The Beautiful people on skates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Beautiful people on skates

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I remember one of the Eurosport boys (I'm not sure if it was Chris Howarth or Simon Reed) used to be gaga for Diana Poth of Hungary. Gaga to the point where he generally couldn't even speak when she was skating at times. She was indeed very beautiful.

Beautiful people are indeed nice to look at but physical beauty is just one criteria of an overall picture of a skater or anyone else. Perhaps it's only harmful or inappropriate to discuss physical beauty if solely done at the expense of these other criteria.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I remember one of the Eurosport boys (I'm not sure if it was Chris Howarth or Simon Reed) used to be gaga for Diana Poth of Hungary. Gaga to the point where he generally couldn't even speak when she was skating at times. She was indeed very beautiful.

Beautiful people are indeed nice to look at but physical beauty is just one criteria of an overall picture of a skater or anyone else. Perhaps it's only harmful or inappropriate to discuss physical beauty if solely done at the expense of these other criteria.

I just can imagine Chris or Simon becoming speechless before the beauty of Diana :rofl2: Oh how I miss BritEurosport!!! They were the best!!!
I totally agree with the second part of your comment :agree: Firstly two of my pet boys are probably not exactly the most handsome in a classic sense (Misha Ge and Jason Brown to be exact), but they are incredibly charming to me and to many, many people as well. In skating especially, the beauty comes out in so many ways, other than looking like a perfect ice prince/princess. And of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it is such a subjective thing...

I shy away from threads like this. The reason? If I make a list of the most stunning skaters of all time (say, Angelika Krylova and Yuna Kim, just to throw out a couple of random names), then all the skaters who don't see their names will say, "So what am I, chopped liver?" First thing you know someone ends up getting their feelings hurt.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I have the HUGEST crush on Adelina Sotnikova. I think she is absolutely gorgeous.
But to be fair, I think it is way harder to find a skater that is NOT incredibly attractive, especially the lady skaters and ice dancers. For men, it is more up to personal tastes IMO.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just can imagine Chris or Simon becoming speechless before the beauty of Diana :rofl2: Oh how I miss BritEurosport!!! They were the best!!!
I totally agree with the second part of your comment :agree: Firstly two of my pet boys are probably not exactly the most handsome in a classic sense (Misha Ge and Jason Brown to be exact), but they are incredibly charming to me and to many, many people as well. In skating especially, the beauty comes out in so many ways, other than looking like a perfect ice prince/princess. And of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it is such a subjective thing...
ies
Huh did I miss something beauty is in the eye of the beholder but Misha Ge and Jason Brown ???? I don't see how they rate as classic beauti

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ies
Huh did I miss something beauty is in the eye of the beholder but Misha Ge and Jason Brown ???? I don't see how they rate as classic beauti

I think MG Style was trying to say exactly that: Jason and Misha are not classically "beautiful", but their skating makes them so .....non è bello ciò quel che è bello, è bello ciò quel che piace.

Like many others here, I am reluctant to talk about women because of cultural expectations/body image issues/etc. that often accompanies that, but not so the men. And they have gotten short shrift in this thread. Am I hypocritical? I don't care. :laugh:

I don't spend much time on skater's looks, but over time, these two have impressed:

Young and competitive Christopher Bowman

His current successor for looks, Romain Ponsart

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are some mentioned here that I would not put on my list - and some who haven't been mentioned. This just seems like a topic best left alone. JMO, of course.

non è bello ciò quel che è bello, è bello ciò quel che piace.

Took the words right out of my mouth. That's what is so great about this site -- every thread makes me have to look up something. :)

I'm not sure I can second Christopher Bowman's nomination, though. Not to speak ill of the dearly departed, but in the picture you linked he looks like a lounge lizard -- specifically, Wayne Newton. ;) Bowman the Showman was a child TV star whose life as an adult took a tragic turn. :cry:

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is interesting, and maybe humanism, how two physically attractive people end up with each other ie Gordeeva and Grinkov and Fontana and Zimmerman of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and those couples seem more classically beautiful but i realize classic beauty is highly interpretative. Many think there is a certain beauty or sexiness about the former couple on and off the ice Usova and Zhulin. Success can also be deemed beautiful ie Kristi, Michelle, Shizuka and Evan. Physical fitness/muscles can be deemed by some as beauty on ice Kevin Vande P, Smirnov, Dylan M, Guillame, Elvis (or physical assets\0; personality and charm ie Takahashi, Candelero; exoticness can be beauty on skates ie Surya, Meryl had a certain exoticness about them. So much beauty not just skating lol on ice. Nicole Bobek, Nancy Kerrigan, Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Sasha Cohen, Gracie Gold, Ashley Wagner, Jill trenary, Lisa Marie Allen, Alaine Chartrand, Tessa Virtue, Kaetlyn Osmond, the Helgesson sisters, Diana Poth, Witt, Krylova, Maria B, Adelina, Julia, Korpi, - tonnes of beauty and that doesn't include beautiful people inside too.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think MG Style was trying to say exactly that: Jason and Misha are not classically "beautiful", but their skating makes them so .....non è bello ciò quel che è bello, è bello ciò quel che piace.

Like many others here, I am reluctant to talk about women because of cultural expectations/body image issues/etc. that often accompanies that, but not so the men. And they have gotten short shrift in this thread. Am I hypocritical? I don't care. :laugh:

I don't spend much time on skater's looks, but over time, these two have impressed:

Young and competitive Christopher Bowman

His current successor for looks, Romain Ponsart

Sorry my mistake. But i do like their skating.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Took the words right out of my mouth. That's what is so great about this site -- every thread makes me have to look up something. :)

I'm not sure I can second Christopher Bowman's nomination, though. Not to speak ill of the dearly departed, but in the picture you linked he looks like a lounge lizard -- specifically, Wayne Newton. ;) Bowman the Showman was a child TV star whose life as an adult took a tragic turn. :cry:

Dredging up my rusty Italian in honor of MG Style, who is, I believe, la vera Italiana.:biggrin:

And what exactly is wrong with lounge lizards?;) But I share your sadness at Christopher's untimely end. National championships and Worlds' medals are great, and then they're gone, and then a skater hopefully has a life .... but that's another thread.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Help, none of this fascinates me. Must be a really bad case of the off-season blues :(.

mrrice

Record Breaker

It's too bad about Christopher Bowman. I don't know enough about his situation to make an accurate comment. However, I can say from my personal experience that discipline begins at home. There were a number of times in my young life that my Parents, Especially my Father, ruined my plans for early stardom. Thank goodness he did or my life would have been much different. My father is the one who ended my skating career when he told me that if I continued skating, he'd fire my agent and refuse to take me to anymore vocal auditions.

I was very strong willed and by 15, I had enough money to take care of myself. However, when my Father said no, that was the end of the discussion. I also would never have missed practice and had my coach searching for me like Frank had to do with Christopher. When Chris was older, he had gained a lot of weight and I thought that was a sign that he had stopped doing drugs. However, he must have relapsed which is very sad. A cautionary tale is the category where I would place Christopher.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Perhaps a more academic question is: how much does extreme female beauty affect the judges?

I think there is an Ideal cap intended for Usfsa.

Think of Alissa and those two championships

Think of Rachel Flatt who was demonized for not being Yuna skinny on these boards

More examples? Look around the world. I personally enjoy the pageantry aspect of the sport but think it is bad for the sport cause people don't see the skating skills - they see dresses hair makeup- perfect thin girls who are often a bit starved looking.

It's fun to keep it light- who do you find attractive?

But the underside is the pressure to be beautiful. to be thin. Being thin is not about just executing throws or jump combos. It is what all skaters want- long lean muscle. It's the rule really. Don't get fat or get bulky muscles. I feel it is all wrong. May Berenice is powerful. At time I wonder if Pl

I personally love the fashion parade but if they decided a technical program would use simplified outfits fine with me.

It's all cool to sound above it all and sniff t a topic la Pepe lepew but that is just being negative. If I don't like a thread I simply usually say nothing.

I still marvel at these stunning athletes and yes Madison Chock is. True beauty I agree.

Surya Bonaly imo was very attractive- should have been scored higher first mark. I have felt that with the exception of Debbie Usfsa has never promoted a beautiful black woman. Correct me I. Wrong.

If we do not fit an ideal and beauty as diversity should be promoted by FSU

Im happy with grit versus glam but many think the pageant aspect is passé and should me muted.

What are your thoughts on this related question?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The skaters from Russia Europe USA go blond. It's a glamor sport- denying that is plain stupid. It's been discussed many times if you search topic. Why ban light off season topics🙄

Oh really? Then what about these skaters: Queen Liza, Moon Princess Evgenia, Adelina, Ashley...? None of them are blonde.

The whole concept is stupid. We're talking about athletes, not supermodels: these young women are athletic and muscular, and that muscle tone shows up differently on different body types. Saying that skates deliberately go "blond and thin" is just dumb. You can't jump without muscle.

They're all beautiful. I didn't see a single lady at Worlds that I would classify as other than beautiful. The men at Worlds ranged between "adorkably cute" to "smokin' hot" with no exceptions.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I agree Karne but I pose the question why so many skaters do go blond. Of course some are dark and go darker. You are missing my point totally. Looks really matter. And there is a almost unnatural number of beautiful people who skate. Or are we seeing people who skate and also can mesmerize with their look?

I think so. It matters greatly and skaters get points we do not see awarded due to beauty. G and G were the ultimate pair example.

Last edited:

Spiral

Final Flight
I agree Karne but I pose the question why so many skaters do go blond. Of course some are dark and go darker. You are missing my point totally. Looks really matter. And there is a almost unnatural number of beautiful people who skate. Or are we seeing people who skate and also can mesmerize with their look?

I think so. It matters greatly and skaters get points we do not see awarded due to beauty. G and G were the ultimate pair example.

Gordeeva/Grinkov were the greatest pair skaters ever, according to most people’s opinion, and that’s why they got the scores they got. Same as Belousova/Protopopov in their day, without such looks.

If looks mattered greatly for success in figure skating, how come Silvia Fontana and Kiira Korpi never rose above 9th place at Worlds? How come Diana Poth who so mesmerized the British commentators never mesmerized the judges enough to ever put her above 10th place at Worlds?

Rachael Flatt also won US Nationals (in 2010), regardless of what some people may have said about her figure.

Many figure skaters dye their hair blond for the same reasons that many non-figure skaters do so: many people in general like to experiment with different looks, and while many dark-haired people can look well with light hair, few light-haired people have the complexion that goes well with dark hair; besides, dark hair-dye doesn’t look natural, unlike blond hair-dye. Figure skaters sure don’t dye their hair blond to do better at figure skating, considering that during the last 10 years all the Worlds and Olympic champions, except Carolina Kostner (once), were brunettes: Miki Ando, Mao Asada, Yu-na Kim, Adelina Sotnikova, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and Evgenia Medvedeva. And why didn’t all figure skaters start dying their hair black? Because they know that hair color is not the reason anybody becomes a champion.

So many figure skaters look good on the ice because they eat healthily, exercise a lot on a regular basis and put a lot of effort into their hairstyles and make-up before competitions out of personal vanity (as almost anybody would if they were performing in front of an audience).

And speaking of light topics, it’s one thing to talk about who one personally finds most attractive (although I personally don’t see much point to that either), and another to state that so and so won championships because of his/her looks.