(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014

Zamboni

On the Ice
It was a shame we couldn't send 3 men to the Olympics.

Let's be honest, if Jason hadn't had the long program of his life (so far!) at Nationals, Max would have gone to the Olympics. I really felt bad for him, and I think that USFS did too. Jason deserved to go, BTW, but I still felt so bad for Max. He was so heartbroken on the medal stand at Nationals. :cry:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It was a shame we couldn't send 3 men to the Olympics.

Let's be honest, if Jason hadn't had the long program of his life (so far!) at Nationals, Max would have gone to the Olympics. I really felt bad for him, and I think that USFS did too. Jason deserved to go, BTW, but I still felt so bad for Max. He was so heartbroken on the medal stand at Nationals. :cry:

:agree: It was impossible not to be heartbroken :cry: for Max at Nationals, and impossible not to be excited :) for Jason.
Fingers crossed that Max will have a strong showing at Worlds, and that it will be a good start toward an Olympic slot in 2018. I hope that we will see his great smile again in Japan.
Meanwhile, I'm happy that Jason returned from Sochi with not only a bronze medal, but also lots of special memories and new friendships. Look forward to cheering for him when he competes at Worlds in future years.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I've always thought it was a mistake when the USFSA sends one skater(s) to the Olympics and another to Worlds. The main example of such a mistake is 1992. Christopher Bowman was champion, Todd Eldredge petitioned on the team after an injury, Paul Wylie was named to the Olympic team and Mark Mitchell was named to the World Team. Paul Wylie - the Olympic Silver Medalist - was the skater that didn't end up at Worlds. I was happy for Mark to get to go to Worlds, but to not have an Olympic Medalist named to the World Team (and Paul would have loved to have gone) was really dumb.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Weird, but maybe R&H and O&W didn't have the min. scores in one of the programs?

That's what I originally thought, but I would assume the scores R&H and O&W got at 4 Continents in January were good enough to meet the ISU Technical scores since they finished 4th and 5th at that event. I would have assumed Edwards & Pang have lower scores considering that I think this is their first year in Seniors and haven't even competed on the Senior GP to my knowledge.

R&H were at a Worlds 2 years ago when they filled in for G&P who couldn't go because of Piper not yet being released from the USFSA.

Nirti

Medalist
Davidovich/Krasnopolski aren't listed anymore.

A little bit more strange, the 2 ice dance pairs from Ukraine were removed too. Anyone knows why?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
:agree: It was impossible not to be heartbroken :cry: for Max at Nationals, and impossible not to be excited :) for Jason.
Fingers crossed that Max will have a strong showing at Worlds, and that it will be a good start toward an Olympic slot in 2018. I hope that we will see his great smile again in Japan.

So how is he doing? Haven't heard anything about his practising or thoughts lately. How many quads will he go for? Is he doing the same programs as at nationals or changing something? I too want him to do well at worlds and be happy with this season, going into the next with helpful experiences.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So how is he doing? Haven't heard anything about his practising or thoughts lately. How many quads will he go for? Is he doing the same programs as at nationals or changing something? I too want him to do well at worlds and be happy with this season, going into the next with helpful experiences.

No word yet, AFAIK, on what Max Aaron is planning for program content at Worlds.
I am hopeful that his head is in a good place. His Fan Fest thread has a few photos of him enjoying recent occasions such as his birthday and Synchro Nats.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
No word yet, AFAIK, on what Max Aaron is planning for program content at Worlds.
I am hopeful that his head is in a good place. His Fan Fest thread has a few photos of him enjoying recent occasions such as his birthday and Synchro Nats.

Probably a good idea not talking too much about his plans. I think if I were a top athlete I would stay away from social and other media as much as possible. Just focusing on my own goals and sharing my plans with nearest/dearist.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
That's what I originally thought, but I would assume the scores R&H and O&W got at 4 Continents in January were good enough to meet the ISU Technical scores since they finished 4th and 5th at that event. I would have assumed Edwards & Pang have lower scores considering that I think this is their first year in Seniors and haven't even competed on the Senior GP to my knowledge.

R&H were at a Worlds 2 years ago when they filled in for G&P who couldn't go because of Piper not yet being released from the USFSA.

Hmm, weird. Hopefully that doesn't mean the teams are retiring or splitting. R&H did quite well the one time they were at Worlds, yeah.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Hmm, weird. Hopefully that doesn't mean the teams are retiring or splitting. R&H did quite well the one time they were at Worlds, yeah.

The odds are against both R&H and O&W having split up without our hearing about it, so perhaps we'll find out the rationale behind the Worlds entry list at some point.

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
<snip>A little bit more strange, the 2 ice dance pairs from Ukraine were removed too. Anyone knows why?

Perhaps the unstable political situation currently in Ukraine? I don't know where they live/train, so just a guess on my part.

Nirti

Medalist
Perhaps the unstable political situation currently in Ukraine? I don't know where they live/train, so just a guess on my part.

I've thought but Godorozha, Popova and Lavrentieva/Rudyk weren't removed... Or maybe the Ukrainian fed hasn't enough money to send 6 skaters. The dancers hasn't any chances to make the cut.

Frolenkova/Nikiforov seems to train in Kharkiv but Heekin-Canedy/Dun in Hackensack (USA), according to their ISU bio :)

Anastasi14

On the Ice

According to one source Frolenkova has back injury and according to other after missing the OG team they stopped trainings and now Nadezda trains children.

discombobulate

Rinkside
I may be alone in this opinion but I think it would be awesome to see Adelina compete at Worlds.
Kind of like saying, "I'm not going to be intimidated by what happened in Sochi. I don't care if Worlds IS taking place so close to Korea. I'm here to prove that my OGM was no fluke."

I would totally agree with you.. if she had top-notch, well put-together programs (specifically the long). I am stoked to see her come back next year with better programs :)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I hope so. I could see R&H retiring, but probably not.

You raise an interesting question - what should R&H do at this point in their careers? R&H have been together for over a decade but have yet to get on the Canadian podium - the highest they have been is 4th. That must be discouraging, although I admire their perky persistence. But unless a couple of things go their way, it may be tough to get onto the Canadian podium, or get back to Worlds.

V&M haven't officially retired yet, but they are expected to do so before next season. That will open up one spot on the Canadian podium, but unless W&P decide to retire too, R&H (and O&W) will be competing with W&P, G&P and P&I for a spot on the podium. But unless G&P or P&I have a major crash at Nationals (eg. the way P&I did in 2013 when O&W got on the podium because W&P were injured), I don't see R&H or O&W being able to move up in Canada. It's not as much of an issue for O&W because they haven't been together as long and might be more willing to wait another cycle, but it might be the time for R&H to consider making a change in their programs, coaching or training to see if they can raise their game before it's too late.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
You raise an interesting question - what should R&H do at this point in their careers? R&H have been together for over a decade but have yet to get on the Canadian podium - the highest they have been is 4th. That must be discouraging, although I admire their perky persistence. But unless a couple of things go their way, it may be tough to get onto the Canadian podium, or get back to Worlds.

V&M haven't officially retired yet, but they are expected to do so before next season. That will open up one spot on the Canadian podium, but unless W&P decide to retire too, R&H (and O&W) will be competing with W&P, G&P and P&I for a spot on the podium. But unless G&P or P&I have a major crash at Nationals (eg. the way P&I did in 2013 when O&W got on the podium because W&P were injured), I don't see R&H or O&W being able to move up in Canada. It's not as much of an issue for O&W because they haven't been together as long and might be more willing to wait another cycle, but it might be the time for R&H to consider making a change in their programs, coaching or training to see if they can raise their game before it's too late.

I think as long as R&H's bodies hold up and they can stay on the National team, they should continue. Being top 5 in the country and on the national team isn't too shabby, even if you never make the podium. I think dropping off the national team and losing funding would be worse for them than never getting a bronze medal. I was worried they would drop off the team this year, but then V&M have practically confirmed retirement.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Oh yeah, since some people were wondering (including me) why Edwards and Pang are the subs for Sr. Worlds instead of O&W or R&H, maybe it's just because Skate Canada figured they'd be in the best shape due to training for and competing at Junior Worlds. That just occurred to me when I was looking at the Junior Worlds entry list.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
R&H and O&W aren't on the list simply because neither team has the TES minimun scores. (SD score for both IIRC).