U.S Ladies 2011-2012 Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

U.S Ladies 2011-2012 Thread

Poodlepal

On the Ice
^^^^^^You mean it's "nice to see someone with big jumps?"
I liked both of these girls a lot. Samantha, like Agnes, is tough and sexy--something different from "delicate, dainty princess skaters" who seem to have taken over the last few years (and girls like Rachael who are not delicate or dainty, but try to emulate them unsuccessfully).

I just hope that one of these ladies is or will be soon, a real medal contender at Worlds and Olympics. We don't need more good-but-not-great-or-inconsistent skaters who can come in from 5th to 12th but is never really a podium threat. Watching the gymnastics tournament this weekend, it was nice to see our national champion actually competitive with national champions from other countries. It used to be like that in skating, too. Now it's like, wow, I wonder if she'll make the last group to skate?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^^^^^^You mean it's "nice to see someone with big jumps?"
I liked both of these girls a lot. Samantha, like Agnes, is tough and sexy--something different from "delicate, dainty princess skaters" who seem to have taken over the last few years (and girls like Rachael who are not delicate or dainty, but try to emulate them unsuccessfully).

I just hope that one of these ladies is or will be soon, a real medal contender at Worlds and Olympics. We don't need more good-but-not-great-or-inconsistent skaters who can come in from 5th to 12th but is never really a podium threat. Watching the gymnastics tournament this weekend, it was nice to see our national champion actually competitive with national champions from other countries. It used to be like that in skating, too. Now it's like, wow, I wonder if she'll make the last group to skate?

You got me curious. Here's where our champions ended up as far as the FS skate order.

2011 - Alissa -- final flight (4th after SP; Rachael was in 8th in second-to-last flight)
2010 - Rachael -- final flight (6th after SP; Mirai was 1st and also in the final flight)
2009 - Alissa -- third-to-last flight (14th after SP; Rachael was 7th in second-to-last flight)
2008 -- Mirai -- n/a as she was too young for Worlds. (no U.S. woman in final flight; Kimmie was in the second-to-last flight with 9th place SP)
2007 -- Kimmie -- final flight (4th after SP)
2006 -- Sasha -- final flight (1st after SP; Kimmie was also in final flight)

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Exactly. Skating in the final flight is about all we could hope for with this bunch. Nobody since 2006 was anywhere near a gold or silver medal, when all was said and done. I'm sick of this whole bunch, frankly. I appreciate their finer points, and I'm sure they're lovely, but if they can't get on the podium at this world's, they should all go to Chemical Engineering school.

2007--Kimmie is America's best and she's clearly not at the level of the Asian girls. (Japanese girls plus Yuna)
2008--There was barely even anyone to send to this competition. Kimmie's in a steep decline.
2009--Almost as bad as 2008. Didn't Rachael come in 5th that year? Oh yes, there was hope that her consistency would win the day.
2010--Oh well, so much for Rachael's consistency. Mirai choked worse than anything I've ever seen.
2011--Alissa worked up to her potential, but again, she's below the level of the best.

So, the last few years we've had a former champion in free fall, a "journeywoman" skater in her 20's who does well at some competitions but not others, another good-but-not great skater who will never win points for her artistry, and someone with incredible potential, but a history of choking and not doing the jumps right.

Where is the person who is fairly consistent, does the jumps correctly, can stand pressure, and artistry? They have skaters with these qualities. They used to have them in America, too. Remember Michelle? Sasha (who was inconsistent, but good enough to get a silver or bronze)? Sarah? Tara?