The Skating Lesson denied media credential from USFSA | Golden Skate

The Skating Lesson denied media credential from USFSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Jenny and Dave had expressed interest in the past in going to 2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic to watch performances and conduct interviews with people in the skating community. The USFSA also had told the duo that TSL met their criteria for "credentialed media" a couple of weeks ago.

(Email addresses and contact information have been removed because I didn't want the GS automatic system to think I was advertising anything.)

From The Skating Lesson's Facebook page:

We just received this e-mail in our inbox. We spoke to Renee, as a reason was not provided in this message, and due to "space reasons" we have been denied a credential. Because every major news outlet will be covering this gigantic event in Salt Lake City... ;)
Dear Jenny and Dave,
Thank you for your interest in covering the 2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic. However, at this time, I am unable to fulfill your request for a media credential. If you would like to be provided quotes from the senior athletes following their competitive programs, please let me know.

Thanks,
Renee

Renee Felton
U.S. Figure Skating Media Relations

Dave posted this on the same page later on:
This past January, Jennifer Kirk and I poured our hearts into The Skating Lesson as a way of bringing the sport of figure skating back to the people who love it the most: the participants and fans. Dismayed by years of evaporating coverage, we launched a Youtube series aimed at raising discussing, engaging viewers and revealing the unique personalities in our sport.

Immediately, Mitch Moyer of the USFS attempted to put a stop to our show by calling each of us 15 times during the course of a 45-minute period. After many wonderful shows, interviews and experiences, it is our deep regret to inform you that U.S. Figure Skating has denied our credential to the upcoming U.S. International Figure Skating Classic due to 'space reasons.' We had lined up many interviews with athletes and coaches and planned to provide a unique behind-the-scenes look for our viewers.
(According to a 2006 news article, Mitch Moyer is the Senior Director of Athlete High Performance for the USFSA.)

I know people in this forum are very conflicted about TSL; some really like listening to their podcasts, and some think they're downright nasty. But it is a bit curious that the reason listed is "space reasons"--is the venue that small? It makes me wonder if they've denied other skating podcasts/blogs for this reason as well. What do you guys think?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
USFS tries to alienate their 2 fans left? What a joke. It's not like they are pocketing everything out of this.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
I don't often agree with what Jenny and Dave say, but if they can find room for that annoying Michael Buckley, I would imagine they could find room for these two, especially since Jenni is a former competitor.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Would love to see some of the former credentialed folks who post here on GS have to say on this subject.

ghislaine

Rinkside
I find TSL obnoxious and borderline unprofessional, but they are at least trying to bring more attention to the sport. If that puff of hot air Michael Buckley can get credentialed, they should be able to. "Space reasons," how ridiculous. Mitch Moyer sounds terribly unprofessional as well - if someone lit up my phone like that I'd call the police.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
I love the skating lesson theyr not onnoxious just fearless honesty and i love what they bring us skating fans

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
A very good decision!!! Two people less "harassing" skaters while they are trying (or should be trying) to concentrate on the competition. Personally I find those two rather annoying in their interviews. Of course it is good that they are trying to promote figure skating, but their behaviour should have been more appropriate. As a matter of fact my personal impression is that more than anything else, they are trying to promote themselves.... I´m glad that USFSA is drawing the line here.

BlackPack

Medalist
They dug their own graves with their mean girls snark. I don't know why Michael Buckley is invited to anything. He is even more obnoxious than TSL.

If they kept TSL as a hobby, then they can be as bitchy as they want. But what do they want? They want mainstream acceptance and legitimacy, and these things require professionalism. I can see they work hard, but their approach is wrong and misguided. I don't see Lease ever toning down his bitchiness or not "being himself." Kirk can actually be a mainstream journalist, but she's been sidetracked by Lease. A partnership with Lease is responsible for ruining her career. If they go mainstream, they can get sued.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Kirk can actually be a mainstream journalist, but she's been sidetracked by Lease. A partnership with Lease is responsible for ruining her career..

Agree.

Dave's previous blog went too far, and I don't think he's lived that down yet. (he outed skaters and gave out other personal information )

TSL has been more mild mannered in comparison.

Perhaps if they hadn't given Scott Hamilton enough rope to hang himself with -they might be in. You don't mess with Scott.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have mixed feelings about TSL, and am not taking sides. Am only making note of this excerpt from US Figure Skating's current media guidelines:

3. CREDENTIAL ACCEPTANCE
U.S. Figure Skating encourages all media to attend U.S. Figure Skating events. However, if there is a limitation on the number of credentials issued for a specific event, U.S. Figure Skating will consider the following criteria, in order of significance, when issuing approval:
1. Media organizations with a large daily circulation and/or a large national audience
2. Local media in the host city
3. Media outlets that attend U.S. Figure Skating events on a regular basis
4. Applications received by the deadline date
5. Figure skating specialty media​

Interesting that specialty media are ranked last on the list above.
I suppose that it's possible that Lysacek's return to major competition has generated significant mainstream media interest (USFS's press releases re the International Classic have given him top billing over Davis/White, Aaron, etc.) -- and that USFS does not have enough "space" to accommodate specialty media. [I think the issue more likely would be that USFS would not have enough media relations staff on the ground to keep an eye on everyone who applied for credentials.]

On some level, I can understand USFS's rationale for putting specialty media at the bottom of the list.
TSL, for example, caters exclusively to existing fans of skating. Bringing new fans to the sport obviously is not part of its mission. For better or worse, TSL is very much "inside baseball" -- Kirk and Lease expect viewers to understand all kinds of references and jokes that mean nothing unless you already are a hard-core fan. (Not fitting that description, I find that lots of TSL stuff goes over my head. :laugh:)

Other parts of the media guidelines might also be relevant to TSL's status. Depends on whether the explanation of "space reasons" is credible or not.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't know about skating, but this issue of denying credentials to bloggers or new media outlets is a hot one in general. A lot of speciality blogs had had to go to great extremes to make their case to get creds from city hall or the local police department, etc.

Looking at the guidelines above, it makes sense they would give creds to the big national/wire publications first since they have the biggest audience. Niche publications like TSL, while popular with skating fans, is just that, a publication aimed at a small, targeted audience (as golden911 pointed out).

Also, is there a lot of international competitors? You have to factor international media as well in the equation if that's the case.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
This is just a big mistake by the USFSA. Figure skating news coverage in the U.S. today is practically nonexistent. There are only a few mainstream news journalists (Hersh, Brennan, Barnas) who still cover figure skating outside of the Olympics. And, as Hersh has pointed out, these journalists aren't getting any younger, and there's no one set to take their place. The lack of news coverage hurts the sport. The federation should be doing everything possible to get more coverage and notice for figure skating. I find it extremely difficult to believe there is a legitimate problem with too much press at the Salt Lake event. Come on, really? This is an event that's not even on U.S. TV that I'm aware of, that received absolutely NO mainstream press coverage as I recall last year, so how can there possibly be too much press? No way, it just cannot be true. Even the return of Lysacek wouldn't drive interest from 0 to 100.

I find it far more plausible that Scott may have pressured the federation on this because he didn't like the reaction to his TSL interview. That really would not surprise me. But again, if it were true and the federation did side with Scott, it's just shortsighted on their part. Scott is still very popular and a great property for them, as shown by his keynote appearance at Champs Camp. BUT, the fact is, Scott is an old story. It's been 30 years (almost) since he won the Olympics. As interesting as it was listening to his Olympic experiences in his recent TSL interview, the detail he went into also made it clear that he is, in many ways, a relic. The competitive structure, rules, and conventions of the sport he was competing for in 1984 are now utterly and completely changed. Bottom line, the USFSA needs to look to the future, to the stars and stories of the future, not to a guy who is sort of ancient history.

I know some people have their issues with TSL and their type of news coverage, which I understand and at times even agree with, but ultimately I really believe Jenny & Dave are doing a great service by giving skaters & coaches a forum to speak and share their expertise and knowledge, and by giving fans a forum to share their opinions and learn more about skating. I feel like I've learned quite a lot just watching the 5 or 6 TSL interviews I've had time to view so far.

What Jenny & Dave are doing with TSL probably represents the future of journalism. Traditional journalism is evolving and changing and will not be the same in the future. Traditional print outlets are going away, and Internet news is and will be different. Of course Jenny & Dave are young and new and they're going to make some mistakes along the way. But overall I think they're doing a good thing and should be supported. Anyone else who feels the same way might consider emailing/contacting the USFSA to protest this recent decision, as I plan to do today.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't know about skating, but this issue of denying credentials to bloggers or new media outlets is a hot one in general. A lot of speciality blogs had had to go to great extremes to make their case to get creds from city hall or the local police department, etc.

Looking at the guidelines above, it makes sense they would give creds to the big national/wire publications first since they have the biggest audience. Niche publications like TSL, while popular with skating fans, is just that, a publication aimed at a small, targeted audience (as golden911 pointed out).

Also, is there a lot of international competitors? You have to factor international media as well in the equation if that's the case.

Agree with Mrs. P re the larger issue of credentialing new media vs. traditional media in many other scenarios -- such as the national political conventions.

Yes, skaters from nearly 20 countries will be competing in Salt Lake City. Examples:
Canada is sending some of its biggies, such as Weaver/Poje, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch.
Pechalat/Bourzat will skate too.

ETA:
Maybe not entirely unthinkable that the mixed zone and press conferences will fill up with the combination of domestic and foreign journalists. And perhaps USFS thinks it's too slippery a slope: if it credentials TSL, then the question becomes which other "new media" sites are equally deserving.​

There are only a few mainstream news journalists (Hersh, Brennan, Barnas) who still cover figure skating outside of the Olympics. And, as Hersh has pointed out, these journalists aren't getting any younger, and there's no one set to take their place. ....

As far as I can tell, TSL neither aspires nor intends to eventually take the place of a mainstream journalist like Hersh. We're talking apples and oranges.
Example:
TSL published well over 90 minutes of video (split into two parts) of its interview with Coach Tom Z. Fascinating, no doubt -- and I mean that sincerely -- to diehard skating fans. :bow:
In the same amount of time, one could probably read an entire season's worth of Hersh articles on skating.

I am not criticizing TSL for posting lengthy interviews. But they are a double-edged sword.
For some skating junkies, the TSL interviews might be "appointment viewing."
But I think that they would be ridiculously overwhelming and arcane for people who casually watch skating only every four years at the Olympics. They are not the target audience.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I don't want to talk about TSL (I have mixed feelings about it, too), but at least they're trying to promote our sport, and that's the important thing for me. As long as they follow the rules and they are not trying to do anything against the athletes/coaches/judges, they should be allowed there... The USFSA is really doing an intelligent thing :disapp:

zschultz1986

Final Flight
I don't understand this "harrassing" skaters line. If they're credentialed, they're ALLOWED to be there, and there ARE places where media are NOT allowed. So get off your high horse. Also, if you're letting the fact that two people are credentialed and are there reporting affect your skating, you're a piss poor competitor and you don't deserve to skate well. ALL Competitions EVERYWHERE are full of distractions, and it's your job as a competitor to block that extraneous stuff out.

I love how you're all conflicted about TSL... Yes, Dave was a tad immature as AJ, but he was younger, and if you'd take the time to actually go back and read through the evolution of Dave's work, it was MUCH more refined and mature by the end of AJ/the start of TSL.

I think they have been nothing but AMAZING to their guests. They're polite and give them the time to fully explain their story. They NEVER (or hardly ever) critique their interviewees when they're interviewing. BTW, Jenny and Dave didn't do S*** to Scott. He was the one who hung himself with that horrendous answer. He chose to go on that show, he chose to give that answer, so don't put that on Dave and Jenny. People aren't forced to go on their show...

I understand the criticism of their "This and That" segments... it CAN come off as snarky, but Uncle Dick was snarky, Sandra was/is sometimes snarky. It's their opinion. "This and That" is their version of the opinions page, their editorial side. You shouldn't let THAT part cloud your judgement on their interviews, which I believe, are very good in their breadth and depth.

Seriously, some of you people need to stop looking at Dave as Aunt Joyce and start looking at him as Dave Lease. Get over yourselves and look at the amazing content they are releasing.

As for TSL not getting credentialed, I find it just another strike against the USFSA in their long line of misguided decisions.

Robeye

Final Flight
I don't understand this "harrassing" skaters line. If they're credentialed, they're ALLOWED to be there, and there ARE places where media are NOT allowed. So get off your high horse. Also, if you're letting the fact that two people are credentialed and are there reporting affect your skating, you're a piss poor competitor and you don't deserve to skate well. ALL Competitions EVERYWHERE are full of distractions, and it's your job as a competitor to block that extraneous stuff out.

I love how you're all conflicted about TSL... Yes, Dave was a tad immature as AJ, but he was younger, and if you'd take the time to actually go back and read through the evolution of Dave's work, it was MUCH more refined and mature by the end of AJ/the start of TSL.

I think they have been nothing but AMAZING to their guests. They're polite and give them the time to fully explain their story. They NEVER (or hardly ever) critique their interviewees when they're interviewing. BTW, Jenny and Dave didn't do S*** to Scott. He was the one who hung himself with that horrendous answer. He chose to go on that show, he chose to give that answer, so don't put that on Dave and Jenny. People aren't forced to go on their show...

I understand the criticism of their "This and That" segments... it CAN come off as snarky, but Uncle Dick was snarky, Sandra was/is sometimes snarky. It's their opinion. "This and That" is their version of the opinions page, their editorial side. You shouldn't let THAT part cloud your judgement on their interviews, which I believe, are very good in their breadth and depth.

Seriously, some of you people need to stop looking at Dave as Aunt Joyce and start looking at him as Dave Lease. Get over yourselves and look at the amazing content they are releasing.

As for TSL not getting credentialed, I find it just another strike against the USFSA in their long line of misguided decisions.
I agree with much of this.

The question I keep going back to, though, is: what is the real reason that they were not credentialed?

-Are press facilities truly projected to be at capacity for this event? And, if that is so, did the USFSA fairly apply their own guidelines as to who got priority for credentials? And if that is also so, then TSL is just unfortunate, and better luck next time.

-If, OTOH, one or the other of these were not the case, then I would at least preliminarily conclude that there is a problem that needs to be addressed here.

96skiluvr

On the Ice

What "horrendous answer" are you talking about?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
USFS tries to alienate their 2 fans left? What a joke. It's not like they are pocketing everything out of this.

Agreed. I for one enjoy TSL. Any information provided to fans (speaking for myself) especially in
the US is a plus and Jenny and David imo have done a good job doing that.
Just saying.....

Status
Not open for further replies.