Twizzles: choreography killer or choreography element? | Golden Skate

Twizzles: choreography killer or choreography element?

Landing

Rinkside
I’m sorry if this topic has been already discussed but before Pechalat/Bourzat FD this season I used to think there’s no doubt about it: twizzle series are choreography killers. However, in ‘Charlie Chaplin’ routine twizzles appeared to be a nice accent that absolutely fitted in the choreography. Do you think it is an exception or a new tendency may start here?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'd disagree, in general. IMO, in every season, there have been dances where the twizzles fit beautifully, and other dances where they were just stuck in.

Twizzles fit especially well in a lot of the faster rhythmed folk dance OD's from last season, for example. And in the ragtime and Charleston ODs of the year before. But if I were wishful of improving the choreographic look of twizzles in some teams' dances, I'd get rid of the 'feature' where the skaters grab their free foot- it is very seldom that this goes with the dance they are doing; maybe in folk dances it is appropriate, but not much else. Putting the leg out to the side as a feature, or twizzling in an attitude position works well in waltzes.

Teams twizzle a whole lot better now, in general, than they did back when COP started and you would see teams that scored relatively well who couldn't do a twizzle properly in their weaker rotational direction.

Landing

Rinkside
I agree that twizzles in whole do look better because teams in general do twizzle better; however, the problem that twizzles are treated as just a scoring element and not as an esthetical part of the choreography is far from being solved.

The main problem for this element is the longitude. For many, twizzles are the hardest element of the contemporary ice dance and teams tend to put all the twizzling in one long sequence (for weaker teams, long enough to forget what the dance was all about). It’s quite visible that they feel they do the element, take a deep breath, and start dancing again. That alone can kill the choreography; of course it’s not a problem for stronger teams who twizzle really fast. Though, even for them it’s still the question if twizzles fit the overall character of the dance.

If fast rotation as such fits the dance, then twizzles, at least theoretically, do fit it: it’s fine for folk dances, waltzes, folk waltzes :) but just think about rumba or cha-cha-cha! Some short fast rotation might be acceptable but spinning all across the field is ridiculous.

What I liked about ‘Charlie Chaplin’ is that twizzles were splitter in several short series and displayed rather as linking moves between other elements then a separated element itself. That allows much more variety how to use twizzles well in different choreographies. I really hope choreographers will remember that if it is rumba next season!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The reason the twizzles are split in short series in Chaplin is that P&B chose the 3 piece twizzle series to earn a level 4 twizzle. The Shibutanis make the same choice. Their alternative is to do something that is a hard entry to the twizzle, like jumping into the first series. The 3 part twizzle was a good choice for P&B because it minimizes the fact that the direction of twizzle in the second group is significantly worse for Bourzat than the first and third group, and the judges always remember best what they saw most recently.

I agree that twizzles suit some programs better than others-waltzes, folk dances.

When you mention twizzles are inappropriate for cha cha, you are right. However, IMO, cha cha is a bad choice for ice dancing period. The basic dance involves a forward step, a retrograde step, followed by 3 staccato steps (cha cha cha). The staccato steps are apt not to be on edges, because they are too quick, and the retrograde looks wrong even if you do it.

However, next year's short dances only require the rhumba and the cha cha as pattern dances. Other Latin rhythms can be used for the rest of the dance (but not tango). Salsa or samba and twizzles would go together very well, I think, and if the skaters are wise, that's what they will do. Cumbia would work well too, but I'm not sure whether it is allowed.

Landing

Rinkside
What if staccato steps are replaced by a twizzle? Just saying because I guess it wouldn’t meet the requirements.

Speaking about what is possible and what is not, is it possible to use 4 piece twizzle series?... I guess I still believe, the shorter the twizzle series are, the better for the choreography :biggrin: