Totmianina condition "good" | Golden Skate

Totmianina condition "good"

Kasey

Medalist
According to the Pittsburgh paper this morning, Tatiana Totmianina is in "good" condition, which is the best "level" you can be if you are in the hospital (if you are above "good", you're discharged home). She has a concussion and apparantly several broken ribs. A terrible thing, but so much better than the more serious head or neck injuries that onlookers were worried about last night (including me and all I was sitting with). I hope she will recover sufficiently so they won't lose too much of the season. But, seeing such a horrific thing, it sets your sense of priorities a little different. So Joubert had some stumbles. So Miki had two falls. How much do those things matter, compared to what could have been life/death, or life/serious debility? I don't care how many mistakes I saw at this, my first live competition. I am just grateful to ALL the skaters, who brought so much pleasure, excitement, and joy to my world over the last few days.

To any skater, of any level, who is reading this....THANK YOU.

Kasey

Antilles

Medalist
Thanks for the update. The broken ribs will take her out of commission for a while, but I hope she makes a spedy recovery.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks for the update Kasey...

It must have been horrible to see that happen in the arena. I'm glad to hear that the injuries weren't any worse. You really give an interesting perspective on just appreciating the entertainment and joy of every skate, without regard to mistakes and things. A solid reminder just how dangerous this sport really is, and how much appreciation we should have for those who are competing, and subsequently entertaining us.

Have a safe trip home!!

DG

Hikaru

Final Flight
Thank God!

I'm so glad to hear that her condition is good. I could hardly sleep well last night, and every time I woke up, my mind went to them, and praying she was OK. It is true, this incident definitely puts a harsh perspective on the sport, and I am gratefull for all those skaters that give their best on the rink. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I am relieved

I am glad to read the updates about Tatiana's condition, I was just soo afraid that it could be a lot worst. The accident looked very bad, she was not moving at all, while she was on the ice.
I never witnessed such a horrible accident, I hope I will never will again.

Herios - Joseph

:)

shine

Record Breaker
((((((((Tatiana)))))))))!!! Thank GOD she's okay. I hope she recovers well!!

Ninjagirl

Rinkside
I was so scared when I read about the accident. I actually started to cry infront of my computer and I don't know how I would've reacted if I'd been there and seen it happen "live".

Tatiana is one of my absolute favorite athletes and I basically adore her. I prey that she will recover and be OK soon.

I really hope that they will be able to contine to compete again next year.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Oh my, that fall was horrific! I am glad that she didn't fall directly on her head, though....it looks like her body took the hardest hit (thus the broken ribs). Anyway, I am also glad she is okay. They were so impressive last year and I was looking forward to seeing them evolve. I wish them the best of luck. Just imagine the support they will get from that Russian crowd at the Moscow Worlds!

Antilles

Medalist
Just saw the ABC footage. What a freak accident. It looks like he just lost his footing. It's amazing how much damage one slip can do. It looks like she hit the side of her head and torso at the same time. Double ouch.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I saw the footage of her fall, wow, she really smacked the ice. To end up with a concussion and cracked ribs after that was lucky, I guess. I am wondering if she'll want to do that particular lift again!!! 42

That fall was horrific! Just watching it on tv took my breath away.
((((Tatiana)))) Get Better Soon!

Like Bronzeisgolden said, the only thing that saved her was that she fell more on the side of her head and body. If she had hit straight on her forehead, or the back of her head, she likely would have been killed.

Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide not to compete any more this year.

Mathman

mpal2

Final Flight
I think the fractured ribs is a rumor. The only official reports I've seen so far mention a concussion and say that she will have to rest for 10 days. They will start light training after that and see how she is doing.

S

SkateFan4Life

All the best to Tatiana for a quick, speedy recovery. What a horrific crash! :cry:
Thank heavens she wasn't injured any more seriously. The shocked look on her partner, as well as the fans in that section of the arena, told it all. Seeing Tatiana carried off the ice and transported to the local hospital certainly brought home the fact that figure skating, while a beautiful sport, is also a potentially dangerous one.

Kasey

Medalist
mpal2 said:
I think the fractured ribs is a rumor. The only official reports I've seen so far mention a concussion and say that she will have to rest for 10 days. They will start light training after that and see how she is doing.

sorry...was just reporting what was in the Sunday newspaper here in Pittsburgh. It would appear that it was inaccurate...I'm glad.

Kasey

mpal2

Final Flight
Kasey,

I'm glad too. She has enough to deal with by just having bruising and a concussion. :)