To the person posting as god | Golden Skate

To the person posting as god

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I find your posts offensive, mainly because of the name you have chosen to give them. I will not dignify anything you have said with a response.

When I first posted on GoldenSkate, I felt like I had found a sane place on the internet to discuss figure skating opinons.

Your posts have thoroughly turned me off, as I'm sure was your intent. Just what the heck is your agenda anyway?

Are "God's" posts the norm for GoldenSkate? What do the board administrators think?

DG

G

God

What do you have against God? I'm just a figure skating fan, too. Your problem may be an existential one beyond the scope of what forum moderators can do.

shine

Record Breaker
So the whole place is no longer sane because someone happens to post under the name God? LOL :laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
blasphemy

\Blas"phe*my\, n. [L. blasphemia, Gr. ?: cf. OF. blasphemie.] 1. An indignity offered to God in words, writing, or signs; impiously irreverent words or signs addressed to, or used in reference to, God; speaking evil of God; also, the act of claiming the attributes or prerogatives of deity.

It may be offensive to some poster's religious beliefs. IMO it would be better to choose another name than risk offending someone in that way. As with previous threads why insult or offend other posters and their beliefs? Intelligent, articulate people can still manage to be entertaining with their posts without disrespecting other forum members.

Piel

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Piel said:
blasphemy

Intelligent, articulate people can still manage to be entertaining with their posts without disrespecting other forum members.
Piel

I think it is not the best way to handle this kind of matter by starting an off-topic thread about a poster whose name offends. The intelligent way would have been to contact the poster in question and to discuss the matter privately first. After that one could contact a moderator.

BTW, also I think that "god" is not an appropriate name for a poster to use. (Just a reply to the comments by other posters.)

Marjaana

Last edited:

CassidyL

Rinkside
Jaana said:
I think it is not the best way to handle this kind of matter by starting an off-topic thread about a poster whose name offends. The intelligent way would have been to contact the poster in question and to discuss the matter privately first. After that one could contact a moderator.

ITA This is something that should be discussed privately between poster and moderators. I don't see the point of posting this publically. I also don't understand why it is posting here and not in the Café if you feel you must go public.

As to commenting on how I feel about someone's handle, I'll only comment on anything about another poster if asked by the administration of the board, otherwise, I think it's inappropriate.

AdultSkater

Match Penalty
A sense of humor

Good morning Doggygirl!

My opinion is that a sense of humor and a tongue-in-cheek attitude when it comes to internet message boards such as this is necessary to be able to enjoy as much of the posts as possible.

Besides, Doggygirl, "g-o-d" looked at another way is just

"d - o - g".

:laugh:

AS

Doggygirl - I understand your concerns, however, I think you should have followed the method outlined by Jaana in this thread. The Edge, btw, should be for skating related topics only.
I have alerted the moderators and we will make a decision on this shortly.

Joesitz

windspirit

On the Ice
Maybe the problem lies not in the handle they use, but in their thinking they are God. ;)

I personally don't find the nick offensive, but then again, I'm not religious. Pushing the religion on me, even if fake, well, the could get a little tiring, but there's always the ignore feature for that. I find it rather funny that some people just have to use controversy to be noticed, as if they didn't have a choice.

Spark

Rinkside
Re: A sense of humor

AdultSkater said:
Good morning Doggygirl!

My opinion is that a sense of humor and a tongue-in-cheek attitude when it comes to internet message boards such as this is necessary to be able to enjoy as much of the posts as possible.

Besides, Doggygirl, "g-o-d" looked at another way is just

"d - o - g".

:laugh:

AS

I totally agree. I don't think this poster is trying to offend anyone. I find these posts amusing, and I know a few strongly religious people (including a former nun) who would agree with me. No one is truly "claiming the attributes or perogatives of deity", since "god" is not trying to make anyone truly BELIEVE he or she really IS God. This poster has never come out and insulted anyone's beliefs, or even implied that a true higher power does not exist. It's just playing around.

God, if you are forced by these non-believers to post under a different name, I think the forum www.fsuniverse.net would be more accepting toward a deity. ;)

windspirit

On the Ice
Re: Re: A sense of humor

Spark said:
God, if you are forced by these non-believers to post under a different name, I think the forum www.fsuniverse.net would be more accepting toward a deity. ;)
If I remember correctly, "God" didn't make an impression he desired there, either (even though he used a different name, but still telling enough). That's why I think we should be nicer to him. God, need a hug? ;)

Spark

Rinkside
Re: Re: Re: A sense of humor

windspirit said:
If I remember correctly, "God" didn't make an impression he desired there, either (even though he used a different name, but still telling enough). That's why I think we should be nicer to him. God, need a hug? ;)

My, now I'm appalled! What is this world coming to?? Where are the believers??

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I enjoy humor as much as anyone, but I was raised that you don't make jokes about someone's religion. It surprises me that there seems to be more concern that board etiquette was not followed than there is that someone is choosing to call themself God. If you read the posts you will see that it is not just using the name.

Piel

G

God

Don't cry for me, Golden Skate. As long as I'm honored on US (the best damn country in the whole wide world) dollar bills, and people continue to sacrifice squirrels in my name, I'll be A-OK.

G

God

Piel said:
I enjoy humor as much as anyone, but I was raised that you don't make jokes about someone's religion. It surprises me that there seems to be more concern that board etiquette was not followed than there is that someone is choosing to call themself God. If you read the posts you will see that it is not just using the name.
Wait, wait, hold up! What the dealy yo? (Yes, I'm hip, too!) People can go around demanding/claiming that I'm blessing this and damning that, but I can't speak up? Do I have to crouch inside a burning bush every time I feel like talking? Yeesh!

Spark

Rinkside
Why shouldn't people make jokes about religion? People can hold deep and serious beliefs about something and still have fun with it. Having fun with an idea isn't necessarily putting it down. People who have written parodies about books or songs often admit to admiring the work they have parodied. A ridiculously silly parody of LOTR called "Bored of the Rings" was written and published by two young guys who must have loved the original work, considering the detail in the parody. And many Tolkien fans thought the parody was funny, even though they thought LOTR had serious spiritual and philosophical meaning for them. Sometimes I like a certain song, but I also laugh at a parody of it. Playing around with something doesn't have to be an insult to it.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Because some of us believe that it is a sin and that you will go to hell for it. I realize that not all believe this but for those who do it is very offensive.

G

God

Saying God will go to Hell is more offensive, especially to me. Oy vey. Someone should do to this thread what I did to the Garden of Eden: Close it!