The 36th Iditarod Sled Dog Race | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The 36th Iditarod Sled Dog Race

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's gonna come down to the wire between Lance and Jeff, nothing to it. They are just in a class by themselves.

I'm a little annoyed with Mackey's idea of continuing to push his team. I mean, I know it's part of the game, but I think his way of going about it is a little off. But that's just me, I personally don't care for Lance all that much :lol: - http://iditarodblogs.com/news/2008/03/10/one-two-off-the-sea-ice/

I'm really hoping Jeff wins his 5th with all 16 dogs, that'd just be awesome!

Mitch is back in 10th place, but really it's like 12 mushers all tied for third at this point. It's seriously INSANE!

Martin Buser is back in 4th... it's just awesomely stacked!

I'm really excited how this plays out. If Jeff wins and Mitch comes third or Fourth (with Martin taking the other placement) I will be a happy girl!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
A second dog has died, and this time it's not due to illness, but by a reckless snowmachine driver. Incredibly FRUSTRATING. Troopers are investigating to determine whether alchohol was a factor (um, yeah the guy plowed through a dog team in a check point, he was either drunk or just incredibly stupid! :mad: ) The musher has decided to keep going, though she is very upset about the incident (a second dog was injured and flown to Anchorage for surgery)

Lance Mackey is still in the lead with Jeff chasing him down, they are both out of Elim... Martin Buser is currently 3rd, but believes that he cannot catch the leaders. But anything could happen. Mitch Seavey is back in 8th, Rick Swenson in 10th.

the Scratch list is up to 13 mushers...

It's going to be a nail biter finish!

Article worth reading - http://iditarodblogs.com/news/2008/03/10/koyuk-becomes-grand-central-station/

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
LANCE MACKEY IS IN WHITE MOUNTAIN... he has to take an 8 hour break before he can continue to Safety, the last check point before Nome.

Jeff King is apparently still on the trail... he's about an hour behind Mackey.....

Buser has dropped to 5th as he's still resting in Elim, Hans Gatt and Ken Anderson stopped for no more than 10 and 5 minutes respectively and are on the trail to white mt.

the rest of the top 10 hasn't really changed!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ok, so I was wrong. Jeff isn't an hour behind Lance (he just started out that way) he is only 7 minutes behind him...... as it was just posted that he is infact in White Mountain....

I won't be sleeping until this is over, lol (ok I might sleep, but not well)

laceup

On the Ice
Thanks for all the great updates. This is really interesting!!! Do you think it is a coincidence they played Snow Dogs on tv on Sunday night - lol ?!? I was sad to read about the dog getting run over by a snow mobile. I hope the guys is up on some charges of some description!! 7 minutes between 1st and 2nd - does it get any closer than this???

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I missread the info in my excitement there's actually a 57 minute difference between Lance and Jeff... but I would not be surprised if Jeff let the dogs go all out this evening to make that up

estimated time of arrival in Nome for the winner is set between 2 and 6 am Alaska Standard Time (we're 4 hours behind New York, 1 hour behind Cali)

sillylionlove

Medalist
Well I saw today that Mackey won. It was on the running ticker tape on the television during Good Morning America. It's his second win in a row.

I know that they usually show highlights of the show on television. Does anyone know when this will be?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I ended up not waking up when my alarm went off this morning (yes I set it for 2 am... during Spring Break...)

I am bummed that Lance won, a little bit, I was really hoping for Jeff ... but it's still a nice story though now we have to hear him over and over during the next year :rolleyes:

To answer your question: the Discovery Channel will be running a series on the race this fall, I'm not sure if PBS is running the highlights special this year or not. You can order a DVD that will be sent out later this year...

ETA - a little more info

http://iditarodblogs.com/news/2008/03/12/king-claims-second-in-iditarod-36/

http://iditarodblogs.com/news/2008/03/12/double-trouble-mackey-wins-again/

if you have these channels you can catch highlights from this year's race

On Versus
3 one-hour shows:

Sunday, March 16
Sunday, March 23
Sunday, March 30
All shows air at 7 p.m. ET, with a re-air at 10 pm ET

On the Discovery Channel
Series will begin to air in October of 2008. Dates/times not yet established.

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Thanks so much...I do have the verses channel. I will ahve to set up my DVR to tape it. I know that a few years ago ABC used to show highlights. I loved watcing them. I love the iditarod....which probably explains why my two favorite shows are deadliest catch and ice road truckers!!