The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently?

The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently?

• Sasha Cohen

Votes: 15 4.8%
  • Michelle Kwan

Votes: 103 33.2%
  • Irina Slutskaya

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Kurt Browning

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Evgeny Plushenko

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • Elvis Stojko

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Alexei Yagudin

Votes: 94 30.3%
  • Elena Berezhnaya / Anton Sikharulidze

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Jamie Sale / David Pelletier

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Others (maybe some icedancers?)

Votes: 21 6.8%

• Total voters

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Piel said:
IMO a big reason that Yagudin and Plushenko seem to be the most popular/beloved judging by the number of fan sites is that most skating fans are females and they are more likely to prefer cute guys.
Please. So men skaters are popular not because they're good and successful, but because of looks. Poor Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen who are so unpopular (especially in a huge country where ladies don't even have to be very successful in a World level to be crowned "ice princesses"...). Plushenko having fans because he's "cute"? That's a good one. A couple of years ago, he was one of the most bashed skaters out there. His hair, his nose, his costumes... There's people all the time claiming what the huge deal about Yagudin is. If anything, I would say fandom makes people find "cute" men that they would usually find average.

There is a big difference between finding skaters handsome, cute or hot and being a fan. John Zimmerman is a popular guy in terms of looks but how many fans does he have?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
You are missing the point :banging: :banging: :banging: (I KNEW this guy would come in handy)! IMO fan sites are more about the fans than the skaters. And like it or not those most likely to flood the fan site are teenage girls. I work with girls and have found that they tend to be much more vocal in their fandom of boys than other girls.

Another thing I am finding interesting is that American fans seem to be much more supportive of European and Asian skaters than European and Asian fans seem to be of American skaters.

(especially in a huge country where ladies don't even have to be very successful in a World level to be crowned "ice princesses"...).

To reach the podium at U.S. nationals is it's own reward. So sue us for having a deep field :sheesh: :sheesh: :sheesh: .Maybe it's a cultural thing but here in the states we like to think of ALL of our girls as princesses :biggrin: .

Germanice

On the Ice
Piel said:
Another thing I am finding interesting is that American fans seem to be much more supportive of European and Asian skaters than European and Asian fans seem to be of American skaters.
I don't think European- and Asian skating fans are less open than American fans. They don't make a difference between American- and rest-of-the-world skaters, probably only between interesting/appealing one's or not-soo-interesting. ;) :yes:

And may I remind people once again of the great Dortmund (German/European) audience at Worlds this year, they were tremendously supportive to EVERY skater, in opposite to the Washington crowd the year before (Totmiannina/Marinin, Lobacheva/Averbukh).

Anke

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Piel said:
And like it or not those most likely to flood the fan site are teenage girls. I work with girls and have found that they tend to be much more vocal in their fandom of boys than other girls. .
I much disagree and in two aspects. First of all, I would say that most of the posters on skating boards are not teenagers, many times they're old enough to be the skaters' mothers. And the teenagers that you see posting, many of them skate as well and they tend to admire the female skater they have the most in common with or who they wish to be like. Go to Sasha Cohen's site and you'll see what I mean... Teenagers are also very volatile and they may post 100 times a day during two months and the next month they're gone and they don't care about the skater.
Piel said:
And such comment is based exactly on...?

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Germanice said:
I don't think European- and Asian skating fans are less open than American fans. They don't make a difference between American- and rest-of-the-world skaters,
ITA, people don't make a difference between "Euro" skaters and the "rest of the world" skaters. "Europe" is not a nation. It's a continent with many different countries, different skaters, different federations.

Actually, I might even say that European skating fans/ audiences are much more "tolerant" and appreciative of skaters, regardless of where they come from. We get to see so little skating every year on TV, there are no tours or the amount of shows that there is in North America, we take everything we can get and we're happy. If I go watch a show, who cares where the skater is from. I'm happy already I get the rare opportunity to see a show

About audiences in general... people support who they know well and who they see. Michelle Kwan, who skated twice in Europe in the past 5 years, is obviously not going to get the same support in Europe as Plushenko, who skates in Europeans and shows, has.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
And such comment is based exactly on...?

Take this for example.........
Germanice said:
The very special Dortmund audience received every skater well, an awful lot of them got a huge applause, big cheers and standing o's, including Kwan, but by far not only Kwan! And it doesn't say anything about her real fan base here (no European fansite for example). :p

Anke

In this poll Kwan has a few more votes than Yags....so we will call it a tie and according to this poll say that they are the two most beloved skaters in the world. BUT in your post you mention that Kwan has no European fansites. Yags does have U.S. fan sites. Why are there no European fan sites for one of the most popular, successful, and beloved skaters in the history of the sport? I would think her world titles alone would give here at least a few, especially since we will probably never see another skater in our lifetime win the number of titles that she has.
I think the Europeans are jealous and frustrated by Kwan's success. It is lucky for the sport that North Americans don't feel that way about ice dancing and pairs.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Piel said:
I think the Europeans are jealous and frustrated by Kwan's success. It is lucky for the sport that North Americans don't feel that way about ice dancing and pairs.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Allow me a few seconds to bow to all mighty North Americans... Should I bow to World Champions Bourne/ Kraatz or Olympic Champions Sale/ Pelletier? Oh wait, there must be a mistake because Ice Dance and Pairs are exclusive of jealous and frustrated Europe... :biggrin:

It is a pity that you feel you have to victimize Michelle Kwan and stimulate nation conflicts. If I wanted to be a little mean, I would say you're the one who's frustrated because not everyone likes the same skaters you do. But I'm sure I'm getting the wrong impression...

Piel said:
BUT in your post you mention that Kwan has no European fansites.
Nowhere in my posts did I mention anything about Kwan and her fansites. Did you read my posts on this matter? I'm not sure why you quoted Anke's post to reply to mine. Just because we're both Europeans it doesn't mean we're not individuals with different opinions and tastes. Well, no wonder, considering you're trying to stereotype people...

I have no idea if there are or not fansites for Michelle, made by European fans. But if you want my take on why she is not as popular outside the US, I already gave it, in the post right above yours LOL I'm going to quote it for you again...
About audiences in general... people support who they know well and who they see. Michelle Kwan, who skated twice in Europe in the past 5 years, is obviously not going to get the same support in Europe as Plushenko, who skates in Europeans and shows, has.
You can't expect skaters to have the same popularity all over the World if they don't skate all over the World. Fandom is stronger when fans have contact with the skaters. This applies to all skaters, no matter what their nationality is, no matter how many titles they have. Michelle never skates outside North America, unless she has to for Worlds or Olympics. This is not a criticism, it's a matter of choice and strategy from her. If she feels better, good for her. But you can't have it both ways. Why do you think Yagudin is so popular everywhere? While eligible, he competed and did shows in the US, Canada, Japan, France, Switzerland, Germany, Russia... As a pro skater, he does shows in the US, Canada, Japan, France, Russia, he had one or two days off from SOI two years ago and he went to Monaco... He promotes himself in many countries, he has many fans in many different countries. It's quite logical and simple to understand.

BTW, in case you're interested... Michelle Kwan happens to be one of my favorite ladies of all time. How's that for a rude European, jealous and frustrated with Kwan's success? We can sure get a laugh by reading the boards sometimes LOL

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
First of all sorry for crediting you with Anke's post.

The U.S. does not usually have World and Olympic medalists in pairs and ice dance yet we follow those disciplines, cheer for those who win, and are generally supportive of ice dance and pairs teams even if they are not American. From the posts on this board I do not see that Kwan gets that same kind of support from non American audiences. If you go back and read the posts in this thread alone you will see that several American posters named Yags as most beloved while no European posters named American skaters as most beloved. Not victimizing Kwan just stating what others have posted here. That Kwan doesn't skate in Europe doesn't wash with me. If you check out the stops of COI and SOI you will see that very few cities get these shows. Europeans get to see as much of Kwan as most Americans do via televised U.S. Nationals, Worlds, Olympics, and the occasional cheesfest. I have been a major Kwan fan for years and have only seen her on T.V. Another example would be Oksana Biaul(sp). Even though she won the OGM over Kerrigan in a very close contest she was very well recieved by American audiences.

Please. So men skaters are popular not because they're good and successful, but because of looks.

Kwan is the most successful ladies skater in ages but evidently that did not make her popular in Europe. Likewise Stoyko, Browning, Boitono, Orser, and Hamilton were all extremely successful and that did not translate into the same kind of European popularity that say Candeloro or Petrenko recieved in North America.

Allow me a few seconds to bow to all mighty North Americans...
Well, the all mighty North American training facilities and the all mighty salaries recieved by European skaters from North American tours certainly seem to be appreciated.

What European tours are American skaters invited to be a part of?

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Piel said:
The U.S. does not usually have World and Olympic medalists in pairs and ice dance yet we follow those disciplines, cheer for those who win, and are generally supportive of ice dance and pairs teams even if they are not American.
And isn't this the way it should be? You think you're making a favor to somene? LOL Figure Skating is a sport with four disciplines. Just because in the US the ladies are the most popular it doesn't mean their discipline is the most important and the others are in a second category who only get applause because people are nice. This is even disrespectful for all the American ice dancers and pairs who work their butts out every day.

In Europe the ladies is the less popular discipline (being men and ice dance the most popular), yet, as you saw in Dortmund, everyone is received very well and people cheer for the winners and good skaters. Including Kwan, who got a very good reception ,as even Anke pointed out!LOL! So where is the difference to Americans and their respect for Ice Dance and Pairs?

Piel said:
I do not see that Kwan gets that same kind of support from non American audiences.
Of course she doesn't! What did you expect? She's American, she's a national icon! Of course the American audiences receive her better! Minus a few exceptions, skaters are always better received at home, it works the same for all. And especially in a country where the ladies are the most popular discipline, she's a goddess and understandably. But don't expect others to do the same, especially in countries where figure skating is not popular at all and when ou have figure skating the stars are men and ice dancers. So far, I haven't seen American audiences worshipping Plushenko and he's a god in his own right when he skates home.

Piel said:
If you go back and read the posts in this thread alone you will see that several American posters named Yags as most beloved while no European posters named American skaters as most beloved. Not victimizing Kwan just stating what others have posted here. That Kwan doesn't skate in Europe doesn't wash with me. If you check out the stops of COI and SOI you will see that very few cities get these shows. Europeans get to see as much of Kwan as most Americans do via televised U.S. Nationals, Worlds, Olympics, and the occasional cheesfest. I have been a major Kwan fan for years and have only seen her on T.V. Another example would be Oksana Biaul(sp). Even though she won the OGM over Kerrigan in a very close contest she was very well recieved by American audiences.

First of all, the opinions of Europeans on this board do not reflect all the Europeans. If you go to a Kwan forum you'll see that several European fans post there. Albeit, not many understandably.

You are underestimating hugely the importance of live skating and mainly, the figure skating coverage that North Americans get, but you clearly don't have a clue of how much skating we get to see a year. We get to see Kwan skating in Nationals? You have to be joking right? :laugh: Why in the world would Eurosport broadcast US Nationals LOL Cheesefests? In Europe? What the heck is that? In Europe, you know what we get? Europeans and Worlds and the Olympics every four years. That's it! And a show around Christmas, in Oberstdorf. Nothing more! France broadcasts their Nationals because they have decent competitors in all disciplines, but this is broadcasted in France, not Europe. I don't think other Nationals are broadcasted. Russia is the only country with a good skating coverage.

Now... you get: the GP series, the GPF, Euros, Worlds, Nationals, reports on other countries Nationals, Christmas shows (a bunch of them), Disson shows, fund-raising shows, SOI, COI, pro competitions, cheesefests, pro-ams... AND countless fluff pieces on the skaters AND skating magazines on the stands.

You get to see World top skaters so many times that if rooting for national skaters is not your priority, you can have the luxury of CHOOSE what discipline you like the most and what skaters you like the most. And then, you can CHOOSE if you want to see them on tour or not, because they all tour in America, one way or another. You can meet skaters, watch them a bunch of times a year... where is the surprise that many NA's have non-NA skaters as favorites? You're close to them, you watch them all the time!

Now... grab an American skater, add to that the fact that she's a lady, then the fact that she's one of the best ladies we've seen in a long time, add then the importance ladies discipline has in the US, multiply that for the TV coverage you have and then multiply it yet again by fluff pieces and magazine covers. What do we have? Kwan's popularity in the US, that happens to be her home.

Now grab Kwan yet again for Europe and what do we have? A foreigner, champion in a less popular discipline of an unpopular sport, who people get to see once a year on TV. Now you honestly think a bit about this and then tell me with a straight face that Kwan is a victim of Europeans' rudeness and whatever.

Likewise Stoyko, Browning, Boitono, Orser, and Hamilton were all extremely successful and that did not translate into the same kind of European popularity that say Candeloro or Petrenko recieved in North America.

Read above paragraphs LOL

Well, the all mighty North American training facilities and the all mighty salaries recieved by European skaters from North American tours certainly seem to be appreciated.

Just like many American fans seem to appreciate the opportunity to see World class skaters (World and Olympic medalists) and are willing to pay the big bucks to watch them and American rink owners are glad to have the opportunity to have World top coaches and skaters at their rink, sometimes offering them ice time for free.
What European tours are American skaters invited to be a part of?
The day we have skating tours in Europe perhaps I can reply to you.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
. Why do you think Yagudin is so popular everywhere? While eligible, he competed and did shows in the US, Canada, Japan, France, Switzerland, Germany, Russia... As a pro skater, he does shows in the US, Canada, Japan, France, Russia, he had one or two days off from SOI two years ago and he went to Monaco... He promotes himself in many countries, he has many fans in many different countries. It's quite logical and simple to understand.

The day we have skating tours in Europe perhaps I can reply to you.

:banging: :scratch: :confused: If there are no tours how do you get all of these shows???? The ionly way we get to see an ice show is if a tour comes to town.

Why in the world would Eurosport broadcast US Nationals LOL Cheesefests?

U.S. Nationals are televised on ABC's "Wide World of Sports" which I thought was an international broadcast.???? What about ESPN International? Their November listings show that the Gran Prix Series is being broadcast?

Now grab Kwan yet again for Europe and what do we have? A foreigner, champion in a less popular discipline of an unpopular sport, who people get to see once a year on TV.

I thought figure skating was more popular in Europe than in America. WHY is the lady's discipline not popular there?

All that Jazz

Rinkside
I think the Europeans are jealous and frustrated by Kwan's success.
Let me tell ya, it's not about jealousy, frustration, Michelle's citizenship or her tremendous success at home. The reason why most (not all!) European skating fans are not that "easily to impress" :biggrin: by her might be a pretty simple one. Can you take it? ;) I'd call it the Petrova/Tikhonov syndrome! :yes:

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I'd call it the Petrova/Tikhonov syndrome!

Huh??? Kwan has secure jumps, great edges, is lyrical, emotes well, and interprets music beautifully. She also draws the audience into her skating like you are sharing the experience with her. As an audience what more could you want? I enjoy skating for it's beauty and beautiful skating is what Kwan gives us.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Piel said:
:banging: :scratch: :confused: If there are no tours how do you get all of these shows???? The ionly way we get to see an ice show is if a tour comes to town.
"All of these shows"?? You consider a number of shows you can count by the fingers in your hand "all of these shows"?? Are you frigging serious? You get SOI (60 dates), COI (a bunch of dates as well), Disson shows, Christmas shows, club shows all over the country (like "Evening with Champions" or "Expressions on Ice"), you used to have a COI Winter tour and other small tours... and you want to compare that with no more than a dozen of shows each SEASON, promoted by different organizations, taking place in two or three different countires?? Many European fans travel to the USA if they want to watch a show! Your complain is that you don't have a show in every town? I feel so sorry for you LOL We don't even have shows in all countries here, let alone in all towns!

Piel said:
U.S. Nationals are televised on ABC's "Wide World of Sports" which I thought was an international broadcast.???? What about ESPN International? Their November listings show that the Gran Prix Series is being broadcast?
The first time I heard about ABC and ESPN was when I started reading skating boards and people talked about Dick Button and ABC all the time. "ABC or ESPN international brodcast"?? WTH is that? The word here is EUROSPORT.

Man, wake up. You're so totally clueless about skating in Europe and skating broadcasts in Europe it's not even funny all the assumptions you made about it in previous posts.

Piel said:
I thought figure skating was more popular in Europe than in America. WHY is the lady's discipline not popular there?
And again, NO, it's not. And why isn't the ladies discipline as popular? You mean this is wrong? I could ask the other way around - why is ladies skating popular in the USA?

Germanice

On the Ice
Piel said:
Huh??? Kwan has secure jumps, great edges, is lyrical, emotes well, and interprets music beautifully. She also draws the audience into her skating like you are sharing the experience with her. As an audience what more could you want? I enjoy skating for it's beauty and beautiful skating is what Kwan gives us.
Never mind! :biggrin: There's nothing you could do, after all you've got that certain "MK enjoyment gene". ;) Well, different genes for different people! Others are not that "blessed", they've only made it to a KB-entertainment-gene, AY-excitement-gene, EP-how-does-he-do-it?-gene or TE-'ll-win-Olympics-gene :agree: , but I don't think they're too unhappy with their lives. :)

Anke

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
"All of these shows"?? You consider a number of shows you can count by the fingers in your hand "all of these shows"?? Are you frigging serious? You get SOI (60 dates), COI (a bunch of dates as well), Disson shows, Christmas shows, club shows all over the country (like "Evening with Champions" or "Expressions on Ice"), you used to have a COI Winter tour and other small tours... and you want to compare that with no more than a dozen of shows each SEASON, promoted by different organizations, taking place in two or three different countires?? Many European fans travel to the USA if they want to watch a show! Your complain is that you don't have a show in every town? I feel so sorry for you LOL We don't even have shows in all countries here, let alone in all towns!

Why all of the anger??? I am asking legitimate questions. Do you realize how spread out the U.S.A. is? I am not complaining that the two national tours SOI and COI don't come to every town, they don't even come to every STATE. In fact both tours together only hit 33 of the 50 states. I have no idea what Disson shows are?? The Christmas shows and specials that you mention (like SOI and COI) take place in the same places, the large population centers.

The first time I heard about ABC and ESPN was when I started reading skating boards and people talked about Dick Button and ABC all the time. "ABC or ESPN international brodcast"?? WTH is that? The word here is EUROSPORT

Do you or do you not get ESPN broadcasts? If not then maybe you should complain to your local cable provider ?

Man, wake up. You're so totally clueless about skating in Europe and skating broadcasts in Europe it's not even funny all the assumptions you made about it in previous posts.

And how in the hell am I supposed to know what you see in Europe unless you choose to share that information with us? My comments in this thread are responses to the posts made by posters who said they are European and their choices in this poll. Like I said I thought Wide World of Sports was an international broadcast. I am trying to understand your point of view and am asking legitimate questions. Instead of you taking this opportunity to educate those of us who are not familiar with European skatrng broadcasts you are responding with hostility.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Well, excuse me if I sounded "hostile" LOL (coming from the poster who used the :banging: countless times while replying to my posts and who said Euros were envious and frustrated because of Kwan :laugh: ) but I was simply absolutely astonished to see that someone with such strong views on skating and Europe would have so few truthful facts to back them up. Actually, this is being a really interesting discussion because I'm now realizing where so many posters come from and why there are so many disagreements over certain issues and skaters' popularity.

Piel said:
Do you realize how spread out the U.S.A. is? I am not complaining that the two national tours SOI and COI don't come to every town, they don't even come to every STATE. In fact both tours together only hit 33 of the 50 states. I have no idea what Disson shows are?? The Christmas shows and specials that you mention (like SOI and COI) take place in the same places, the large population centers.
Yeah well, and do you realize how spread Europe is and how many countries make part of it? LOL You think you don't have enough shows or that they are centered in some areas? Still, you DO have shows, you DO have options and you don't have to travel out of the country, deal with different currencies or think about visas and how much expensive the country you're going to is to watch skating. And by the end, if you can't make it to a show, most likely you'll watch it on TV because of the broadcast contracts. There is just no possible comparison between the skating you have in the USA and Canada and what you can find in Europe LOL

Piel said:
Do you or do you not get ESPN broadcasts? If not then maybe you should complain to your local cable provider ?
:laugh: No, I don't get ESPN or ABC or whatever. It's not a matter of local cable providers, AFAIK, the option just doesn't exist LOL Just because it's "international" doesn't mean it reaches the whole world. (I have no idea what countries it does reach, BTW, because I never heard anyone non-US based saying they watched that station.) Why do you think we worship Eurosport that, btw, it's already cable? Why do you think we complain all the time we don't have enough skating on TV? It's funny to see people US people complaining about the cuts on the GP broadcasts, or how they won't be watching the SPs until Nationals... because the season for us starts by the end of January with Europeans.

I forgot to address something you asked before, about American skaters not being invited to skate in Europe. What makes you think they aren't? In fact, there was an article in the Russian press a couple of months ago, where it said Plushenko had invited Kwan (and I think Cohen?) to skate in his show that took place early in October. And off the top of my head, Putnam&Wirtz and Don&Hunt skated in Artur Dmitriev's show in St. Petersburg by the end of September. And Bourne&Tchernyshev are going to be at a show in Helsinki in November.

Frankly, I don't see why an American or Canadian skater would be interested in skating in Europe. The most popular ones, especially, have opportunities to skate in front of their home public (who will receive their own skaters very well, of course). They don't need to do much traveling to skate, there's plenty of work for them in NA. And most likely, they are paid much better in Canada and America. This also helps to explain why European skaters end up skating in NA tours - because they have no job if they rely only in doing shows in Europe. If the professional circuit was as developped in Europe as it is in NA, for example, I can bet that many skaters would not be travelling to NA to skate.

Last edited: