Tips for a recreational skater moving to NYC | Golden Skate

Tips for a recreational skater moving to NYC

enzofv

On the Ice
Hi!

I'll be moving to the U.S. in August for grad school, more specifically NYC. I live in Brazil and there are no ice rinks here, but I have skated abroad before, and I know I love it.

As a 23 year old male, I want to practice ice skating on a recreational but regular basis, probably starting on public sessions and maybe moving to lessons after a few weeks/months. Do you have any tips or recommendations regarding rinks/lessons/rates? I have researched a bit and here's my list:

ABE STARK RINK (Indoor)
Coney Island Boardwalk and West 19th Street
Open weekends only
Pass: $10. Rental: $5

CITY ICE PAVILLION (Indoor)
47-32 32nd Place, Long Island City
Check schedule
Pass $7-10. Rental: $6.

WORLD ICE ARENA (Indoor)
Flushing Meadows Corona Park
Lots of open skating

SKY RINK (Indoor)
Pier 61 at Chelsea Piers
Pass $12. Rental $6

THE RINK AT BROOKFIELD PLACE (Outdoor)
Three World Financial Center, 230 Vesey St
Pass $15. Rental $5.

BRYANT PARK (Outdoor)
Adults: Free
Skate Rental: $20.
Lockers are free, but locks cost $10.
Bag check is $12.00. ($15.00 for large bags)

WOLLMAN RINK (Outdoor)
Central Park
Pass $12-19. Rental $9.

I'd also appreciate tips on places to eventually buy affordable skates. That's a whoooole 'nother world that I know nothing about.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MalAssada

Medalist
I'm not of any help, but from a fellow Brazilian: Congrats for getting into grad school abroad! That's my goal in a few years, but hopefully somewhere cheaper. I don't suppose you can send me a PM telling me more of your experience?

enzofv

On the Ice
I'm not of any help, but from a fellow Brazilian: Congrats for getting into grad school abroad! That's my goal in a few years, but hopefully somewhere cheaper. I don't suppose you can send me a PM telling me more of your experience?

Of course!

RoaringMice

On the Ice
The outdoor rinks are seasonal - so only open during winter. For fun, you might try every rink that ends up being in commuting distance of where you end up living, and then decide.

Where in the city will you be living/going to school? That may make a difference in terms of which rinks you go to.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers. But again, as others have said, it's going to depend on where you are going to be living.

Ducky

On the Ice
It's going to depend upon where in the city you're located. New York is huge, uber gets expensive and the subways are falling apart and will always stop for no reason at that one point of the tunnel where there's no cell service.

Right now, I would say that Chelsea Piers or CityIce are your best bets. Despite being in Queens, CityIce is easier to get to via public transportation (if the 7's running). Chelsea Piers is about a 15 minute walk from the nearest train.

Once the outdoor rinks open in late October, Bryant Park is the easiest to get to and isn't that crowded if you go around 8am on a weekday.

I'm personally a big fan of Lakeside in Brooklyn's Prospect Park because a membership is only $125 and then the public skating sessions, skate rentals and bag checks are free. Not to oversell Lakeside, but there's also a nice adult figure skating crowd on the weekends. It also has a very pretty view. http://lakesidebrooklyn.com/

Highly recommend Westside Skate & Stick as where you should go to eventually buy skates.

jazzpants

Spectator
Bryant Park or any of the outdoor rinks really) are seasonal (so probably only available half year.) The only rink in Manhattan proper is really Chelsea Piers, but I suppose City Pavilion can be reached easily by Subway.

Chelsea Piers can be reach thru Subway and transfer to the M23 bus go across 23rd St.

Sorry I cannot recommend a place for you to get skates in that area. I actually live in San Francisco, so I have my choice of Harlick, SP Teri or Avanta factories. [emoji12][emoji23] (I visited NYC often enough to have a couple of “go-to” default coaches when I visit...)

enzofv

On the Ice
Thank you so much for your recommendations. I'll take everything into account. I'll be studying at NYU Tisch, but I don't know where I'll live yet.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Location is going to be huge. The trek from Midtown to Long Island City, you'll quickly grow tired of.

Chelsea Piers has a really comprehensive skating program, and every time I've been there I felt very welcome. The coaches seem tuned in, and it has a cool view from the ice! I wasn't terribly impressed with their on-site shop - it definitely seems hockey based, as is typical. For getting fitted in some skates of your own, I really recommend Westside Skate and Stick. The guys there are nice, they have a huge amount of inventory, and they're super knowledgeable and not pushy. They have a client base that comes back for these reasons. I certainly go back every time I'm in town.

The seasonal outdoor rinks in Central Park are way overpriced and the ice quality is insanely bad. Good for novelty only. Though I do like to take Jojo Starbuck's adult morning classes at Rockefeller :biggrin:

Sorry I don't know anything about not-Manhattan!

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I am partial to Sky Rink if only because that's where I skated as a child growing up in Manhattan.

Since things have changed so much from the 80's, I suggest you find out which rinks have strong adult skating programs/communities. As an adult, its a lot nicer to know that there are lots of other adults that you are skating with. As others have said, where you will be living is also a factor (and how far you are willing to travel).

Sam L

Medalist
The ice at Wollmann Rink and Rockefellar are really bad but the views... stunning! :D

fytong

Rinkside
I skate at Chelsea Piers Sky Rink and would be happy to give you any tips on coaches! I live in Manhattan, so Sky Rink is by far the most convenient to get to.

guitarist

On the Ice
I also skate at Chelsea Piers. It's basically your only option within easy reach in Manhattan. There's a lot of coaches there, and they're all very nice. Public skate gets busy during the winter, but it's much better during the summer. If you're buying your own skates, I agree with all the other posters about WestSide Skate & Stick. David's a good fitter, try to get him to do your fitting if you can.

There's also a good number of adult skaters, though the more experienced ones tend to stick to the freestyle sessions. In my experience, most people there are really nice. You'll have fun!