Trying to narrow down brands--adult beginner | Golden Skate

Trying to narrow down brands--adult beginner

stayingonmytoes

Spectator
Country
United-States
Hi everyone!

New to the forum and skating and finding myself in need of some guidance--apologies for yet another fit thread :oops:

I’m interested in purchasing my own skates but unfortunately we don’t have a skate shop in town. There’s one coach at my rink who can fit Jacksons, so that’s an option but beyond that I’d have to travel. That being said, I’d like to make it worth my while and maybe narrow down which shop to visit based on the brands they carry that might work for me (and maybe which to avoid?)

As I mentioned, I’m super new to skating—only in Adult 1 of Learn to Skate (though we are also learning Adult 2 skills), but I’d like my own skates because I feel like the rentals are misleading in regards to balance, etc. (since they don’t seem to have much of a rocker). Previously I’ve done a lot of roller-skating and roller-blading, and I’m also a ballet dancer, all of which have helped me feel fairly comfortable on the ice (for now, haha!)

Stats: I’m 5’6” (167 cm), about 177 lbs (80kg). My toes are tapered and short. I’m wider at the ball, and my foot curves out a little on the outside edge below my pinky toes before coming back in and tapering to my heel. Arch is normal/medium, and my foot is on the thicker side (high profile). My feet are kind of weird in that they spread out when my full weight is on them…if that makes sense? For pointe shoes, my fitter always called this “octopus” feet because they can squish into narrow spaces, but they look wide when I’m standing. Not sure if that’s a problem for skates like it is in pointe shoes!

Some rudimentary measurements in case that helps more than my poor description!
R foot= 9 9/16” (24.3 cm) long; 9 4/16” ball circumference
L foot= 9 6/16” (23.8 cm) long, 9 6/16” ball circumference
(if other measurements are helpful, please let me know).

If we aren’t able to narrow things down based on my description, any guidance on decent shops would help too! I’m in northern Nevada (USA), so Roseville, CA is a fairly easy trip. Southern CA is a possibility via a quick plane trip (if I can find a cheap one). Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:

stayingonmytoes

Spectator
Country
United-States
Alternate question (I've been digging through various threads but am only making myself more confused)--

Is there a minimum level of boot stiffness you all would suggest for a beginning adult in the 80 kg range? I know the brands have different ways to measure this, but if anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it! (Or maybe point me to the best section of the comparison chart on Kinzie's? The different brands seem lumped together by stiffness there.)

I reached out to one shop and right off the bat they said they typically recommend the Jackson Mystique or Elle for adult beginners (they didn't ask about my stats). Based on some other threads I've read on this forum, though, the Mystique in particular seems really light?

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Welcome to the forum!! :)

I agree with you - the Mystique might be a bit too soft to really give you good support when you're up to some more advanced skills. I'm closer to 90kg, and I started out in the GAM Concept, which was basically a re-labeled version of the Jackson Marquis. Both are discontinued now, but they'd be about on par with the Jackson Artiste in terms of stiffness. I upgraded to the Jackson Debut when I was at Adult 6 / Pre-Freeskate.

The Elle would probably be fine for what you're doing now - though if you went with the Freestyle, you could get a longer life out of them, at the price of maybe a longer break-in period (they could take you up through waltz jumps and probably beginning singles). This is all assuming Jackson is the right fit for you (I'm not an expert, but Jacksons do tend to be a decent fit for folks who have wide feet!). A fitter could point you in the right direction if there's another brand that might fit you better.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone!

New to the forum and skating and finding myself in need of some guidance--apologies for yet another fit thread :oops:

I’m interested in purchasing my own skates but unfortunately we don’t have a skate shop in town. There’s one coach at my rink who can fit Jacksons, so that’s an option but beyond that I’d have to travel. That being said, I’d like to make it worth my while and maybe narrow down which shop to visit based on the brands they carry that might work for me (and maybe which to avoid?)

As I mentioned, I’m super new to skating—only in Adult 1 of Learn to Skate (though we are also learning Adult 2 skills), but I’d like my own skates because I feel like the rentals are misleading in regards to balance, etc. (since they don’t seem to have much of a rocker). Previously I’ve done a lot of roller-skating and roller-blading, and I’m also a ballet dancer, all of which have helped me feel fairly comfortable on the ice (for now, haha!)

Stats: I’m 5’6” (167 cm), about 177 lbs (80kg). My toes are tapered and short. I’m wider at the ball, and my foot curves out a little on the outside edge below my pinky toes before coming back in and tapering to my heel. Arch is normal/medium, and my foot is on the thicker side (high profile). My feet are kind of weird in that they spread out when my full weight is on them…if that makes sense? For pointe shoes, my fitter always called this “octopus” feet because they can squish into narrow spaces, but they look wide when I’m standing. Not sure if that’s a problem for skates like it is in pointe shoes!

Some rudimentary measurements in case that helps more than my poor description!
R foot= 9 9/16” (24.3 cm) long; 9 4/16” ball circumference
L foot= 9 6/16” (23.8 cm) long, 9 6/16” ball circumference
(if other measurements are helpful, please let me know).

If we aren’t able to narrow things down based on my description, any guidance on decent shops would help too! I’m in northern Nevada (USA), so Roseville, CA is a fairly easy trip. Southern CA is a possibility via a quick plane trip (if I can find a cheap one). Thanks, everyone!
Definitely find a fitter who can professionally fit you, not the coach btw.

Jackson and Risport would probably work best with your foot description and needs. You're also going to need a stiffer boot based on your body volume and that you are an adult. Risport RF3 Pro, Jackson Premiere or Elite 5300. Pair them with a good intermediate blade either MK Professional or John Wilson Coronation Ace.

Good luck!

ETA: I am sending you a DM with names of good fitting pros.

Last edited:

stayingonmytoes

Spectator
Country
United-States
Thank you both so much for your insights! They have really helped clarify things for me--I appreciate it :)

I did talk to the coach (before I saw your message, Ic3Rabbit), but it was more a chat than anything. She did look at my foot and wasn't sure if a Jackson would work because of my toe taper--e.g. I'd have some space in the toe box because of how Jacksons are shaped. She also said that I'm fairly even throughout my foot to my heel (shows what I know--I am wider at the ball when standing, though), so a Jackson might be a no-go anyway. She did say maybe a Risport or Edea, but she wasn't sure and definitely thought I should travel and try things on, which is my plan once I figure out where to go (thank you for the names, Ic3Rabbit!)

I do have to admit that I am feeling a little discouraged learning that I will probably need to spend over $700 for boots+blades--for my first pair of skates ever! Not to mention travel costs. 😥

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you both so much for your insights! They have really helped clarify things for me--I appreciate it :)

I did talk to the coach (before I saw your message, Ic3Rabbit), but it was more a chat than anything. She did look at my foot and wasn't sure if a Jackson would work because of my toe taper--e.g. I'd have some space in the toe box because of how Jacksons are shaped. She also said that I'm fairly even throughout my foot to my heel (shows what I know--I am wider at the ball when standing, though), so a Jackson might be a no-go anyway. She did say maybe a Risport or Edea, but she wasn't sure and definitely thought I should travel and try things on, which is my plan once I figure out where to go (thank you for the names, Ic3Rabbit!)

I do have to admit that I am feeling a little discouraged learning that I will probably need to spend over $700 for boots+blades--for my first pair of skates ever! Not to mention travel costs. 😥
If your foot is shaped the way you say, you need Jackson or Risport. Edea is a no go, because they make more narrow boots and your foot will spread in the boot and it's going to hurt you and not be comfortable whatsoever. With a Jackson you can heat and shape the boot to better fit your foot instead of it just being crushed in there like I fear it will with edea.

You need what you need when it comes down to cost. Skating isn't a cheap sport by any means. Now, that price won't be every year or at least should not be, unlike elites who go through about 2 pairs every year to 18 mos.

Anything else, you can inbox me.