Top 10 of all time per event post Pyeonchang | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Top 10 of all time per event post Pyeonchang

supersloane

Rinkside
Plushyfan,

Good lord, you are salty. I don't think any Yagudin fan would ever dispute the talent or longevity of Plushenko. Nor do I think that any Yagudin fan would dispute that he is immensely popular and still draws a crowd (Art on Ice is a great example). HOWEVER... the lack of grace that you have towards Yagudin and his fans is simply absurd and ultimately over the top.

While Plushenko's style isn't to my liking, I'm not going to expound such a tremendous amount of energy to talk smack about him because ultimately, speaking negatively about him is merely a waste of my time. I respect his longevity and what he brought to the sport but it's his fans who are so offputting and your posts in this thread are precisely the kind of reason why.

In short... move on. Such anger and rage isn't good for the health.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With the Olympics now behind us and people like Hanyu and Savchenko setting historic marks what is now your top 10 of all time in each event. Mine would be.

Ladies:

1. Kim- Still the GOAT with Medvedeva's failure to win Olympic Gold.
2. Witt- Best competitive record ever.
3. Henie- Still only women with 3 Olympic Golds.
4. Lynn- Best artistic skater ever.
5. Ito- Best jumper ever.
6. Asada
7. Yamaguchi- Best pro career ever, along with amazing amateur career, ultimate professional.
8. Medvedeva- Failure to win Olympic Gold drops her from 1st to 7th.
9. Zagitova- Already the strongest overall technical skater ever.
10. Kostner, Slutskaya, Kwan- 3 way tie for last spot

Ito remains the strongest technical skater ever. Kim a better jumper than Zag, even without the 3loop. Irina tied with Michelle? In what universe? And Kim in competition with Med for GOAT? Really? Let's see if Med even survives to get to a second Olympics. Witt shouldn't even be on the list unless the list is the most gold medals. Same with Henie, although her contributions to the sport are undeniable. I can't pick a GOAT, but among retired skaters the best are Kwan, Kim, Asada, Ito, with honorable mention to Janet Lynn who skated before the triple jump era but still has the best skating skills.

ETA: And Henie has a better competitive record than Witt: 3 Olympic golds and 10(!) World Championships.

gotoschool

Medalist
No. Mao never had clean edges but was beautiful to watch. Kwan was lovely but average. She was the ethalon of the time when reputaion mattered a lot. She disappeared when quality of technique ( full rotations, edges etc.) started to be awarded.

The idea that Mao doesn't have clean edges is erroneous and contradictory when a heat map of her Sochi LP is compared to other skaters and it is clearly seen that Mao had the most ice coverage (indicating that greatest speed) with few crossovers and the most erect posture and when she is able to do such rapid change of directions smoothly when such impressive dance moves in her step sequences. The cleanest not unclean edges are necessarily for the greatest speed while maintaining erect posture.

Mao's ice coverage to all four corners of the rink done quickly with jump placement:
https://ibb.co/iUxyoS
https://ibb.co/mPfXXn
https://ibb.co/chRWsn

Yuna Kim's rink coverage and jump placement: https://ibb.co/b7ti57

Carolina Kostner: https://ibb.co/g0st57

Adelina Sotnikova: https://ibb.co/jYq7Xn

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Your war is funny, dear Plushyfan!! :luv17:

Yes, Evgeni Victorovich is " too good" thus he has many invitations in the greatest shows even today.
In 2012 and 2014? What a busy skater!
You say "even today" about Evgeni who is younger, who said only not long ago, that he wasn't going to skate in Pyeonchang. (finally)

I say: even in 2014 (more than 10 years after Yagudin's career in sport was over) Yuna Kim invited Yagudin for encore, in 2014 Plushenko's agent was organising the show for Denis Ten and for his friend Yagudin. These are just examples. :coffee:

He couldn't live without the money what he earns with it in Averbukh shows
Yagudin didn't try to stop skating yet. He tried new jobs only when he had some free time. "Don't say, if you don't know," - the Russians say in such a case.

You listen only to yourself.
Your war is funny!!! :luv17:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
This will be hard to choose, but I'll give it a shot!

Ladies:
1. Cohen
2. Hughes
3. Slutskaya
4. Sokolova
5. Kwan
6. Wagner
7. Kostner
8. Medvedeva
9. Rochette
10. Asada
(Honorable mentions: Zagitova, Sotnikova, Ando, Arakawa, Tennell, Kirk, Osmond, Daleman)

Men:
1. Lysacek
2. Aaron
3. Rippon
4. Bradley
5. Buttle
6. Lambiel
7. Fernandez
8. Chen
9. Yagudin
10. Chan
(Honorable mentions: Brown, Weiss, Goebel, Takahashi, Joubert, Weir, Uno)

Pairs:
1. Sale/ Pelletier
2. Shen/ Zhao
3. Totmianina/ Marinin
4. Ina/ Zimmerman
5. Duhamel/ Radford
6. Pang/ Tong
7. Savchenko/ Szolkowy
8. Savchenko/ Massot
9. Volosozhar/ Trankov
10. Inoue/ Baldwin

Dance:
1. Belbin/ Agosto
2. Virtue/ Moir
3. Davis/ White
4. Navka/ Kostomarov
5. Bourne/ Kraatz
6. Denkova/ Staviski
7. Shibutani/ Shibutani
8. Hubbell/ Donohue
9. Chock/ Bates
10. Lobacheva/ Averbukh

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I love Yagudin. He's still my favourite of all time. I love Yuzu too, and, yes he's managed more than yagudin did if you only count Olympics. As did Plushenko. I think Plushenko was one of the greats, But, sorry, he bored me after a while. All his skates seemed the same. Yagudin's never did. Nor have Yuzu's, even if I still like Yagudin better. Sorry, just the way it is. And about furthering the sport? I think they both did, if only through their fascinating rivalry!

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
Since I've only followed the Ladies:

1. Kim
2. Kwan
3. Witt
4. Ito
5. Asada
6. Yamaguchi
7. Kostner
8. Medvedeva
9. Zagitova
10. Slutskaya

Honorable Mentions: Henie, Lynn, Hamill, and Zayak

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushyfan,

Good lord, you are salty. I don't think any Yagudin fan would ever dispute the talent or longevity of Plushenko. Nor do I think that any Yagudin fan would dispute that he is immensely popular and still draws a crowd (Art on Ice is a great example). HOWEVER... the lack of grace that you have towards Yagudin and his fans is simply absurd and ultimately over the top.

While Plushenko's style isn't to my liking, I'm not going to expound such a tremendous amount of energy to talk smack about him because ultimately, speaking negatively about him is merely a waste of my time. I respect his longevity and what he brought to the sport but it's his fans who are so offputting and your posts in this thread are precisely the kind of reason why.

In short... move on. Such anger and rage isn't good for the health.

Am I salty??? You are relatively a new poster I'm a member of this forum since 2012. Probably no one can say one! example when I was rude, unjust with a skater, when I attacked a skater. I like and respect every skater and athlete because they deserve it if all skaters aren't my favorite. Plushenko fans most of the time are very kind toward the other skaters. You say I lack of grace when I talked about Yagudin....no, I was brutal sincere and that is very unusual connect with Yagudin. Everything is right everything happened what I mentioned. What can not be trusted for you? I don't like Yagudin and probably I won't forgive him what he did against Plushenko in 2014. What he did that is minimum "lack of grace" but it would be better if I write that was "over the top" in every normal human relationships.

Thank you my health is OK.

trevortryst

Match Penalty
Ladies

1. Yu Na Kim- Really won 2 Olympic Golds (don't care what the official results say in this case, Sochi was biggest farce ever), won the short or long program 8 times at worlds, and GPF 3 times. Total dominance at deepest time ever for ladies skating by far with fellow legends Asada and Kostner, 2 time World Champion Ando, Rochette, and many others.

2. Mao Asada- If Kim is #1, Asada has to be #2. Would be an Olympic Gold and silver medalist without stupid age rule, as she clearly is the 2006 winner had she competed. 3 time World and 4 time GPF champion at again deepest time for ladies skating ever. Complete technical and artist.

3. Katarina Witt- Best record in modern times. Arguably the best artistic skater and competitor ever.

4. Sonja Henie- Best record ever, even if in time of absolutely no depth or competition standard.

5. Herma Plack Szabo- Contemporary of Henie who won 5 straight worlds and Olympics in singles, and multiple titles in pairs. Beat Henie for 25 and 26 titles when Henie was already one of the top, and should have in 27 without 3 Norwegian judges.

6. Carol Heiss- best U.S skater ever with 5 straight world titles, Olympic Gold, Olympic Silver.

7. Kristi Yamaguchi- Also arguably the best U.S skater ever with Olympic and 2 worlds all back to back, then the best pro career ever.

8. Midori Ito- Still probably the best jumper ever.

9. Trixi Schuba- Still possibly best pure artist ever.

10. Dorothy Hamill- Probably best pure skater ever.

It was hard to leave off Kostner, Slutskaya, Kwan, Fleming, but there just wasn't enough room for everyone.

Men

1. Hanyu- Pyeongchang, particularly doing that injured, pretty much sealed it.

2. Button- the only one who has a real argument against Hanyu still IMO.

3. Curry- most artistic skater ever.

4. Yagudin- an amazing and dominant champion.

5. Plushenko- he and Yagudin have to be almost back to back obviously.

6. Cranston- if Curry is #3, Cranston cant be far behind, an equal artist and revolutionary of the sport at the same time.

7. Cousins

8. Boitano

9. Chan- Perhaps best quality edges ever.

10. Browning/Fernandez- Both have to be top 10 so I have to tie them.

It was hard to leave off Lambiel, Takahashi, Jenkins brothers, Petrenko, Orser but again I ran out of room.

Pairs and dance are harder.

Dance

1. Virtue & Moir

2. Klimova & Ponomarenko

3. Torvill & Dean

4. Gritschuk & Platov

5. Anissina & Peizerat

6. Papadakis & Cizeron

7. Davis & White

8. Krylova & Ovsiannikov

9. Usova & Zhulin

10. Duchensays

Pairs

1. Gordeeva & Grinkov

2. Protopopov & Protopopov

3. Rodnina & Zaitsev

4. Underhill & Martini- probably a high ranking but best pro team ever.

5. Volosozhar & Trankov- short career but they shone brightly and were almost unbeatable.

6. Miskutienok & Dmitriev

7. Totmianina & Marinin

8. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze- were screwed by judges and politics often in favor of overrated/overscored teams like Sale & Pelletier and Shen & Zhao.

9. Savchenko & Massot- can be higher if they continue to excel/achieve.

10. Sui & Han

It was hard to leave off Savchenko & Szolkowy, Shen & Zhao, Rodnina & Ulanov, Valova & Vassiliev, Wagner & Paul but I ran out of room, even though all those are top 10 worthy

trevortryst

Match Penalty
Ito remains the strongest technical skater ever. Kim a better jumper than Zag, even without the 3loop. Irina tied with Michelle? In what universe? And Kim in competition with Med for GOAT? Really? Let's see if Med even survives to get to a second Olympics. Witt shouldn't even be on the list unless the list is the most gold medals. Same with Henie, although her contributions to the sport are undeniable. I can't pick a GOAT, but among retired skaters the best are Kwan, Kim, Asada, Ito, with honorable mention to Janet Lynn who skated before the triple jump era but still has the best skating skills.

ETA: And Henie has a better competitive record than Witt: 3 Olympic golds and 10(!) World Championships.

Ito is probably still the best jumper ever but I have a hard time considering her the best overall technical skater ever when her spins after 88 or 89 were mediocre, her footwork too, and spirals were always weak, and basic skating (despite the speed) just ok.

I agree Kim is clearly a better jumper than Zagitova or Medvedeva though. 2nd best jumper ever after Ito, and maybe the best technical skater ever.

Witt certainly belongs near the top. Dominant champion in one of the deepest eras ever. Her athleticsm for the time is underrated given how her career ended. In her early years she was the first women to ever land a triple flip, and was pushing the technical envelope of ladies jump, along with Zayak (and Biellmann but she retired quickly, and Zayak mostly did it just by triple toes, not doing a lot of different triples done with height like Witt). Certainly in her early years she was more of a technical leader or evolutionary than say Michelle Kwan ever was, so her reputation of just being a great artistic skater is unfair.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
3 of the best ladies ever, who overcame their personal circumstances and have been examples for me, in a lifetime of sport, in order of their era are...

1. Liz Manley

2. Joannie Rochette

3. Kaetlyn Osmond

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I'm a member of this forum since 2012. Probably no one can say one! example when I was rude, unjust with a skater, when I attacked a skater. I like and respect every skater and athlete because they deserve it if all skaters aren't my favorite. Plushenko fans most of the time are very kind toward the other skaters. You say I lack of grace when I talked about Yagudin....no, I was brutal sincere and that is very unusual connect with Yagudin. Everything is right everything happened what I mentioned. What can not be trusted for you? I don't like Yagudin and probably I won't forgive him what he did against Plushenko in 2014. What he did that is minimum "lack of grace" but it would be better if I write that was "over the top" in every normal human relationships.

2014? It is Evgeni's problem, that Evgeni was saying he was going to skate only in the team event. Alexei was surprised and gave a link to Evgeni's words.
And etc.
Evgeni's problems have nothing to do with this thread and... with the most of other threads, to say the truth. It is weird, that you think you respect anyone here.

Have a nice day, Plushyfan! Have many nice days!!! :luv17:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
2014? It is Evgeni's problem, that Evgeni was saying he was going to skate only in the team event. Alexei was surprised and gave a link to Evgeni's words.
And etc.
Evgeni's problems have nothing to do with this thread and... with the most of other threads, to say the truth. It is weird, that you think you respect anyone here.

Have a nice day, Plushyfan! Have many nice days!!! :luv17:

Hmmmm.....You don't say the truth and don't say the whole story. ;) Very smart . But I don't want to ruin Yagudin's image more with the naked truths. In 2014 after these happenenings Evgeni said Yagudin doesn't exist for him. But last months he mentioned him as " Lyosha" again in interviews and that was positive as always if he mentioned his training partner and great rival..Maybe he will forgive it to him.
Yes, I respect every athlete.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is interesting question...I'm not sure how one would judge it subjectively!

But here's my totally biased list

Men:
1. Plushy - because IMO he is figure skating to me! Plus his longevity in the sport was incredible, right to the end his jumps were solid and while others can disagree I totally love his artistry! Whenever I watch a Plushy program I never get bored or distracted by something else. :biggrin:
2. Yuzu - He brings skating to a new level! An amazing competitor and I really love the different programs he's tried, from classical music, to Japanese music, to Prince!
3. I wanna give a shout-out to Jackson Haines who admittedly I've never seen skate, but I decided to look at who was behind modern figure skating and Wikipedia tells me this is the guy! Without him we wouldn't have skating as it is today, so much respect. Also check out the costume in the link there!
4. Stephane Lambiel - he might not have had the 3A, but his spins and the excellency thereof can't be denied! I'm really happy he's coaching the new generation of awesome spinners!
5. Dick Button - inventor of the Button Camel and the first to do a double axel! He pushed the sport forward and also has the honour of winning the European Championships...despite the notable fact he isn't actually European!
6. Kurt Browning - Owner of the first ratified Quad Toe in competition! Also superbly artistic, his Singin' in The Rain ex is a sight to see.
7. Javier Fernadez - An inspiring skater! From failing to make the free skate in both Euros and Worlds in his first season skating (2006-2007) to being at the top less than a decade later, Javi's journey is worthy of a movie!
8. Yags - He's a four time World Champion and while I don't find his skating as watchable as Plushy's he was part of pushing the sport forward and it's interesting to see how he progressed artistically over his career.
9. Brian Joubert - He was the first man to land 100 quads in recognised ISU competitions, I also really liked his artistry too, he had some unique programs and costumes.
10. Axel Paulsen creator of the beloved axel jump! He competing in speed skating as well and in fact performed the first axel wearing speed skates!

Ladies
1. Mao Asada - An amazing combination of technique and artistry with her 3As and totally boss step sequences!
2. Madge Syers - A total boss, when she started competing there was no ladies division in the World Championships, so she went in the men's event and won silver (it probably should have been gold)! She won gold in the Ladies events at the 1908 Olympics and also skated in pairs!
3. Irina Slutskaya - Because she's fab with the Double Beillmann and the unitard at Torino. Plus the fact she came back from a very serious illness and got back on top is epic.
4. Liza Tuk - At least 2014-2015 Liza, although I still think she's awesome. But her 3A was so solid for that one season and she won it all!
5. Katarina Witt - Amazing performer.
6. Zhenya Med - I didn't actually like her that much when she first started out, but she's really grown on me, and I think her programs are well-constructed - although sometimes the music selection leaves a lot to be desired!
7. Michelle Kwan - Amazing legacy, not to mention a 5 times World Champion. She also did a guest voice on The Simpsons and that was pretty cool :laugh:
8. Sonja Heine - Changed the face of figure skating, moving the focus onto ladies skating, which is pretty impressive.
9. Kim Yuna - Lovely skater and the record holder of SP, FS and total score for ages.
10. Carolina Kostner - Longevity and amazing artistry!

Alas I don't know enough about pairs really so can only give 5.

Pairs
1. The Protopopovs - Historic couple, Wikipedia tells me they came up with three death spiral variations! They also won their Olympic Gold medal at 32 and 35, respect!
2. G/G - the epitome of pairs skating, even today their programs are breath-taking, beautiful skaters.
3. Shen Xue/Zhao Hongbo - Despite the fact they were (unfairly a lot of the time) judged as not as artistic as the other pairs since the came from China they kept on competiting becoming World and finally Olympic Champions! They also attempted the Quad Sal Throw at Salt Lake was totally gutsy and Shen almost had it!
4. Aliona and Robin/Bruno - Aliona's obviously the star, but her partners are also incredible, Aliona has really pushed the limits in pairs skating and it seems she wants to continue!
5. Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov - I was looking at their programs from when the first paired up and wow! They kicked butt straight away! Also their triple twist was huuuge.

(I also hope to one day add Katia and Harley to the list! They're all ready trailblazing!)

I know even less about Dance so here's my top three

1. Torville and Dean - Self-explanatory
2. Virtue and Moir - Their lifts are out of this world!
3. Davis and White - They had some great programs, the Bollywood one especially caught my eye!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
What? You weren't living in Vienna in the 1860s? :)

All these time travellers, wasting their time with meeting their parents as kids or stopping the assassination of presidents, when they could go and watch the beginnings of figure skating in real time!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What? You weren't living in Vienna in the 1860s? :)

All these time travellers, wasting their time with meeting their parents as kids or stopping the assassination of presidents, when they could go and watch the beginnings of figure skating in real time!

:laugh: That didn't quite come out as planned.

But rest assured if I ever did discover the secrets of time travel I'd be right there to see the birth of figure skating! ;)