themselves.)
Goodbye, champions and thank you for all the feelings!

(even though I hope this is not a goodbye)

edit:I'll probably come back for a Mao and Yuna goodbye.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I may not be able to be on the forum much after this, but I can't leave without writing one more post about Daisuke Takahashi.

While Daisuke, to my knowledge, hasn't yet said the official words "I'm retiring," I think that it is inevitable. I am assuming that Sochi was his last competition. And, really, he skated two beautiful programs, so it is a good note for him to end his career on.

I honestly put off writing this post as long as possible because I don't have the words to describe how much this magnificent skater has meant to me. I can't imagine figure skating without Dai. I've adored him since the first time I saw him skate in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, which is when I became an avid figure skating fan. Dai has been my favorite since I started following figure skating, and I absolutely fell in love with him as I watched the 2010-2011 season. I just can't come up with enough words for all the emotions and memories I have for him. For how amazing his skate is.

He has taken his fans on a crazy journey. It amazes me how he can do things from the sexy “Cyberswan” to the tender “Amelie” to a passionate tango, and do them all perfectly. And I can't forget “Blues for Klook”, which is a top contender for my favorite program of his. He is so musical; it's like his body is an instrument out on the ice, expressing the music, not just skating to it. He is a natural dancer on the ice. He has this presence on the ice that no one can compare to, like charisma times 1000. It's magnetic. And every single time he skates, he gives the audience his whole heart and so much emotion and passion. Some skaters are good performers with their bodies but emotionally they are not in it – Daisuke always is. All of us here on this thread know it, but it's something that cannot be put into words. The feelings he gives when skating cannot be accurately described; you just have to watch and feel.

I always thought I would be sad if Dai didn't get a medal at Sochi, but now that it happened, it's okay. I'm not sad like I thought I would be. Sure, I would've loved a medal for him, but watching him skate that inspired Beatles program, I realized something – the medal isn't what mattered. Yes, to most of the world the medals are what matters, but not for Daisuke, not this time. He has struggled so much this season, and he went out and skated the best he was capable of. He has been through a lot in his career, and his final Olympic skate was a wonderful piece of art to enjoy. He got to enjoy skating it, and we got to enjoy watching it. I think that is what mattered. So what if he didn't medal? He made his country, his fans, and hopefully himself very proud. I feel blessed just to be able to watch him. He grabs my heart like no one else can. Whatever he decides to do in the future, I hope he keeps dreaming and setting goals, and does great things after his skating career. He is a champion through and through.

Daisuke,

Stay strong. Your loyal fans from all over the world will always love and support you, and we believe you will do great things with the rest of your life. Your skating through the years showed me something beautiful, and you made me fall in love with figure skating. Whenever I was feeling down, I would watch you skate and it made me happy to see something so extraordinary. There will never be another like you. You laid your heart out there every time and showed us more passion and soul than any other skater. Daisuke, I have no words. All I can say is thank you.
Thank you for cheering me up on the bad days.
Thank you for bringing the sexy to figure skating.
Thank you for never quitting when things got tough, and for enduring for so many years.
Thank you for every performance full of heart and soul.
Thank you for sharing your amazing talent with me and the rest of the world.
You will never cease to be my favorite and the best in my heart and mind. You are a true champion. You will never lose my support or my adoration. Forever and always, Daisuke <3

With love.

:cry:

noskates

Record Breaker
I have to admit that I was never very fond of Daisuke until his long program this year. I loved it. I loved how he skated it. The music fit his style perfectly in my opinion and left me wanting to see more of him. There was just a quiet elegance about it. If Mao retires - I will miss her. Have loved watching her skate from the beginning.

Butterscotch, what you said about Dai's body being like a musical instrument out on the ice pretty much sums it up for me. In my estimation, he belongs on the list of history's greatest skaters.

The others I am sorry to say goodbye to include Meryl and Charlie, Tessa and Scott, Mao, YuNa, Akiko, and Alissa. I hope that at least some of them will continue skating in shows or some other venue, but if they don't, I can enjoy what they have already given us.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks Tessa and Scott for bringing dance back to Ice Dance. You both are an inspiration and have kept Canada well in the fore front of ice dance for many years. Our young up and coming ice dance teams certainly will have a high standard to aim for as you've set the bar high. I look forward to seeing Scott and Tessa at the Stars on Ice tour here in Vancouver in May. I hope they skate their Sochi Olympic program in the show. It is outstanding and one of their finest programs. I better pack some tissues in my purse, because I know I am going to cry.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have to give a shout out to Patrick Chan for his hard work and determination over the years. He truly is amazing to watch. I wish Patrick the best in his future endeavors and look forward to seeing him at the Stars on Ice tour in Vancouver in May.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Wow, Daisuke's covered!
Second Alissa Czisny - beautiful skating, beautiful person inside and out
Carolina Kostner - ditto, her Olympic performances were worthy of gold to me
Akiko Suzuki - admire her so much for her perseverance and the joy she exudes in skating
Virtue/Moir and Davis/White - started watching ice dance because of these two teams, so sad to see them go
Pechalat/Bourzat - just discovered them this season and so in love with their Little Prince FD, deserve to end their career as worlds champions despite missing out on Olympic bronze

On a side note, I really hope Patrick Chan doesn't retire.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Farewell, mighty Plushenchrist, greater than all. Farewell, mighty King, strong and proud and to the last, unbroken. Farewell, master of the ice, and never by it mastered.

Farewell to the man who caught my eye, and farewell to the man who made me love skating.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, Daisuke's covered!
Second Alissa Czisny - beautiful skating, beautiful person inside and out
Carolina Kostner - ditto, her Olympic performances were worthy of gold to me
Akiko Suzuki - admire her so much for her perseverance and the joy she exudes in skating
Virtue/Moir and Davis/White - started watching ice dance because of these two teams, so sad to see them go
Pechalat/Bourzat - just discovered them this season and so in love with their Little Prince FD, deserve to end their career as worlds champions despite missing out on Olympic bronze

:agree:

LRK

Record Breaker
Butterscotch17, I just have to thank you for starting this thread! What a beautiful, lovely idea - hopefully I will be able to come back and say something more worthwhile about the skaters I will miss so much - Plushy, Brian, Daisuke, Pang/Tong, Mao, Akiko... so many others. I think this thread might make my heart break - but it is a good heartbreak. "I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

My absolute favourite Plushy performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkhn4KbisJc

My comfort viewing, never fails to transport me.

A newly made Plushy montage - Colussus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd4vJiCCkhc

I love how cllips from when he was 14 to 31 - and all ages between - are juxtaposed, giving one an emotional sense of the journey he has been on. "Once the King of Ice, always the King of Ice."

And now I will go back and read the thread, for I could not settle down to it properly until I had said this, and expressed my gratitude to you, Butterscoth17, for this beautiful idea. Indeed, let us celebrate the skaters who have given us so much joy and beauty and excitement over the years. I'm not sure I have the words to express what I feel, but I shall think on it - and now, I will go and properly read your moving tribute to Daisuke. Thank you so much.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I'm losing all my favourite skaters at the end of this season, so it's really sad.
Akiko Suzuki; Every time I watch her I just smile. Not since Michelle Kwan has a lady skater made me do that.
Pechelat/Borzat; They improved every season & never gave up. Their FD at the Olympics had me in tears.
Daisuke; The shining light of men's skating.
It almost feels like I'm losing friends :cry:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Carolina: she is the one who made me fall in love with this sport, and I admire her so much as a skater and as a person because (as Akiko) she never gave up and she's the clear example of how dreams can come true, if you just have the perseverance to reach them. She gave us so many great programs: just think about her Pachelbel Canon in Tokyo (I still watch it when I want to cheer me up a bit), her 2012 Worlds Mozart or her Olympic Ave Maria... True masterpieces! It's really difficult for me to imagine a fs championships without her now :slink:
Goodbye Carolina, and thank you for all you gave us (and me, personally)! :bow: